Thread: 05 Vett E-40 ECU P0601 ROM Error - New ECU Swap Question

Registered Newbie

vCash

05 Vett E-40 ECU P0601 ROM Error - New ECU Swap Question

Hello,

My '05 Vette went dead with a P0601 ECM ROM error fault. It has done this a few years ago and the dealer just re-flashed the ECU. Unfortunately, the problem came back and left us stranded. So this time I decided to replace the ECU. I am having a few difficulties with this swap, so I was hoping to get some guidance.

First off the old ECU is not totally dead, so I was able to upload the operating system and calibration with EFIlive. I purchased an E40 ECU bench harness which seems to work well. I also purchased a new ECU from GMpartsdirect and loaded that saved operating system and calibration into the new controller.

The engine will start and idle, but It has two codes.

1) I have a P2138 Throttle pedal channels not within range (or something like that). The engine starts and idles, but as soon as I depress the gas pedal, it trips on the fault. I have logged both channel D and channel E with the scan tool. On both the new an old ECU, Channel D is exactly half of Channel E (or vise-versa I can't recall). This actually concurs to what the schematic in the service manual suggest. It shows channel D to be equipped with double the resistance of channel E. It seems to be something in the calibration. It's almost like the new ECU wants the channels to be equal, but the old ECU understands they should be in a (2x) relationship. I have looked but I did not see a throttle pedal learn feature in the DVT tab of the EFIlive software.

2) I also have the P0315 Crank angle not learned fault, but of course I can't rev the engine to 4,000 RPM until I can get it to listen to the throttle pedal.

This is not an emergency, the Vette is not my daily driver, but any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    Hello again.

I also asked for some advice over on the EFI Live forum. So far I have only received one reply:
    "You might have to get your new ECM programmed specifically for your VIN using TIS... I don't have any further detail."

So can anyone shed some more light on this.

I assume this means a load via the Tech 2 and TIS2000 software.

I was under the impression that using the EFI live function "load operating system and calibration" loaded the "entire" software platform.

Is there more that get's loaded by the Tech2 which will tailor the program inside the ECU more thoroughly than the EFILive?

Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brossjd View Post
    Hello again.

I also asked for some advice over on the EFI Live forum. So far I have only received one reply:
    "You might have to get your new ECM programmed specifically for your VIN using TIS... I don't have any further detail."

So can anyone shed some more light on this.

I assume this means a load via the Tech 2 and TIS2000 software.

I was under the impression that using the EFI live function "load operating system and calibration" loaded the "entire" software platform.

Is there more that get's loaded by the Tech2 which will tailor the program inside the ECU more thoroughly than the EFILive?

Thanks

Contact John Spears at Speartech. Absolutely the BEST LS engine tuner in the business before you do anything with your ECM. There are a few tricks to correctly loading the OS and John knows them all. (765) 378-4908
    Last edited by fitz; 09-07-2017 at 06:10 AM.