Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The R got a little quicker over night

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyboost View Post
    No hate. I like the car. I do not feel that a Golf for 35k is a reasonably priced car, hence my comment.
    I used to be a VW nutbar. But after buying other cars that didn't break all the time, I changed my ways.

And the civic R? I don't care if it's the fastest thing around.....it looks like a fucking clown car.
    What's a reasonably priced performance car today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    What's a reasonably priced performance car today?
    A GTI maybe.

Registered Member

vCash
    So a different car basically.. you're losing awd and down 25-30% in power and paying 27-32 depending on trim. For a few thousand more, I'd argue you're getting a good bit more car, performance wise.

If you want an awd sports car, there are no cheaper options and very few in the category to begin with.

A quick look back 10 years ago and a 2007 STI which was a highly regarded awd compact, retailed for 33-34k, which is right around 40k in today's dollars. Add in safety features and overall chassis improvements (more quiet, refined, comfortable, etc), and that you can get a new Golf R for less than the STI's inflation corrected price, and I'd call that pretty decent. Is it a chunk of money? Of course.. I just think it's easy to forget what inflation has done to our idea of what cars should cost.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Romulus; 08-18-2017 at 06:21 PM.

vCash
    So a different car basically.. you're losing awd and down 25-30% in power and paying 27-32 depending on trim. For a few thousand more, I'd argue you're getting a good bit more car, performance wise.

If you want an awd sports car, there are no cheaper options and very few in the category to begin with.

A quick look back 10 years ago and a 2007 STI which was a highly regarded awd compact, retailed for 33-34k, which is right around 40k in today's dollars. Add in safety features and overall chassis improvements (more quiet, refined, comfortable, etc), and that you can get a new Golf R for less than the STI's inflation corrected price, and I'd call that pretty decent. Is it a chunk of money? Of course.. I just think it's easy to forget what inflation has done to our idea of what cars should cost.

YMMV.
    Gtfo with logic. It is named golf. Therefore it's a rip off, period.

Registered Member

vCash

vCash
    Hope you got my point. The hate is illogical and stupid. That car is a bargain. Too bad about the looks.

Registered Member

vCash
    Oh, gotcha. Yea I dunno, times are pretty good if we can be picky about 4cyl cars that can run 11s with a damn tune.

vCash
    Oh, gotcha. Yea I dunno, times are pretty good if we can be picky about 4cyl cars that can run 11s with a damn tune.
    I faced the same stupidity when I had a SHO. Had the car been called a Galaxy SHO instead of a Taurus SHO, ls2 would have liked it, but because of the name "taurus", endless ridicule. Ignore the actual characteristics of the vehicle.

vCash
    any more mods to the fanny pack this weekend?

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    How many miller lites can you fit in a fanny pack? Asking for a friend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    How many miller lites can you fit in a fanny pack? Asking for a friend.

vCash
    Keeping this coke zeros away from the wife OP? Smart move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    Nah. Thought about washing it but fuck this humidity

Next mod will most likely be Emanuele design lowering springs which will drop it about an inch iirc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I faced the same stupidity when I had a SHO. Had the car been called a Galaxy SHO instead of a Taurus SHO, ls2 would have liked it, but because of the name "taurus", endless ridicule. Ignore the actual characteristics of the vehicle.
    No, even Romulus probably thinks youre a ****** for buying the SHO. And you are.

vCash
    I don't get the hating on the looks of the car. I think it looks pretty good. There are a lot of cars I'd rather have for the money though, but that's why I spent way less and bought my Z06.

vCash
    The car is fine. But I know Mike is well heeled and I presume a motorsports fan by being on the board. At least it was a car based forum at one point. As such, I know he could do better.

vCash
    Ugh, I want to do the downpipe on mine too, but I'd have to upgrade the clutch and they are rediculous $$$ for one that can handle any power. Stupid VW for giving the R the GTI clutch. I'm just running a JB4 with the pre-load tune for now because I don't want to buy a new clutch

Do you have the dogbone?

And for those that may not know the Golf and Jetta are named after wind... Gulf stream and Jet stream. The name was just kinda lost in translation and there was apparently nobody around to tell VW not to name their car after a sport for old white guys that wear funny pants.

Rise early. Work hard. STRIKE OIL! CT Morgan's Avatar

vCash
    Some people will give you shit no matter what. Just gotta consider the audience when deciding to care or not.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsnob View Post
    And for those that may not know the Golf and Jetta are named after wind... Gulf stream and Jet stream. The name was just kinda lost in translation and there was apparently nobody around to tell VW not to name their car after a sport for old white guys that wear funny pants.

Almost all of their american cars got names from that sort of things back then. aka: Weather/wind related things.

Passatwinde is German for trade winds, and in this case it was abbreviated to just Passat.

Scirocco is named after a hurricane-force wind that originates in the Sahara Desert.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsnob View Post
    Do you have the dogbone?

034 Motorsports Transmission insert as well as the 4 inserts for the rear subframe (https://store.034motorsport.com/bill...en-golf-r.html)

The dogbone made the shifts a bit more crisp with negligible NVH. I sometimes notice just a slight touch of noise/vibration when at a stoplight, very very faint. The rear sub-frame inserts made a very slight difference in WOT crisp feel as well.

I also installed a SuperPro 24mm rear swaybar. It didn't make as much of a drastic change as I would have thought it would (coming from a '11 WRX with front/rear sways). Car still pigs a bit with my Michelin PSS when I do a 50mph u-turn by my work (I slow down to about 30ish depending on oncoming traffic).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    No, even Romulus probably thinks youre a ****** for buying the SHO. And you are.

May you:

-be situated on the couch, reclined, with a beer, favorite TV show starting, realize the TV is on mute, and the remote is across the room
    -experience the sensation of 1000 lost sneezes
    -only own streaming devices that can't properly sync audio with video
    -stub your toe painfully in the middle of the night
    -go on a date with a beautiful woman, have the best date of your life, take her home to your place, only to discover she's a pre-op tranny hung like a horse
    -be served ribeye when you ordered filet

vCash
    Oh and may you be forced to see Nickelback in concert. Twice.

vCash
    May you:

-be situated on the couch, reclined, with a beer, favorite TV show starting, realize the TV is on mute, and the remote is across the room
    -experience the sensation of 1000 lost sneezes
    -only own streaming devices that can't properly sync audio with video
    -stub your toe painfully in the middle of the night
    -go on a date with a beautiful woman, have the best date of your life, take her home to your place, only to discover she's a pre-op tranny hung like a horse
    -be served ribeye when you ordered filet

REPORTED. That's just over the line you ****.

vCash
    Oh and may you be forced to see Nickelback in concert. Twice.
    Halfway there unfortunately, saw them maybe 12 or years ago. But at least I got the tickets for free from a hot stripper that was giving me multiple lap dances for free

I may buy an old retired cop car taurus just to trigger you (saw a 3.5TT AWD one sell at auction recently for like 1800$)...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Halfway there unfortunately, saw them maybe 12 or years ago. But at least I got the tickets for free from a hot stripper that was giving me multiple lap dances for free

I may buy an old retired cop car taurus just to trigger you (saw a 3.5TT AWD one sell at auction recently for like 1800$)...
    If you buy a taurus after all that you can

vCash
    If you buy a taurus after all that you can
    Fuck I have to do it now. Berman be all: