Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The R got a little quicker over night

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyboost View Post
    No hate. I like the car. I do not feel that a Golf for 35k is a reasonably priced car, hence my comment.
    I used to be a VW nutbar. But after buying other cars that didn't break all the time, I changed my ways.

And the civic R? I don't care if it's the fastest thing around.....it looks like a fucking clown car.
    What's a reasonably priced performance car today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    What's a reasonably priced performance car today?
    A GTI maybe.

Registered Member

vCash
    So a different car basically.. you're losing awd and down 25-30% in power and paying 27-32 depending on trim. For a few thousand more, I'd argue you're getting a good bit more car, performance wise.

If you want an awd sports car, there are no cheaper options and very few in the category to begin with.

A quick look back 10 years ago and a 2007 STI which was a highly regarded awd compact, retailed for 33-34k, which is right around 40k in today's dollars. Add in safety features and overall chassis improvements (more quiet, refined, comfortable, etc), and that you can get a new Golf R for less than the STI's inflation corrected price, and I'd call that pretty decent. Is it a chunk of money? Of course.. I just think it's easy to forget what inflation has done to our idea of what cars should cost.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Romulus; 08-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.

vCash
    So a different car basically.. you're losing awd and down 25-30% in power and paying 27-32 depending on trim. For a few thousand more, I'd argue you're getting a good bit more car, performance wise.

If you want an awd sports car, there are no cheaper options and very few in the category to begin with.

A quick look back 10 years ago and a 2007 STI which was a highly regarded awd compact, retailed for 33-34k, which is right around 40k in today's dollars. Add in safety features and overall chassis improvements (more quiet, refined, comfortable, etc), and that you can get a new Golf R for less than the STI's inflation corrected price, and I'd call that pretty decent. Is it a chunk of money? Of course.. I just think it's easy to forget what inflation has done to our idea of what cars should cost.

YMMV.
    Gtfo with logic. It is named golf. Therefore it's a rip off, period.

Registered Member

vCash

vCash
    Hope you got my point. The hate is illogical and stupid. That car is a bargain. Too bad about the looks.

Registered Member

vCash
    Oh, gotcha. Yea I dunno, times are pretty good if we can be picky about 4cyl cars that can run 11s with a damn tune.

vCash
    Oh, gotcha. Yea I dunno, times are pretty good if we can be picky about 4cyl cars that can run 11s with a damn tune.
    I faced the same stupidity when I had a SHO. Had the car been called a Galaxy SHO instead of a Taurus SHO, ls2 would have liked it, but because of the name "taurus", endless ridicule. Ignore the actual characteristics of the vehicle.