Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: The R got a little quicker over night

  1. #61
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    9,885
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyboost View Post
    No hate. I like the car. I do not feel that a Golf for 35k is a reasonably priced car, hence my comment.
    I used to be a VW nutbar. But after buying other cars that didn't break all the time, I changed my ways.

    And the civic R? I don't care if it's the fastest thing around.....it looks like a fucking clown car.
    What's a reasonably priced performance car today?

  2. #62
    Hissin' Buford scottyboost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Freakville, FL
    Posts
    25,871
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    What's a reasonably priced performance car today?
    A GTI maybe.

  3. #63
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    9,885
    vCash
    0
    So a different car basically.. you're losing awd and down 25-30% in power and paying 27-32 depending on trim. For a few thousand more, I'd argue you're getting a good bit more car, performance wise.

    If you want an awd sports car, there are no cheaper options and very few in the category to begin with.


    A quick look back 10 years ago and a 2007 STI which was a highly regarded awd compact, retailed for 33-34k, which is right around 40k in today's dollars. Add in safety features and overall chassis improvements (more quiet, refined, comfortable, etc), and that you can get a new Golf R for less than the STI's inflation corrected price, and I'd call that pretty decent. Is it a chunk of money? Of course.. I just think it's easy to forget what inflation has done to our idea of what cars should cost.

    YMMV.
    Last edited by Romulus; 08-18-2017 at 05:21 PM.

  4. #64
    You're fired. Hebrew Barrister's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    TEXASS
    Posts
    185,956
    vCash
    2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    So a different car basically.. you're losing awd and down 25-30% in power and paying 27-32 depending on trim. For a few thousand more, I'd argue you're getting a good bit more car, performance wise.

    If you want an awd sports car, there are no cheaper options and very few in the category to begin with.


    A quick look back 10 years ago and a 2007 STI which was a highly regarded awd compact, retailed for 33-34k, which is right around 40k in today's dollars. Add in safety features and overall chassis improvements (more quiet, refined, comfortable, etc), and that you can get a new Golf R for less than the STI's inflation corrected price, and I'd call that pretty decent. Is it a chunk of money? Of course.. I just think it's easy to forget what inflation has done to our idea of what cars should cost.

    YMMV.
    Gtfo with logic. It is named golf. Therefore it's a rip off, period.

  5. #65
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    9,885
    vCash
    0

  6. #66
    You're fired. Hebrew Barrister's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    TEXASS
    Posts
    185,956
    vCash
    2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Hope you got my point. The hate is illogical and stupid. That car is a bargain. Too bad about the looks.

  7. #67
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    9,885
    vCash
    0
    Oh, gotcha. Yea I dunno, times are pretty good if we can be picky about 4cyl cars that can run 11s with a damn tune.

  8. #68
    You're fired. Hebrew Barrister's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    TEXASS
    Posts
    185,956
    vCash
    2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Oh, gotcha. Yea I dunno, times are pretty good if we can be picky about 4cyl cars that can run 11s with a damn tune.
    I faced the same stupidity when I had a SHO. Had the car been called a Galaxy SHO instead of a Taurus SHO, ls2 would have liked it, but because of the name "taurus", endless ridicule. Ignore the actual characteristics of the vehicle.

  9. #69
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    91,493
    vCash
    6525
    any more mods to the fanny pack this weekend?

  10. #70
    Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    PC Florida
    Posts
    18,134
    vCash
    25
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: spddmn24
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    any more mods to the fanny pack this weekend?
    How many miller lites can you fit in a fanny pack? Asking for a friend.

  11. #71
    Whataburger > * Dr Griswold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    91,493
    vCash
    6525
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    How many miller lites can you fit in a fanny pack? Asking for a friend.

  12. #72
    Registered Member nbmplano's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Addison, TX
    Posts
    27,185
    vCash
    6930
    Keeping this coke zeros away from the wife OP? Smart move.

  13. #73
    I'm flowin' prose Mike Hawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    54,574
    vCash
    2241
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Griswold View Post
    any more mods to the fanny pack this weekend?
    Nah. Thought about washing it but fuck this humidity

    Next mod will most likely be Emanuele design lowering springs which will drop it about an inch iirc.

  14. #74
    What Would Oddjob Do? 5.0THIS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    25,337
    vCash
    1943
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I faced the same stupidity when I had a SHO. Had the car been called a Galaxy SHO instead of a Taurus SHO, ls2 would have liked it, but because of the name "taurus", endless ridicule. Ignore the actual characteristics of the vehicle.
    No, even Romulus probably thinks youre a ****** for buying the SHO. And you are.

    ******.


  15. #75
    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    23,670
    vCash
    25
    I don't get the hating on the looks of the car. I think it looks pretty good. There are a lot of cars I'd rather have for the money though, but that's why I spent way less and bought my Z06.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •