Thread: Need help - destroyed cam & lifters & not sure why

Registered Newbie

vCash

Need help - destroyed cam & lifters & not sure why

All - I could please really use some help here.

Last weekend my '06 TBSS' motor developed a valvetrain tick. After popping the heads off I discovered that 14 of 16 lobes were chewed up pretty good on the cam, and all of the rollers on the lifters are damaged. Some of them pretty severely.

Here's the kicker, back in 2014 I replaced the cam (exact same one as before - high lift stealth cam) and lifters due to a single chewed up lifter. The prior cam had a good 70k mi on it without any issues but for some reason I only got 40k on this one. The only upgrade I made was install some Brian Tooley Platinum valve springs to handle the +0.600" lift of the cam. Other than that everything is identical to what was in it before. Have any of you seen this type of damage before and what is the likely culprit?

Again, the only real change I made was upgrade the valve springs from the stock single-coil ones to the Brian Tooley Platinum double-spring valve springs.

Are the valve springs too stiff for this cam? Would running break-in oil and ZDDP additive help this next go around?

Here are the specs with pics to follow...

Cam:
    PCMofNC High Lift Stealth Cam (215/227, .60x/.61x, @ .050″, 116 LSA)

Lifters:
    LS7

Pushrods:
    Trick Flow 7.4" +0.080"

Rockers:
    Stock

Valve Springs:
    Brian Tooley Platinum Valve springs
    Max 0.660" Lift
    155 lbs @ 1.780",
    380 lbs @ 1.180",
    400 lbs @ 1.130,
    Coil bind @ 1.070"

Here are pics of the damage to cam and lifters:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdn181 View Post
    All - I could please really use some help here.

Are the valve springs too stiff for this cam? Would running break-in oil and ZDDP additive help this next go around?
    Something in the valve train is not well matched to the cam you are using and I believe it is the springs. If you carefully prelubed the cam and lifters that is not likely the problem but too much pressure on the rollers likely is. It generates more heat and the results resemble a lack of lubrication. Check springs for length, spring pressure and coil binding.