Thread: Picked up another new to me car

vCash

Picked up another new to me car

Been really good the last couple years and have driven the dart and my 98 dually without buying/selling anything but boats. Pretty good for me but I've been itching to dump the dart so I picked up a new to me DD. 2014 Ford Focus ST with the ST2 package.

I can say I'm pretty disappointed. I read about the seats being terrible but at 6'2 and 200lbs I figured I'd be fine, no freaking way. You'd basically have to be a little kid to fit in them. The rear motor mount is definitely terrible so a new one will be coming soon. Clutch is extremely stiff, worse than anything I remember including a viper.

So the original owner I bought it from said he took really good care of it lol. I'm not real impressed there either but I bought it in freezing rain so it's definitely my fault on that one. The front cover clear is totally chewed up from bugs, I mean the worst I've ever seen. So either this paint is extremely soft or it was never washed. The driver's side rear fender lip has two bubbles of rust already, 34,000 miles, pretty crazy anything would rust that fast. I'm not sure if the dealer will cover that or not? I'm hoping I can try and sand the front cover and clean it up somewhat.

Just a couple pics from today after I finished cleaning it up:

time for your annual... Dr. Lexus's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection
    My limited time on mustang6g.....and I thought this place was useless....and there are lots of issues with the mustang paint. Including the bubbling.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Sell it and get a '16 Camaro

vCash
    Or a raptor

vCash
    Lol

vCash
    Why did you buy it with these issues?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Or an Aston Martin

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lexus View Post
    My limited time on mustang6g.....and I thought this place was useless....and there are lots of issues with the mustang paint. Including the bubbling.
    You should see an explorer forum. Hood issues abundant. My wife's included.

OP if you're still under the bumper to bumper Ford should take care of it. If not, the corrosion warranty is a complete joke. It will only apply if the metal perforates

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    Why did you buy it with these issues?
    It was freezing rain, didn't care to stand out in it and inspect it with a fine tooth comb. The rust is pin head size but still annoying. Front cover will hopefully be able to be sanded and buffed out, if not I'll have it redone. It was a good deal, I could still flip it for profit but I'll see if I can get used to it before I resell it. For now I still have the dart if I wanna sell this.

It should be a pretty fun car overall. It handles really well and if I feel like running 93 it can make good power with a tune. I really enjoyed my Cobalt SS and this is the closest thing made today.

vCash
    Fair enough

vCash
    Is it just the angle in the pictures or is that front hood gap pretty ridiculous?

Oh and at least it looks ok in the pics otherwise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Is it just the angle in the pictures or is that front hood gap pretty ridiculous?

Oh and at least it looks ok in the pics otherwise
    No, they're all like that. I don't understand how Ford ever got them out the door from the design stages with that good gap lol. I was looking for one and kept seeing it thinking man a lot of these must have been smashed and poorly redone. But nope, straight from Ford lol

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    I thought the hood was open at first

Registered Member

vCash
    You bought a car that you thought that the seats were terribly uncomfortable?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    You bought a car that you thought that the seats were terribly uncomfortable?
    Should be able to flip it for profit if I don't like it after awhile. So I was taking it whether I liked it or not. I like free money

vCash
    Nice car, I love mine 👍 I fit great in the Recaro seats, but I didn't want to pay more for them and the base seats are comfortable as hell too me, so ST1 works great for me.

If you don't have the upgraded e-focus RMM, or if you do and still gets the bang, look into the Mountune RMM, that's what I'm going with, eventually.

Getting it tuned?
    Last edited by HybridZ28; 04-09-2017 at 12:20 AM.

vCash
    No tune for now. Maybe some day get an fswerks tune if I enjoy the car. I planned on ordering the cp-e stage 2 two piece rmm for it, probably next week. Floor mats and mud flaps coming for it, I drove it a mile and back to get gas and couldn't believe the dust on the hatch. From what I read the flaps cut down on all the dust.

vCash
    What'd you pay for it??

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    There's something wrong with the clutch or he put an aftermarket one in it if its extremly stiff, mine is super light. Either that or he took out the assist spring, but that shouldn't make it that stiff? And throw a tune at it, I got an FRPP tune that puts it around 350wtq down low which makes it a decent dd. I haven't done a RMM because I don't want the vibrations associated with it, but I've been eyeing the monotune one if it doesn't increase it to a noticeable amount. That one has a pretty big drop on it from the looks of it too. You might be able to find someone with an st1 who would want to swap seats, or a focus titanium if you want leather. Those recaro's were definitely a contributing factor to me going with an ST1.

Pic of assist spring.
    Last edited by speed_demon24; 04-09-2017 at 08:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthyoo View Post
    What'd you pay for it??
    15, up here should be able to pull mid 16's. Came with a full set of winter's and free maintenance from for until 75,000 miles too. I don't think I'd have a problem selling it in a few weeks when the weather goes to warm mode.

Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    There's something wrong with the clutch or he put an aftermarket one in it if its extremly stiff, mine is super light. Either that or he took out the assist spring, but that shouldn't make it that stiff? And throw a tune at it, I got an FRPP tune that puts it around 350wtq down low which makes it a decent dd. I haven't done a RMM because I don't want the vibrations associated with it, but I've been eyeing the monotune one if it doesn't increase it to a noticeable amount. That one has a pretty big drop on it from the looks of it too. You might be able to find someone with an st1 who would want to swap seats, or a focus titanium if you want leather. Those recaro's were definitely a contributing factor to me going with an ST1.

Pic of assist spring.
    Hmm I doubt it. Dude was an engineer for Ford and super awkward. I can't see him doing anything like that but I'll look, thanks. It was totally stock down to the paper filter. He put a green filter in during the summer but switch back to the paper for winter. I didn't look at the springs but I don't think it's dropped. I'll look and see. He had every single piece of paper since the day he bought , oil changes, maintenance, everything, so I don't think he'd toss springs if he lowered it.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    Maybe it's just the shadows on the tires that make sure it look lowered.

vCash
    Couple months of ownership, like 2,500 miles, and I enjoy I a lot more than I did. It's still extremely uncomfortable but I'm used to it now, the handling makes it worth the poor ride/seating. It's seriously fun to drive around corners. People probably think I'm some teen goober when I fly around corners. Added some wheels so I can use the stockers for winter.