Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! 2017 Mustang Gear Ratio Question

Not your_girlfriend anymore! Kristie's Avatar

vCash

Question HELP!! 2017 Mustang Gear Ratio Question

I placed an order for a 2017 Mustang GT Premium last night (I planned on creating a build thread after I got the official word that the order had been placed). I have 24 hours to give the "final approval" for the car, and then the order will be submitted to Ford. I am having second thoughts about the gear ratio, and I need some input. I have four options: 3.15, 3.31, 3.55 ($495 more), and 3.73. This car will be my daily driver and will never see a track. I have no intentions to "street race" it either, it's just a car for me to drive and enjoy. With that being said, I do enjoy a little bit of power. I'm leaning towards a 3.55 rear axle because I feel that it would be a good middle of the road compromise (not that anything is "middle of the road" with these GTs). I think a 3.73 gear ratio would be a little too much for me (however, I went with an auto so I won't have to worry about shifting at odd intervals, either).

Thoughts?? Opinions?? Those who currently own a 2015-2017 Mustang, what do you have? Do you like it? Do you wish you would've gone with something different?

For those that haven't seen my thread in BnG, here are the specs for the car:

2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
    Grabber Blue
    5.0L V8 Engine
    Automatic Transmission w/ SelectShift
    401A Entertainment Group: better speakers/radio and memory features
    Black Accent Package (black pony on grill, black badges, black wheels, black spoiler)
    Ebony Leather

vCash
    as low as i'd go would be the 3.31s and would probably get the 3.15s.

the gears in the transmission are way lower than old automatics so 3.31 is lower than it sounds. the old A6 corvettes had like 2.56s

We're gonna need a bigger boat Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    I like lower gears, they tend to "wake up" a vehicle. Effortless torque, leave any stopsign with alacrity. Downside being higher RPM's on the highway, and slightly reduced mileage. If you do mostly highway miles, go up a bit, numerically lower- if more driving around town, the lower ratios, higher numerically can be fun. Used to run 4.10's in an LT1 Caprice that could lay rubber any time, any where. Would really fry the 1-2 upshift at about 40 MPH. Fun.

vCash
    I do an honest mix of around town vs. highway driving, but would say my highway driving does consist of stop and go traffic from time to time (which is different than cruising at 70mph for an extended period of time). I originally optioned the car out with the 3.15s, but now I'm thinking the 3.31 or 3.55 gears would feel better (and I'm not sure why Ford charges more for the 3.55s, any clue?? Other than maybe it's a more desirable gear ratio on the autos?).

I have driven a GT with 3.15s and a GT Performance Package with the 3.73s (but it was an M6, so it's not really fair to compare the two). I've spent the last hour or so looking at the new inventory at most of the local Ford dealerships trying to find a GT that I could test drive today, but every damn window sticker I look at has the 3.15s listed.

We're gonna need a bigger boat Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    Manufacturers are "motivated" to get the best CAFE numbers, average corporate fuel economy. They would prefer to sell the lower numbered axles to help themselves. People who are enthusiasts or sporty drivers would probably never notice the difference. I have 3.42's in my auto 4th gen Camaro, wouldn't have minded going even a little deeper. With the O.D. automatics, not really much of an issue any more.

vCash
    That makes sense.

In talking with my husband, he brings up a valid point: I have been driving the same car, a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix, for the past 16 years. ANYTHING is going to feel better than what I currently drive. He also doesn't think that I will be able to tell a difference between the 3.31s and the 3.55s, and since I can get the 3.31s without having to pay an additional fee then maybe that's the better choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristie View Post
    I've spent the last hour or so looking at the new inventory at most of the local Ford dealerships trying to find a GT that I could test drive today, but every damn window sticker I look at has the 3.15s listed.
    these are the ratios of the trans, it has way more ratios and way lower ratios to choose from.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_6R_transmission

you can't look at 3.15s the way you looked at 3.08s 15 years ago.

vCash
    Your husband has a good point. Save your cash and get the no cost option, this will be a huge step up for you.

FWIW I have a 2014 GT with the 3.73 and have averaged about 19mpg over the last 60k miles. I do a lot of highway, but that highway (495 around DC) is stop and go a lot.

vCash
    That makes sense.

In talking with my husband, he brings up a valid point: I have been driving the same car, a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix, for the past 16 years. ANYTHING is going to feel better than what I currently drive. He also doesn't think that I will be able to tell a difference between the 3.31s and the 3.55s, and since I can get the 3.31s without having to pay an additional fee then maybe that's the better choice.
    I think that's a solid plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
    Here's what I tell myself when I have questions like that:

People are reatarded.

vCash
    Well, shit. I made up my mind and called the dealer to have the 3.31 added to the build sheet, and apparently Ford's website is not correct. You can only get the 3.15 or the 3.55 ($495 extra) on the auto. The 3.31 and 3.73 are only available on the manual. Or so I'm being told.

So keep the 3.15 gears or pay for the 3.55 gears??

vCash
    Well, shit. I made up my mind and called the dealer to have the 3.31 added to the build sheet, and apparently Ford's website is not correct. You can only get the 3.15 or the 3.55 ($495 extra) on the auto. The 3.31 and 3.73 are only available on the manual. Or so I'm being told.

So keep the 3.15 gears or pay for the 3.55 gears??
    For me, I'd prefer the 3.55's... but for you and how you'll be using the car and what you're coming from, I think the 3.15's would be best. B/t those two anyway.

People are reatarded.

3.55s

More fun to drive, since I doubt you'll be doing heavy mods on it

Gas mileage won't take much of any hit. Worth it for now.
    Should've gotten the manual with 3.73s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    3.55s

More fun to drive, since I doubt you'll be doing heavy mods on it

Gas mileage won't take much of any hit. Worth it for now.
    Don't be that guy, nathan. No one likes the "should have gotten..." guy.

People are reatarded.

vCash
    Just got off the phone with the dealership...

I went for the 3.55 gears!!!

vCash
    Just got off the phone with the dealership...

I went for the 3.55 gears!!!

People are reatarded.

time for your annual... Dr. Lexus's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blunt_dissection
    I have mentioned before that the low end doesn't feel very strong, even with the 3.73 I have. Car REALLY wakes up acceleration-wise about 3500rpm. I dunno if it's torque-management or what, but it starts to pull much harder at that point.

I never drove an auto, but you made the right call with the 3.55

I am looking at adding a power pack tune. Supposedly an extra 40 lb/feet at 1500 rpm.

vCash
    I test drove a manual GT Performance Package with 3.73 gears immediately followed by an auto GT, and I honestly had more fun in the auto because I didn't have to pay super close attention to what I was doing. I just got to get in it and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DANSBIRD View Post
    Don't be that guy, nathan. No one likes the "should have gotten..." guy.
    I drove a white w/manual and 3.73s. That would've been the car I'd pick.

The feaux backseat is one of the main reasons I wasn't tempted to buy. Can't seat anyone back there

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    How many high torque cars have you DD's? I'd be concerned about you getting a bit foot happy and takin her sideways. Shorter the gear, easier it is to break the tires loose.

vCash
    The feaux backseat is one of the main reasons I wasn't tempted to buy. Can't seat anyone back there
    And??

It is a bit of a downside to the car, but we hardly ever go anywhere with more than just the two of us anyway. Definitely didn't let it deter me from buying it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lexus View Post
    I am looking at adding a power pack tune. Supposedly an extra 40 lb/feet at 1500 rpm.
    What is Ford's price on something like that?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

What is Ford's price on something like that?
    Base kit is air filter and a tune...$550. Supposedly allows a no-lift shift (throttle mapping) and peak gains of 13hp and 16 lb/ft. I am more interested at the supposed curve shift, with 40lb/ft more at 1500rpm. Rip off, I know, but keeps the warranty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    How many high torque cars have you DD's? I'd be concerned about you getting a bit foot happy and takin her sideways. Shorter the gear, easier it is to break the tires loose.
    Zero. And that was actually a concern of my husband's as well. Ten years ago it might've been a valid concern, but I feel like I will be a lot more cautious as I get to know the car. We also discussed the possibility of me taking a performance/safety driving class in the car (my suggestion) to ensure my safety.

vCash
    And let's be honest, a led foot would get me in trouble with the 3.15s just the same. So I don't think upgrading to the 3.55s will make a huge difference (Noticeable, yes. But it's not like it's adding 100rwhp).

vCash
    Gamer IDs

And let's be honest, a led foot would get me in trouble with the 3.15s just the same. So I don't think upgrading to the 3.55s will make a huge difference (Noticeable, yes. But it's not like it's adding 100rwhp).
    3.15 are more controllable.

And??

It is a bit of a downside to the car, but we hardly ever go anywhere with more than just the two of us anyway. Definitely didn't let it deter me from buying it.
    For me it was a huge downside. I'm used to cars having a smaller backseat, but they were at least use able. The mustang backseat, I couldn't fit back there at all. Just wasn't even possible. It sucks they ruined a feature of a pony car. You'll have a time where you need to take another passenger

For thing I'd do is a full delete. Rip the backseats out and put a few large subs. Make it somewhat worthwhile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    3.15 are more controllable.
    I don't foresee any issues controlling the car. I don't intend to turn off traction control, either. And I certainly won't be attending any Cars and Coffee events!

Registered Member

vCash
    I drove a white w/manual and 3.73s. That would've been the car I'd pick.

I wouldn't touch that manual transmission after driving a few of the 2016s. If I get a Camaro or a Corvette I want a manual transmission but I disliked that Mustang M6 so much that I would get an auto before the manual.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I don't foresee any issues controlling the car. I don't intend to turn off traction control, either. And I certainly won't be attending any Cars and Coffee events!
    lol yes you will, the Mustang must go to Cars& Coffee. You must not upset the Mustang!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gameskin
    I don't foresee any issues controlling the car.
    that's what they all say

vCash
    lol ya'll are acting like she's going to be throwing it in drive and slamming the pedal down everywhere she goes... also, y'all are acting like she's gonna need to baby it around like it's a 850rwhp drag car. It's a bone stock mustang on decently aggressive gears. Granted, it has some skinny tires, but I think she'll survive (as long as she doesn't try doing a burnout when leaving a car show).

vCash
    Gamer IDs

lol ya'll are acting like she's going to be throwing it in drive and slamming the pedal down everywhere she goes... also, y'all are acting like she's gonna need to baby it around like it's a 850rwhp drag car. It's a bone stock mustang on decently aggressive gears. Granted, it has some skinny tires, but I think she'll survive (as long as she doesn't try doing a burnout when leaving a car show).
    it's a mustang its probably already killed at least 2 people in the dealer's lot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    it's a mustang its probably already killed at least 2 people in the dealer's lot
    You do have a point.

People are reatarded.

vCash
    Good choice on 3.55s at the very least. Those cars are anemic down low with the lesser gears.

vCash
    Seriously!! But again, this is LS2!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Seriously!! But again, this is LS2!
    on a serious note I'd say get the 3.31s . I agree with the boyfriend probably not enough difference between them and the 3.55s on the street.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96lt1 View Post
    on a serious note I'd say get the 3.31s . I agree with the boyfriend probably not enough difference between them and the 3.55s on the street.
    The 3.31s and 3.73s only come on the M6, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    I wouldn't touch that manual transmission after driving a few of the 2016s. If I get a Camaro or a Corvette I want a manual transmission but I disliked that Mustang M6 so much that I would get an auto before the manual.
    it is a piece of shit. Only car I've ever missed shifting into 2nd gear. But still better than having an auto

vCash
    Gamer IDs

The 3.31s and 3.73s only come on the M6, apparently.
    I completely misread that lol. Sorry. I'd probably pay 500 for a jump from 3.15 to 3.55. It should scoot light to light where you say its only going to be driven

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Congrats on the new car!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Don't pay for the gears through Ford, just get the car with the standard gear ratio and then take it to a quality shop and have something like a 4.10 ratio put along with a good torque converter.

Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    Don't pay for the gears through Ford, just get the car with the standard gear ratio and then take it to a quality shop and have something like a 4.10 ratio put along with a good torque converter.

4.30s with a 5200 stall. Make that shit worthwhile

Blog Entries
    vCash
    4.30s with a 5200 stall. Make that shit worthwhile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GOFASTER View Post
    Congrats on the new car!
    Thank you!! I've waited 16 years for something new to drive (personal choice at this point I suppose, just didn't see the need to spend the money until I found something I really wanted). The next 6-10 (hopefully only 8) weeks are going to be BRUTAL!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    3.55's....

Hell if you hate it someone will swap you a 3.31 diff for sure looking for better gears. Congrats on the new ride also.

vCash
    Thanks, Aaron! And I don't think I'll have a problem not liking anything about the car.

So what was the total cost for the car?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

With the options she listed, I'm guessing just north of 42k MSRP before dealer costs,tax/tag...etc.

vCash
    MSRP on the build sheet is $42,555 and does not include tax, title, or license. My husband gets X Plan pricing through his employer, so that'll knock around $2k off. The Mustangs currently have a $250 rebate (which could change between now and when I take delivery) and I qualify for another $500 student rebate (graduated with my BSN in May). My Dad knows the owner of the dealership, so hopefully they'll do what they can for us when we talk final numbers. I know we will probably have less wiggle room since we ordered the car instead of buying one that was already in inventory somewhere. I'm not expecting a killer deal by any means, and knew that going into this. I'd be a happy camper if I could get it for $39k out the door.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lexus View Post
    With the options she listed, I'm guessing just north of 42k MSRP before dealer costs,tax/tag...etc.
    You're spot on!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

You're spot on!
    I lost count of how many times I played with "build your own" before I bought mine.

I didn't order it. But I had to find a discontinued color...so, same boat you were in as far as wiggle room. Ultimately I decided not to let 1-2k over 5 years bother me since this car was basically everything I wanted. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal on "a" mustang...but probably not that one.

Mine was 2016 gt premium track. Had a few things I didn't want....voice nav, reverse assist, enhanced security....whatever that is....$1500 in options I wouldn't have ordered. MSRP was 41.3k. I got it for 38.5k for the car ( x plan plus rebates) and 40k OTD.

I think you made a good choice with upgraded audio. Shorter gears will be much better for sure. I almost wish I had an auto for two reasons. The Manual is not that great. Second is notchy and I'm going to have to get it checked, though internet searches are not promising that this is not uncommon. Also. The motor is not THAT loud in the car and makes it almost hard to drive by engine note.
    Last edited by Dr. Lexus; 10-23-2016 at 03:17 AM.

vCash
    You and I share the same sentiment on multiple things. One of the main reasons I ordered the car is because I did not want navigation, the reverse sensing system, or adaptive cruise control with rain sensing windshield wipers (personal preference and has nothing to do with money). There isn't a single Grabber Blue GT Premium in the nation without all three of those options that has the black accent package and upgraded audio.

And as far as pricing, ditto. I have faith that I'll be treated fairly, but I'm wise enough to understand that money has to be made somewhere. I'm not going to hassle them over a grand or two, since the car is literally EXACTLY what I want.

I was ---> <--- close to ordering an Oxford White GT this time last year, but decided to wait. I'm so glad I did, because in March I found out that Grabber Blue was coming back on the 2017's. I stalked a local dealer's inventory and showed up a few days after one arrived to check it out in person. I was honestly torn for a while, because I genuinely loved the car in both colors. But then one day my husband said "Imagine yourself walking out of work after an exhausting 12-hour shift. You're tired, your feet hurt, but you look up and see your Mustang sitting there waiting for you. Which color is going to put a bigger smile on your face?". And he was right. The Oxford White looks great, it's sexy. But the Grabber Blue is FUN! So needless to say, that's what helped me make my decision.

vCash
    And I have to say, I honesty don't think I've ever seen a Guard Green Mustang before (I had to look it up after I ran across a thread of yours). It's a beautiful color, almost chameleon in nature as it changes depending on the light. You picked a great color!

MSRP on the build sheet is $42,555 and does not include tax, title, or license. My husband gets X Plan pricing through his employer, so that'll knock around $2k off. The Mustangs currently have a $250 rebate (which could change between now and when I take delivery) and I qualify for another $500 student rebate (graduated with my BSN in May). My Dad knows the owner of the dealership, so hopefully they'll do what they can for us when we talk final numbers. I know we will probably have less wiggle room since we ordered the car instead of buying one that was already in inventory somewhere. I'm not expecting a killer deal by any means, and knew that going into this. I'd be a happy camper if I could get it for $39k out the door.
    Not too bad. Although for that price point, I'd probably lean more towards a few years old GT500. But that's just me

Hope you find a good hobby to keep your mind occupied for the wait. 2 months is a longggggg time

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I don't know how you can stand the wait.......I'd probably give in to my very impulsive/impatient self and just get whatever was on the lot.

vCash
    Hope you find a good hobby to keep your mind occupied for the wait. 2 months is a longggggg time
    Quote Originally Posted by GOFASTER View Post
    I don't know how you can stand the wait.......I'd probably give in to my very impulsive/impatient self and just get whatever was on the lot.
    I've waited so long for the opportunity to buy this car, what's a few more weeks?! The dealer said I will have access to track the build after a VIN has been assigned. He also said it usually takes about 10 days from the day it's marked "In Transit" until it arrives at the dealer (train from Flynt, MI to Mesquite, TX and then on a truck to the dealership). Now those 10 days will most certainly be the longest 10 days of my life!! I know it'll be worth the wait, though.

vCash
    Congrats! And great choice on the gears! I bought my first new car back in March and I love it. Which dealer did you order from? Westway in Irving is where I bought mine from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridZ28 View Post
    Congrats! And great choice on the gears! I bought my first new car back in March and I love it. Which dealer did you order from? Westway in Irving is where I bought mine from.
    Cory had a contact at Five Star Ford in Carrollton that he recommended, but he has since transferred to Rockwall Ford which was a bit of a drive for us. My Dad knows Mike Brown (they used to work together before Mike opened his own store), so he actually called Mike and got me in touch with the Sales Manager at their store in Granbury.

You got a Focus ST, right? What color did you go with? Those things look fun to drive!
    Last edited by Kristie; 10-23-2016 at 12:35 PM.

vCash
    Cory had a contact at Five Star in Lewisville that he recommended, but he has since transferred to Rockwall Ford which was a bit of a drive for us. My Dad knows Mike Brown (they used to work together), so he actually called and got me hooked up with the Sales Manager at their store in Granbury.

You got a Focus ST, right? What color did you go with? Those things look fun to drive!
    Oh nice! That's great and hope the buying process goes smoothly for you

I sure did! 2016 ST with no options (I wanted it this way) in Magnetic Metallic. I take that back, it does have the optional machined faced 18s with Pzero all seasons and red painted calipers, but that's it.

I love it.

Hope the picture works, I'm using Tapatalk's uploader.

vCash
    Beautiful car, Ben! We saw a Focus RS in Stealth Grey this past weekend and I thought it looked awesome on the car (kind of a grey/blue/purple color).

Why no options, if you don't mind me asking?? Did you order from the factory, or purchase from a dealer's inventory? And how were you able to get the wheels, tires, and brake calipers without any other options? I love the GT Performance Package wheels (more than the set that comes with the black accent package) and love the staggered look of the tires. I wish Ford would've let me customize my order, but I plan on swapping them out when the first set of tires are due to be replaced.