Thread: Intermittent issues with rough idle and codes being thrown on the goat

vCash

Intermittent issues with rough idle and codes being thrown on the goat

Alright, first off, I know this topic has probably been beaten to death on these forums, but I haven't exactly found the same issue as someone else. With that being said I have done some of the inspecting and testing before the post and really I just want some clarification so I can get these codes cleared out before I take it in for a tune and make sure I don't have to spend money on parts I don't need. The car is giving me some issues that are intermittently showing. Rough idle and sometimes I'll feel it through the power band (which I'm assuming is the misfire code). But it only happens, you guessed it, every once in a while, but consistently.

Car info
    -2005 ls2 GTO with 40k miles
    -LT headers - catless - magnaflow mufflers
    -K&N CAI (which I want to get away from and get something better imo.. suggestions?)

Alright, so the codes being thrown:
    -P0131 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
    -P0171 Trim System Lean Bank 1
    -P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
    -P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1

My background is mostly on older vehicles like the classics, so I don't really have knowledge when it comes to the O2 sensors or ECM tunes, etc.. However, I've done a few things already using the Dash Command app that lead me to believe it is just a sensor, but I need some of you LSx gooroos to help me with any other diagnostic tips. I've changed the plugs because the Bank 1 plugs were very black and figured I might as well get a new set anyway (went with the AC Delco 41-110 @ .40 gap). I've spot checked the hoses for any vacuum leaks, didn't see any cracks, but I know I shouldn't rule that out (smoke test). Here's where it lead me to believe it's just the sensor, but before I go spend $50-60 on a new one I want to make sure I covered the bases on everything I need. I've switched the O2 sensors from side to side. Took the car out again and I'm getting the same exact codes BUT it's now Bank 2.

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure it's just the sensor, but if there are any other suggestions that'd be great.

vCash
    o2 sensor

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    They wear out, make the engine run crappy. The fact that the problem followed the same sensor on either side makes it pretty obvious.

Some people think AC Delco are the best, but Bosch invented the technology. I just use whatever is available, and cheapest. You've already pulled them, so you don't need my trick- they come out easier when they are hot.

vCash
    Yep. Went with my gut and got the O2 sensor. Went with Denso and it runs perfect. I'm still getting an Evaporative monitoring system check showing up, but no codes. Thanks for the feedback!!

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    When you figure out the evap system, let me know. I keep getting code PO 446, I have replaced both the vent and purge solenoids, no change. I also have a light pinging on throttle tip in. Maybe due for plugs? But why that would throw evap codes, no clue. I am about to replace the gas cap- Oh, on a 2001 LS1 Camaro. I even cleaned the throttle body, was wondering if the cats are getting clogged up... Making me nuts, been chasing it a month.