Thank you!

vCash
    "I'm an engine builder"

...spends 15 grand on a gm crate motor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    "I'm an engine builder"

12K not 15K and it made a good starting platform. After the induction, heads and a cam change Tom Nelson and the boys at Chevrolet Performance think it'll be pushing 1000HP at the crank. My work is right here for everyone to see. Where's yours, asshole?

......................//)
    ....................,/../
    .................../..../
    .............//'...'/`•
    ........../'/.../..../......./\
    ........('(.......... ~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.•
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...
    Last edited by fitz; 08-08-2016 at 02:58 AM.

vCash
    Woah, watch out folks.

Registered Member Jake the SSnake's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash
    1000hp? That seems a little optimistic.

vCash
    old man went from seemingly cool to defensive tool in no time in this thead

vCash
    Must be a touchy subject

I'll play nice, wouldn't want a finger flipped off at me now!

vCash
    I'd like to see a dyno number after you are done, pretty sure it'll take alot of Bald Eagles and American flags to achieve that number N/A.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake View Post
    1000hp? That seems a little optimistic.
    This is a vid of the same motor with only a FAST throttle body injection. No computer controlled timing, just open loop control and it went 750 HP and 830 ft lbs of torque. With a carb GM rates the motor at 620. There's only one set of long tubes for that motor...Sandersons and I run them as did NRE on this motor. A cam and head change with full closed loop control should reach well over 900. And that's on pump gas with 9.6:1 compression. No bald eagles and no flags required.

Last edited by fitz; 08-11-2016 at 05:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    old man went from seemingly cool to defensive tool in no time in this thead

Old man just wont tolerate a bunch of cheap shjt like this from some snarky idiot : "I'm an engine builder"

That was totally uncalled for. I have never seen a group that considered it to be bad manners to call out someone who was openly mocking you. You have earned a place on by ignore list.
    Last edited by fitz; 08-08-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Registered Member Jake the SSnake's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz View Post
    This is a vid of the same motor with only a FAST throttle body injection. No computer controlled timing, just open loop control and it went 750 HP and 830 ft lbs of torque. With a carb GM rates the motor at 620. There's only one set of long tubes for that motor...Sandersons and I run them as did NRE on this motor. A cam and head change with full closed loop control should reach well over 900. And that's on pump gas with 9.6:1 compression. No bald eagles and no flags required.

750 is pretty believable, pretty awesome for a pump gas NA motor tbh. But gaining another 200hp over that is crazy unless it has garbage heads and a tiny cam, which it obviously doesn't if it's hitting 750. Either way, it'll still be a beast

vCash

that motor does sound nasty!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake the SSnake View Post
    750 is pretty believable, pretty awesome for a pump gas NA motor tbh. But gaining another 200hp over that is crazy unless it has garbage heads and a tiny cam, which it obviously doesn't if it's hitting 750. Either way, it'll still be a beast
    The heads and cam certainly aren't crap in mine. Ride along with me in my truck while I lay down two blackmarks about as long as a football field. This is just a bone stock ZZ572 in my 3300 pound truck.

(updated the video link to u-tube)
    Last edited by fitz; 08-10-2016 at 12:34 AM.

vCash
    Finally! All of the wax on-wax off stuff is done. The lower manifold is now port matched to the heads, the lower runners have been shaped and smoothed for flow. The manifold is ready to go and I have the tank out to add the bung for the fuel return line. I might be able to start this beast on Saturday , that is if I don't go to Cars and Coffee. The boss tells me I have a brunch date with a couple with a 'Mulberry' Cobra Daytona. They want to run Silver State next month with us. Should be fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	25365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122[1].jpg 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	25366

I may be 'old' but I betcha I have more fun with cars than most! Come on out to Silver State this September and run your stuff!

Name:	399.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	25367

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Finally! All of the wax on-wax off stuff is done. The lower manifold is now port matched to the heads, the lower runners have been shaped and smoothed for flow. The manifold is ready to go and I have the tank out to add the bung for the fuel return line. I might be able to start this beast on Saturday , that is if I don't go to Cars and Coffee. The boss tells me I have a brunch date with a couple with a 'Mulberry' Cobra Daytona. They want to run Silver State next month with us. Should be fun!

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	25365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122[1].jpg 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	25366

I may be 'old' but I betcha I have more fun with cars than most! Come on out to Silver State this September and run your stuff!

Views:	57 
ID:	25367
    Running Silver State has been a dream of mine for 25 years. I will do it one day if it doesn't get shut down. I just need to get to the point where I have something called "disposable income". I think that's the term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windham View Post
    Running Silver State has been a dream of mine for 25 years. I will do it one day if it doesn't get shut down. I just need to get to the point where I have something called "disposable income". I think that's the term.
    Play money, or just enough money to play once in a while. Don't wait too long. Last year the organizers were 10 entries short of break even money so we are all concerned the event may just fade away. That would be a real loss. There are people who have run it every year since the start in 1989. This is a bunch of car people unlike any other. Most of us have a comfort zone that extends just a bit longer than our arm. These guys and gals have a comfort zone that won't fit in a football stadium. They are all very nice people, no ego just tons of the right stuff. Just imagine driving a Winston Cup car in full NASCAR regalia down a two lane country road for ninety miles and AVERAGING 209 MPH! If you meet the man who did that you would swear he could be a clerk in a grocery store. Quiet and soft spoken; just a very nice man. But oh, boy can he drive!
    Last edited by fitz; 08-10-2016 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    I didn't make quite as much progress as I had thought but, the lower manifold is in and torqued, injectors and fuel rail installed and the knock sensors are in. That took all of the time. I had to remove the headers on both sides to get them in. The distributor is also in and correctly shimmed to the oil pump drive. Getting the correct engagement of the oil pump drive a detail you do not want to miss. Too tight and you destroy the gear at the end of the distributor shaft and the cam gear. You should be able to pull the distributor shaft up, inside the housing about .010 to .020 when it is clamped tight. If it won't move vertically it's too tight. Remove it, drop the seating ring about .020 and try again. A little time here will save a tear down to replace the camshaft later. It's O-Beer thirty so I'm out to the pool for a swim!

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	25391
    Last edited by fitz; 08-15-2016 at 04:45 AM.

vCash
    Took the boss to cars and coffee yesterday. Glad I did. There is a company producing all aluminum bodied 1958 scarabs and there was a fine example there. Hillborn injected 283, everything was as Lance Reventlow originally conceived it!
    Powdercoated that Ram Jet Manifold in Black Chrome so it won't oxidize, installed fuel lines and sensors and did a trial fit this afternoon. Still needs lots of work routing wiring and I'm missing the fuel pressure and oil pressure sensors but the manifold is DONE! This has been pretty easy so far. The Holley R960A main harness plugs together easily and the connectors are standard. I ordered the GM big block version so IAC, TPS, IAT, MAP, CTS and Knock sensors all use the standard GM connectors. No searching around for the correct pigtails or building new connectors.

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	25402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	25403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	25404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	25405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	341.7 KB 
ID:	25406
    Last edited by fitz; 08-15-2016 at 05:45 AM.

vCash
    It's been an interesting couple of days. This Holley 960 system uses a knock sensor on each side of the engine to monitor spark knock and adjust timing as necessary to keep the engine just below the onset of knock. Sounds really great BUT you have to mount the sensors. On an engine that is already installed. Without taking everything off the block. That means stuff like headers, starter, remote oil filters and, yes, the steering box. Oh, my aching A! Two days, a sore back and a very clean floor under my truck the sensors are finally in and I didn't have to pull the engine, headers or starter to do it. The sensors aren't small. They use a 3/8 FIP threaded stud, much bigger than any of the holes already drilled in the block. I picked up a brass street elbow with 3/8 FIP female port on one side, and a 1/4 in male FIP outlet. Cutting off the male nipple and drilling through that hole with the correct size bit gave me a 90 degree mounting for the sensor that fit the 3/8-16 threaded boss just above the starter. The drivers side used a similar mount. I was going to celebrate after getting them installed.

Name:	wells12-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	25439

Name:	IMG_0138[1].jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	25440

Registered Member

vCash
    This thread makes me miss Arizona and it's car scene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Potent68 View Post
    This thread makes me miss Arizona and it's car scene.
    There are some really cool cars here.

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	25471

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	25472

Registered Member

vCash
    There are some really cool cars here.

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	25471

Name:	IMG_2141.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	25472
    Oh yea. I was stationed at Huachuca and ran with the LS1 crowd in Tucson for a few years.

vCash
    Oh yea. I was stationed at Huachuca and ran with the LS1 crowd in Tucson for a few years.
    The guy who owns that bare aluminum prototype is 74 and lives just south of Sonoita. I chased him up 83 early one Sunday morning in my Z06. I kept him from running away but for 20 miles through the twisties he stayed ahead of me. He really can drive that car and it is gorgeous. 3.8 litre jag six for power.

vCash
    It's been an interesting few days. The new Holley pump has a non-standard 12 AN fitting on the suction side and it has taken almost 4 days to locate one. Wallace Racing actually stocked it; the trick was finding Wallace Racing but now it's on the pump! The injector return bung has been installed in the tank, return has been routed through the frame and everything is ready to go back together!

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	25521

vCash
    This project is getting near the end. Spent the day disassembling part of the exhaust on the drivers side to install the O2 sensor. 2 hours to dismantle, 2 minutes to weld in the bung and two hours to put it back together.

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	25575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	25576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	25577
    Last edited by fitz; 08-27-2016 at 06:14 AM.

vCash
    You have a lift, and it still took 6 hours? Looks clean though.

vCash
    I work slow. There must be something wrong with my lift, though. No matter what I do, that thing just won't turn the wrenches for me!

vCash
    Engine wiring is now complete, fuel system has been pressure tested and the CD ignition is in. Several hours of continuity checking the harness remains followed by programming the ECU for sensor types, ignition timing source, injector type and flow rates and min fuel and oil pressure. When that's done the beast will be ready to start! UPS delivers the inlet cold air piping tomorrow along with the air filter so I will probably wait until that is on to start it for the first time.

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	25621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0147[1].jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	25622

vCash
    Haven't done much given the long weekend and the weather. I did get most if the inlet worked out and the PCV hose is on. Next step is loading the custom fuel tables and initial timing into the ECU and I can start this beast!

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	25651

vCash
    It sure looks pretty.

Registered Member

vCash
    that is one hell of a project!!! I don't have the talent to do that kind of work. Really nice job!!

vCash
    Haven't done any more on this. I really did want to finish before this week but it's time to go back to Ely, Nevada for four days of automotive Bacchanalia culminating on Sunday with the Silver State Classic. There's a new twist this year. In addition to the award of the "Hookers Choice" Trophy, determined and presented by the ladies of the Stardust Ranch; this year they are hosting a Memphis style BBQ. BBQ is courtesy of Ray Alexander from LA and the Stardust is providing the venue, drinks and everything else. HOOAH!

Come out and join the Old Fart Racing Team in the fastest Regularity Rally in the entire world. If you see Z06 #399, come by and say "hello". I'll start that truck and post the video when I get back. Provided my girlfriend doesn't execute me for taking her to dinner at a cathouse on Friday night! Life in the fast lane. Ain't it great? We are running the 135 MPH class this time with a tech speed of 150.

Name:	SSCC.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	25731

vCash
    Ran Silver State last Sunday in the 135 MPH class. Finished with an average speed for the 90 miles of 134.9749 MPH with a speed variance of 0.0251 mph and an arrival time 0.4469 seconds late. Good enough for a 3rd place finish. That was done withy a navigator on her second time out, using only two stop watches. Until last September she had never been to a car show or automobile race, much less navigated in a high speed regularity rally. Our top speed was 160 mph which we held for most of the last 15 miles to make up a 30 second deficit when we went through the narrows. Didn't see anyone from the forums this time. Give it a try! It is impossible to have more fun in a car with your clothes on. We had entries from Brazil, Norway, Japan and Kentucky and Texas this time. If they can make it, so can you!

Registered Member

vCash
    Ran Silver State last Sunday in the 135 MPH class. Finished with an average speed for the 90 miles of 134.9749 MPH with a speed variance of 0.0251 mph and an arrival time 0.4469 seconds late. Good enough for a 3rd place finish. That was done withy a navigator on her second time out, using only two stop watches. Until last September she had never been to a car show or automobile race, much less navigated in a high speed regularity rally. Our top speed was 160 mph which we held for most of the last 15 miles to make up a 30 second deficit when we went through the narrows. Didn't see anyone from the forums this time. Give it a try! It is impossible to have more fun in a car with your clothes on. We had entries from Brazil, Norway, Japan and Kentucky and Texas this time. If they can make it, so can you!
    Holy cow that's impressive. I can't believe that's only good enough for 3rd. Great job! Have you posted pics of the rig you're running for this?

vCash
    Holy cow that's impressive. I can't believe that's only good enough for 3rd. Great job! Have you posted pics of the rig you're running for this?

Here's a pair!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2103-1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	25811Click image for larger version. 

ID:	25810

Registered Member

vCash
    Here's a pair!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2103-1.jpg 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	25811Click image for larger version. 

ID:	25810
    That's awesome. I may have to look into some of these races when I finally pick up a sports car again.

vCash
    That's awesome. I may have to look into some of these races when I finally pick up a sports car again.
    There are more than a handful of Cadillac CTS's, Dodge Challengers, Camaros and Dodge Chargers that enter every year so it doesn't take a sports car. Jim and Jessica Black won their class in a Challenger with an average speed variance of 0.0004 MPH and a time that was 0.0109 seconds early. If you want to place in the more competitive classes, like 150, be ready to get your timing errors BELOW 0.010 seconds!
    It's fun, it's a challenge and you need to be able to drive. I was at 160 for the last 19 miles to get my time error low enough to podium!

vCash
    Well, I am back at it after three weddings and a race! Had to trouble-shoot that holley wiring harness...no spark and no ECU sync. Found a bad crimp on the output of the distributor for the crank trigger and another at the ECU for "sensor ground". Rather than put everything back together to spin the engine I hooked up the distributor and spun it with a cordless drill. Cam and Crank triggers synced at 30 RPM, spark started at 35 RPM so, now it is almost ready to start. All I need is a full day to static time the motor, put the distributor back in and mount the top half of the intake manifold. The software lets you look into what's going on in the ECU which is a great troubleshooting help.

Name:	ECU Out.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	26169.

vCash
    Good luck

Registered Member

vCash
    Well, I am back at it after three weddings and a race! Had to trouble-shoot that holley wiring harness...no spark and no ECU sync. Found a bad crimp on the output of the distributor for the crank trigger and another at the ECU for "sensor ground". Rather than put everything back together to spin the engine I hooked up the distributor and spun it with a cordless drill. Cam and Crank triggers synced at 30 RPM, spark started at 35 RPM so, now it is almost ready to start. All I need is a full day to static time the motor, put the distributor back in and mount the top half of the intake manifold. The software lets you look into what's going on in the ECU which is a great troubleshooting help.

Name:	ECU Out.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	26169.
    Nice to see the forward progress!

vCash
    Nice to see the forward progress!
    Let me tell you it feels really good! I could not get any spark and could not find out why. The tech support guy at Holley was claiming the starter had to spin the motor over 100 RPM before the system could achieve sync and begin generating any spark. That turned out to be a time consuming fairy tale. I swapped out the starter drive gears to raise the ratio from 5:1 to 3.25:1 to get the cranking speed up. All of that testing killed the battery so I had to find another. Still no spark. After all of that I decided to try to separate the long list of things that might be wrong by pulling the distributor, testing it stand alone to see if there was something going on with it. Sure enough, the crank trigger coming off the distributor connector was intermittent. The weatherpak connector had a bad crimp on the pin for that wire. That caused me to ring out every single wire in the system harness. Found a second bad crimp at the ECU end of the sensor ground. When the Holley guys designed that thing they daisychained all of the sensor grounds together by spliceing them together in the harness so there was only one ground to the ECU board ground. With that pin intermittent none of the sensors would work. That was a real pisser. It took two weeks to ring that wiring out. If I hadn't done it I would still be cursing. As it is, I fount a bad MAT sensor so I wait for the replacement to try again. Holley says nothing will work if it's bad but since I already have a system log file showing RPM Sync and the MSD box fired the coil in the test that's just another BS story from their tech support.

Needless to say, I don't have any faith in the guys answering their 800 number. They never learned you can't trouble shoot a car by sitting at a desk running their mouth on the phone. I'll not call them again.

In any event, the system attempts RPM sync at 26 RPM, Locks up at 30, begins firing the ignition at 35 so this beast is going to START! I'll post a video when it does. In the meantime, I'm going to get a beer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPM Sync.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	26173

vCash
    Was this the wiring harness on the truck, or the harness from Holley? Shame they sold you a non-working harness if so, which should be replaced free of charge IMO.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Wow. I never would have found the issue on my own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridZ28 View Post
    Was this the wiring harness on the truck, or the harness from Holley? Shame they sold you a non-working harness if so, which should be replaced free of charge IMO.
    It was the wiring harness from Holley that connects ECU to Injectors, sensors and distributor. The way they have the software set up nothing happens unless the ECU sees a stable crank trigger either from the dual sync distributor like I have or a true crank trigger mounted on the harmonic balancer. Once it has a stable crank trigger it reads the cam trigger, figures out crank position and fires the ignition. The problem with Holley is their return policy. You have to convince tech support that the problem is with their product not your installation. They first told me my truck was not adequately grounded. Then they said the starter was not turning the engine above 100 rpm and the system would not sync until it spun above 100.

What that meant is I was on my own. It took three weeks with a logic probe and multimeter to ring out every wire in that harness and I had to do that with only the diagram they supplied. When I found trhe intermittent on the Distributor crank trigger output that was the AHA moment! Now I could prove that it was a Holley problem but their answer was we won't give you a return authorization unless you fax in a copy of the original purchase receipt. They do not give you a receipt on web sales.

This system could be very good. It gives greater flexibility than the LS series systems I am familiar with BUT unless you are an engineer who really understands engines and software this is not a system you should try. Some of the equipment (like the hall-effect dual sync distributor) is new first quarter this year. The techs are not familiar with it and, clearly, they aren't well versed in the software either. There are huge advantages to a system that uses hall-effect sensors over magnetic ones. Such as the complete lack of high frequency electro-magnetic interference from a magnetic crank sensor that wreaks havoc with a Capacitive Discharge ignition like I use (MSD).

While I was able, with some help from a denizen from another forum, to debug this thing, that task is likely beyond the capabilities of most people. You end up stuck with what you can get from their tech support and it appears that Holley's tech support works under the paradigm that they must protect Holley from any cost liability first and help the customer dead last. Too bad, because I have never run anything but a Holley carb on a conventional engine and have only had the re-jetting issue that caused me to go this way in the first place.

Given all that experience if I did this again I would use either an Edelbrock or FAST multi-port injection system and avoid this product because of the abysmal support they give.

vCash
    Did you buy direct from Holley or a 3rd party? I'm very surprised you don't have a receipt or any documentation that you purchased the product.

Sucks their customer service isn't like Amazon's, sorry to hear.

vCash
    Did you buy direct from Holley or a 3rd party? I'm very surprised you don't have a receipt or any documentation that you purchased the product.

Sucks their customer service isn't like Amazon's, sorry to hear.
    Purchase was direct from Holley in Bowling Green on their website. They give you and "Order Confirmation" which is insufficient and in the box they ship to you you get a "bill of Lading" with no price. Neither one is acceptable to prove original ownership for an RGA as part numbers are not shown on either one. Buyer beware!

vCash
    Wow that's just wrong. I'd be pissed.

vCash
    Wow that's just wrong. I'd be pissed.
    Getting pissed doesn't help. The only thing that makes it better is working out what is wrong, fixing it then telling them to kiss your rosy red AXX!

vCash
    Update?

vCash
    Update?
    Worked through November trying to get spark, no joy. Purchased a laser Tachometer in December after talking to Tom Nelson, found that the Holley Dual Sync Distributor was dropping 7 out of every 8 crank pulses. Three months of send it in, get it back, send it in again and I shit canned it and bought a FAST dual sync. It arrived Monday went in Wednesday and today I started the beast and began tuning this morning! Still a long way to go but here's a prelim:

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	27155

In case you haven't guessed, I am not high on Holley right now BUT, that engine sure sounds different! When I get back from Ely at the end of may the truck goes to Chuck's in Phoenix to be tuned on his chassis dyno. At the moment, I need to get a stable idle; which it does not have.
    Last edited by fitz; 04-22-2017 at 01:20 AM.

vCash
    Nice! Hope it makes good numbers and runs well.

vCash
    Nice! Hope it makes good numbers and runs well.
    Thanks! I'll find out what I get at the end of May.

vCash
    This Bitch is Back! 8 months and 4 grand out of pocket and it has made this thing is an absolute BEAST! Time and money well spent, but Holley EFI can still just kiss my ass. Throttle response is crisp and clean. Now I finish plumbing the inlet and put the filter on before final tune.

Last edited by fitz; 04-26-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Freddy's spicy fry sauce > *.* GldRush98's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Wow, hell of a job
    I bet you can't wait to get it tuned now

vCash
    Have you ever seen a hyperactive five year old on Christmas Eve? I can not wait to get this tune done, put it on a dyno and let an expert have a crack at making it better.

Last edited by fitz; 04-27-2017 at 06:53 AM.