Thread: Guidance appreciated on converting a carbureted ls2 to EFI

Registered Newbie

vCash

Question Guidance appreciated on converting a carbureted ls2 to EFI

Hi guys. I'd really appreciate some general guidance and Direction on where to go...I have had some success with the speed demon carb and Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold on my stock ls2,('64 Resto-Mod Vette) but as I live in the UK and fuel is horrendously expensive, I'd really like to get the best mpg out of it.
    Not only that, id like to improve driveability, as I am experiencing some flat spots and stumbling with the carb, despite following Demons printed, and various online ,advice.
    I do have the original ls2 plastic intake manifold but it is missing the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors.

I know I would have to upgrade the fuel lines and pump...
    I have seen loads of aftermarket self tuning EFI systems such as FAST or Holley systems. my buddy who lives in the 'States says I could quite easily run it on a 2002 Camaro ECU,
    The problem is you don't exactly find many of those in scrap yards in the UK, so as far as I can see,there would be littke benefit in me selecting that ECU.
    What would be the best cost-effective route for me in your opinion?
    do I try to source a stock C5 Corvette throttle body and use the Gm ECU and buy a stock fuel rail? or do I buy an aftermarket EFI system, which self tunes?( I'm thinking here that as there are not that many tuning companies experienced in the GM ECU I might be better off buying a self tuning system)
    Would I need a cable operated throttle body? I see there are loads available to purchase...
    Any help and guidance would be really appreciated!
    best regards Andy
    Last edited by Andy390; 05-08-2016 at 05:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy390 View Post
    Hi guys. I'd really appreciate some general guidance and Direction on where to go...I have had some success with the speed demon carb and Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold on my stock ls2,('64 Resto-Mod Vette) but as I live in the UK and fuel is horrendously expensive, I'd really like to get the best mpg out of it.
    Not only that, id like to improve driveability, as I am experiencing some flat spots and stumbling with the carb, despite following Demons printed, and various online ,advice.
    I do have the original ls2 plastic intake manifold but it is missing the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors.

I know I would have to upgrade the fuel lines and pump...
    I have seen loads of aftermarket self tuning EFI systems such as FAST or Holley systems. my buddy who lives in the 'States says I could quite easily run it on a 2002 Camaro ECU,
    The problem is you don't exactly find many of those in scrap yards in the UK, so as far as I can see,there would be littke benefit in me selecting that ECU.
    What would be the best cost-effective route for me in your opinion?
    do I try to source a stock C5 Corvette throttle body and use the Gm ECU and buy a stock fuel rail? or do I buy an aftermarket EFI system, which self tunes?( I'm thinking here that as there are not that many tuning companies experienced in the GM ECU I might be better off buying a self tuning system)
    Would I need a cable operated throttle body? I see there are loads available to purchase...
    Any help and guidance would be really appreciated!
    best regards Andy
    Andy:

You will need a wiring harness for that engine and the fuel regulator as well as a pump. With the scarcity of parts in the U.K. I would find a recycler in the U.S. like LKQ Online and purchase all but injectors and throttle body from them. The FAST and Holley systems do not use the variable ignition timing features built into the LS2.