Thread: Gear puller for t-56 rebuild

Gear puller for t-56 rebuild

Hey so I am following this guide:

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...uild-with-pics!

And the author mentions that he made a gear puller to get the 5-6 gear out of the transmission.

Is there anywhere I could buy this pre-made? Or borrow one or something? I tried to make one myself but it didn't end well, The puller I tried to modify is too small to start with. I might try buying a bigger puller but I'd rather just buy one that I know 100% will work for what I am trying to do. Can anybody point in in the right direction?

Cheers

Bump

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:16581731
    I use that same post when I did mine many years ago. I got the puller he pictured and used the flat metal strips with holes in the to extend the arm length to get the 5-6 gear. Worked out pretty good for me as I got it to work on my first try. The metal strips were a bit thin and it was sketchy for a bit but it did work.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:16581731

Registered Newbie

vCash
    I just made one last week following that same thread and also using some scrap metal to make longer arms for puller. Worked fine although I was skeptical it would be sturdy enough.

My 5th and 6th gears just suddenly stopped working with an easy shift out on the freeway a couple years ago. After a lot of reading I concluded that it must be 5-6 shift fork or 5-6 shift mechanism since all other gears worked including reverse. Have it all torn down now and I was wrong... The 5-6 gear that you need the long pulled arms for had spun on the main shaft taking out splines on main shaft and on inside of 5-6 one piece gear. Everything else in it looks great. Moral of the story is if your 5-6 gear is not tight on the main shaft splines, it will probably do the same thing mine did before long. Mine was mostly just used in 130 mile a day commute, so it was not beat on either. At least not I gears 5 or 6..