Thread: Help Gen III motor into a gen IV vehical my daily is down.

Registered Newbie

vCash

Help Gen III motor into a gen IV vehical my daily is down.

I just joined this forum because of the helpful info that was provided while I was searching good old Google. It appears everyone is well educated and willing to share info.

What I am trying to do is put a Gen 3 2001 LQ4 into a 08 LH6 vehical.

I plan on using the intake up off of the LH6

The diffrences I know I will have to address

Knock sensors on the LH6 will have to be drilled and tapped into the LQ4 at the same or similar location as Lh6.

The 24X reluctor will have to be changed to a 58X reluctor, I have not found anyone localy yet to do it, but am thinikng our local patterson racing can do it.

Changing out the crank position sensor to the 58x style pickup or just use the LH6 one already on the harness

Change out the timing chain cover on the LQ4 to an 05-06 GTO cover to accept the front mounted cam 4x reluctor

purchase a 3 hole 4x reluctor, timing chain gears and chain also a black dampner.

Not sure if I need a cam with 3 hole or if the LQ4 already has it, I think I will need to buy a 3 hole cam. Please let me know on this one.

Use the cam pickup snesor off of the LH6 wirning harness

I realise I will have to program out the VVT and AFM out of the ecm with either HP or efi Live or a similar program.

Anything else I need to make it a smooth transition?

Thanks everyone in advane for all the help and the great forum.
    Last edited by Lotaimpalass; 12-03-2015 at 10:28 PM.

vCash
    1st) I think you'd be better off checking ls1tech.com. They can/have answered a lot of the questions you're having.

2nd) Most of the gear-heads left on this forum are in the Corner Garage: http://www.ls2.com/forums/forumdispl...rner-Garage?s=

3rd) I've done the opposite of what you're trying to do. I put a Gen IV (6.2L) into a Gen III car (02 Trans Am). As far as the reluctor wheel goes, Lingenfelter makes a converter box that tricks the computer into thinking it's a 24. http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C163 That's a far cheaper route than swapping out the correct crank and tearing down the engine. However, if you're already tearing down the engine that far, it may be worth it... but it still won't be cheap. I have the Lingenfelter converter and have had no issues w/ it thus far.... and it's been in the car for 20k miles / 3 years.

I also think you're going to need a different valley cover as one is made for VVT and one isn't, IIRC. I know when I did mine, I couldn't use the gen IV valley cover.

vCash
    Another change I had to make is the throttle body. A Gen III TB won't work on a Gen IV motor b/c of the intake/bolt holes. The Gen III TB has 3-bolt holes where the Gen IV has 4. If you have to get a different TB, I suggest going w/ a Nick Williams.

And if you don't have a Gen III intake, you may need to get one b/c they're different from a Gen IV. *

*This is not set in stone... this information hasn't been fresh on my mind in a few years, so I may be a little off on some of what I said... but I listed it so you'll make sure to do some research on those areas, just to make sure.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    I appreciate the Ls1tech and corner garage info. do you think I should post it on the corner garage section?

I don't bleive that the linginfelter converter will convert from a 24 crank to a 58 ecm, but am not sure. I thought it would go only 58x(gen 4) crank to a 24x ecm (Gen 3) tricking the ecm to think the motor only has a 24x which I would need the opisite.

If I was trying to use the Gen 4 motor and put it in a Gen 3 I would probably have to get rid of the VVT and AFM stuff right? but since the motor I am using doesn't have it because it is a "Gen3", I shouldn't have to remove it. right?

I plan on usiing the Drive By Wire that is on my Gen 4 intake that the ECM already recognizes on the LQ4 Gen3. Will the Gen4 intake not fit on the Gen 3 block and heads?

Thank you for replying to my post please let me know I appreciate all info.

Matt

vCash
    You make a strong point to all of my areas of concern.

Id make a thread in both the Corner Garage and on Ls1tech. I'd expect LS1tech will be the more helpful source though.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    So the intake will physicly fit right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotaimpalass View Post
    So the intake will physicly fit right?
    It's not interchangeable. Gen III intake has a cathedral port design whereas the Gen IV has a rectangular port.

http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ake-manifolds/

Registered Newbie

vCash
    Dang it. will the DBW fit on the Gen3 intake?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotaimpalass View Post
    Dang it. will the DBW fit on the Gen3 intake?
    I know some Gen III's were DBW, but I don't know if a Gen IV DBW would work on a Gen III.