Thread: Grenaded my LS1. what are differences in 5.3 VS LS1, where to buy shortblocks?

Registered Member STANG KILLA SS's Avatar

vCash

Red face Grenaded my LS1. what are differences in 5.3 VS LS1, where to buy shortblocks?

well my LME forged 347 shortblock went boom yesterday at the autocross. big hole in the side of the block on drivers rear side.

Car is a NA road race track car. iron block is completely out of the question. looking at the aluminum 5.3 and LS1 short blocks.

Ill be honest. im not a mechanic, nor that familiar with the LS engines etc. I typically pay professionals for anything more than just unbolt and replace parts etc.

Ive noticed most of the short blocks are alumimum 5.3. or you can upgrade to an LS1 block for an extra $300-600. im trying to figure out if I need that?

-what are the differences between the LS1 and alum 5.3?
    -I need the swap to be plug and play. no brackets, adapting or moding. ie a direct swap with ALL my current LS1 parts, wireing etc etc. no knowledge or "making work" needed
    -are the 5.3 still 5.7/347 when you buy the short blocks? like at TSP they list the 5.3 at 347 still no matter if you buy 5.3 or LS1 block? is this true?
    https://www.texas-speed.com/p-75-tsp...ort-block.aspx
    -will they both make the same HP with the same parts?
    -does either block have any advantages or disadvantages over the other?
    -im not really looking for more power than what I have now. current setup yields 405-430 to the ground and im happy with that. I am looking at the 383 also though. an LS1 347 and a 5.3 383 are nearly identical in price at TSP.
    -I also am looking to get back going as cheap as possible. I had plan to upgrade to a C5Z in 2 years so I don't want to keep dumping money in the SS.

also besides TSP, where else should I look for aluminum short blocks? looking to call 3-4 places tomorrow to get quotes as most places list a 2-4 week build time.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cory

Suffering ends when craving ends... Hyperion's Avatar

vCash
    Why not just buy a used LS1 or LS6 longblock? I know if my turbo 408 car ever needs a new motor I'm just going to buy a 5.3 out of a junkyard for a few hundred and boost it until it blows.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Suffering ends when craving ends... Hyperion's Avatar

vCash
    I meant shortblock as you already have all of the topend if it didn't mess up your heads.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gettin' screwed...

vCash
    I don't think you can get a new production ls1 or ls6 block anymore so all of the "ls1" variety engines you are looking at are probably aluminum 5.3 blocks bored out unless they are using a used block. A new Gen4 5.3AL should be a stronger block than an early LS1 and comparable to the later LS6.

If you are looking for an off the shelf engine to acquire quickly, you may check with Scoggin Dickey too.