Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: STANG KILLA SS goes racin

Registered Member STANG KILLA SS's Avatar

vCash

Exclamation STANG KILLA SS goes racin

After about a 10 year hiatus, I decided I wanted to go racing again(with corners this time around), and spent the winter getting the car back road worthy, and fixing a lot of issues. Had my first Autocross today

never been a fan of cone dodging, but for $20 bucks and 10 minutes from my house to Hoonigan around right in front of the cops it was worth it. Defiantly a good shake down.

I was really pleased with how the car did. Especially the front end. Braking and cornering were great. The back end not so much. Cornering was fine, but I just couldn't get any power down, with the power im putting out, the 4.10s, first gear, and a track that was a puddle of water that morning I just couldn't give any skinny pedal. Due to the venue they also has a "no breaking traction" rule that made it even tougher.

I felt like all my iRacing actually hurt me in turn-in and braking, I could have been way more aggressive there in real life, than iRacing allows. Old habits die hard.

For some reason the outside footage looks like slow mo. My dad rode with me and after watching from the outside he thought the same, going way faster inside the car, than it looks like watching.

took it easy the first run, then the last 3 starting trying to push more. ran 30.5, 30.4, and 30.7. The 1LE Camaros and SRT8s with there several event experience were running high 29s. the pros were running 27s in there Miatas and Sti's.

But I didn't hit any cones, the car survived, and I had a blast! Im hooked

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jayc2009
    Car sounded great looks like you had fun awesome, cool to see a F-body out there !!

vCash

One of my friends is a huge autoX nut. A couple others go out for fun.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I got to auto-x a Z06 a few years ago. 8t was a blast

vCash
    I've gone auto-x in my T/A a few times, some 10-years ago.... It's fun. Your car looks great, BTW. Well done.

vCash
    And:

Due to the venue they also has a "no breaking traction" rule that made it even tougher.

Registered Member speed_demon24's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: spddmn24
    Dat iracing tire model

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon24 View Post
    Dat iracing tire model
    amen! the new Version 6 is better. especially in lateral grip/powerslides/slipe angle. you can actually save slides now. but still cant take what a real tire/car could take.

vCash
    Well done!

vCash
    Koni Adjustables!

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: mogs01gt
    Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
    After about a 10 year hiatus, I decided I wanted to go racing again(with corners this time around), and spent the winter getting the car back road worthy, and fixing a lot of issues. Had my first Autocross today

never been a fan of cone dodging, but for $20 bucks and 10 minutes from my house to Hoonigan around right in front of the cops it was worth it. Defiantly a good shake down.

I was really pleased with how the car did. Especially the front end. Braking and cornering were great. The back end not so much. Cornering was fine, but I just couldn't get any power down, with the power im putting out, the 4.10s, first gear, and a track that was a puddle of water that morning I just couldn't give any skinny pedal. Due to the venue they also has a "no breaking traction" rule that made it even tougher.

I felt like all my iRacing actually hurt me in turn-in and braking, I could have been way more aggressive there in real life, than iRacing allows. Old habits die hard.

For some reason the outside footage looks like slow mo. My dad rode with me and after watching from the outside he thought the same, going way faster inside the car, than it looks like watching.

took it easy the first run, then the last 3 starting trying to push more. ran 30.5, 30.4, and 30.7. The 1LE Camaros and SRT8s with there several event experience were running high 29s. the pros were running 27s in there Miatas and Sti's.

But I didn't hit any cones, the car survived, and I had a blast! Im hooked

I've been autoX'ing for a while. That looked to have been a very open track! Try a few tracks designed for Porsche's! You'll get your shit pushed in!

vCash
    Koni Adjustables!
    I've got that same set on mine. Nice stuff.

vCash
    new springs are in!

BMR 550lb fronts and 160lb rears.

ironically it will actually raise my car, these are only a 1.25" drop and my current Eibach Sportlines are a 2" drop. but the added roll/pitch support/response will by far overcome the CG change. Eibach rates were 360lb/137lb

vCash
    well this weekend I had my first PDS at TWS. 2.9 mile road course. What a blast!
    First day went decent, car did pretty good. but the second day I kept boiling the brake fluid so I had to take it easy on entrys with only about 50% brakeing power available. pedal never would come back even after cooling. on the final set I lost the brakes completely. still a blast though. time to do work. cant wait until the next one!

getting light

vCash
    Gamer IDs

RK Sport air dam + brake ducts.

vCash
    been researching ducts last two days. I think Motul 600 fluid will make a big difference, but I want to make sure it never happens again. ill probly end up with ducts as well.
    my rotors and calipers were silver when I got there. after than day there were gold with blue tinges. and bubbled. definatly got quite hot.

before (actually rear cause I didn't snap a pic of front)

after

definatly a big change of color.

vCash
    Yikes

vCash
    Motul RBF 600 is awesome. Never an issue at Willow Springs or California Speedway in the summer months when temps are well over 100

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by runningmole View Post
    Motul RBF 600 is awesome. Never an issue at Willow Springs or California Speedway in the summer months when temps are well over 100
    Gotta flush it often though. The shit that came out on my car was horrible after a cpl years on the street.. Would spend the extra $$ on Castrol if I was to do it again.

vCash
    That works too. Local speed shpp always had the Motul, so that's what we went with. We used to do 2-3 HPDE a year & would flush before & after each event. Damn hobby gets $$$$ fast lol

You know? Oh no... Mr. SSinister's Avatar

vCash
    RK Sport air dam + brake ducts.
    are you referencing this one?
    http://www.rksport.com/product-p/rk-029.htm

I got some ducts from Pegasus Racing and ran them through the front lip spoiler. My dad made some sheet metal collars to be the adapters. I also bought some ATE type 200 DOT 4 brake fluid. Been doing well at Laguna Seca with it.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. SSinister View Post
    are you referencing this one?
    http://www.rksport.com/product-p/rk-029.htm

I got some ducts from Pegasus Racing and ran them through the front lip spoiler. My dad made some sheet metal collars to be the adapters. I also bought some ATE type 200 DOT 4 brake fluid. Been doing well at Laguna Seca with it.
    Yep. Didn't realize it went up so much in price. More cooling + more area to mount ducts. Occasionally skims track under hard braking with strano springs, but not bad at all. No pics but can sort of see it in this ridiculously shitty quality video. Decent shot at 1:08

vCash
    Nice. I could only fit 2 1/2" ducts because I went out to the edges where it wasn't directing flow to the radiator.

vCash
    Final Day. had already boiled brake fluid twice on earlier sessions. braking power and pedal were down to about 50%, so I just went easy on entries so I could still finish the day. Ignore the early lifting and blown apex's. 4th and final session of the day coming into #10 (1:40 in video) the pedal went all the way to the floor with zero braking. I turned in as hard as I could to try to keep on track and to try to get the rear to kick out to bleed off speed. droped the drivers rear off. still had zero brakes even after cooling.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Final Day. had already boiled brake fluid twice on earlier sessions. braking power and pedal were down to about 50%, so I just went easy on entries so I could still finish the day. Ignore the early lifting and blown apex's. 4th and final session of the day coming into #10 (1:40 in video) the pedal went all the way to the floor with zero braking. I turned in as hard as I could to try to keep on track and to try to get the rear to kick out to bleed off speed. droped the drivers rear off. still had zero brakes even after cooling.

What's the main reason why the fluid is boiling? Heavy car? Stock calipers? I've never done any time of track racing like that so I'd like to prevent it before it starts

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    What's the main reason why the fluid is boiling? Heavy car? Stock calipers? I've never done any time of track racing like that so I'd like to prevent it before it starts
    Heat boiled the brake fluid. That's before the era of cars coming with decently sized brakes.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Heat boiled the brake fluid. That's before the era of cars coming with decently sized brakes.
    I understand its coming from heat but is it simply because of the stock brakes?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    I understand its coming from heat but is it simply because of the stock brakes?
    Could probably get them to last with the right rotors/pads and some decent ducting. c5/6 upgrade is pretty cheap.

http://www.hotpart.com/1993-2002-f-b...sion-brackets/

vCash
    I bet Texas motor speedway is a way faster track thank Laguna Seca, but I was feeling the pedal give a little coming into some turns with DOT3 and Hawk HPS pads on Brembo slotted rotors. I added the ducts and DOT4 fluid and it's been really nice. Fastest I have gone was 115 through turn 1, which isn't really a turn but more of a slight left, then down into turn 2. most other turns were 80-90 mph.

vCash
    the #1 problem causeing the boiling was the age of the fluid. when its exposed to air (by simply opening cap) it abosorbs water from the atmosphere. my fluid was probly the original from 2000. its water % was probly so high its boiling point was lowered 200-300 degrees. its recommended to completely flush it every 6 months, and bleed before every event. water gets In the fluid that fast and often. that's why performance brake fluid is sold in such tiny bottles. just opening the cap of a gallon it would have too much water in it by the time you used it all (several applications)

vCash
    Gamer IDs

the #1 problem causeing the boiling was the age of the fluid. when its exposed to air (by simply opening cap) it abosorbs water from the atmosphere. my fluid was probly the original from 2000. its water % was probly so high its boiling point was lowered 200-300 degrees. its recommended to completely flush it every 6 months, and bleed before every event. water gets In the fluid that fast and often. that's why performance brake fluid is sold in such tiny bottles. just opening the cap of a gallon it would have too much water in it by the time you used it all (several applications)
    Good info! I need to drain mine then pronto!

vCash
    pulled an all nighter and got the suspension in. about 3 hours.

moved the C clip in the front that holds the lower spring cup to give an extra 1/4" drop

out back i pulled out the rubber spring isolator at the top and did the heater hose mod to get a extra 1/2" drop in the rear.

sits a little higher than my old springs still as i expected. front is livable but the rear is still a little higher than id like. may end up cutting 1/2 to 1 coil off the rears.

also did a full flush on the brake fluid using an air bleeder. fully flushed with cheap brake fluid first, then again with the Motul 600. the stock fluid was filthy, the cheap fluid was clear, and the Motul was amber, so it made it real easy to see when it was completely flushed at each corner. followed each corner with a couple manual pump bleeds to check for air.
    brakes feel good now. harder and higher than i ever remember the pedal.

got an alignment as well. i went with -1.0 camber (factory specs are +.4!) and 5.0 degrees of caster. had some toe out in it at first to make turn in more responsive, but ended up going back to 0 so i didnt have to worry about scrub or crack walking on the highway.
    pretty cool $60K alignment machine only used cameras. no electronics in the wheel attachment.

vCash

vCash
    Nice! The springs may settle a little. Give it a few days

vCash
    nice audio in the vid

car sounds healthy

vCash
    had my second PDS last weekend"thumbsup"
    good times

I don't know if im getting better, or everyone else got slower, but on 3 of my sessions I started 1 minute behind everyone and by the end of the session I had passed the entire field (about 12 cars id guess) I felt like I was actually pushing less as I was on $20 autozone pads.

lunch time got to drive up and check out the old skyboxes atop the bleachers. cool perspective from up there.

few clips I threw together trying to use GoPro Studio, not my best driving, just trying to get a hang of the program"thumbsup"
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aRDaMLXLP08?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vCash
    on my final session of the weekend, I actually got my blue group "solo" approval!"thumbsup"
    first time out on the track without an instructor. good way to end the weekend.
    unfortunately on my 3rd lap I blew it. came into 4 too hot and trailed the brakes waaay too long and spun at the top of the hill.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fkuHDvEL-vw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vCash
    Awesome

How many miles on the car? Have you changed all the bushings etc?

vCash
    What kind of top speeds were you seeing?

How is the old girl holding out with all of this "abuse?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Awesome

How many miles on the car? Have you changed all the bushings etc?
    120k. car sat for probly 5 years when I got into boats/wakeboarding.
    naa all original bushings. so far all the ones ive checked have been in good shape. including ball joints.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    What kind of top speeds were you seeing?

How is the old girl holding out with all of this "abuse?"
    im not much for speed. and with the giant cam its not easy on valve springs. so im shifting at 5000 and on the straight im only doing 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. that being said about 130mph is my fastest.
    unsure what my top speed would be if I shifted and redline and went WOT. I don't want to find out until I have brakes I trust. that's happening very soon
    I definatly don't trust reliability yet. but so far it hasn't really let me down.

vCash
    went back to local AutoX this last weekend and did alot better. "thumbsup"

GoPro vids of my timed runs
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DRPIeYxes44?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

run #3 (thanks Steve!)
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tNvrdxN4qCo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vCash
    Gamer IDs

They need to tighten up that track. Looks way too open.

vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Do y'all still have the orange bird too?

vCash
    yep. recently hit 200,000 miles!
    '02 SOM WS6

vCash
    well I think I finally reached the end of my braking ordeal.

14" 5th Gen Stoptech Cryogenic frozen rotors, with center bore machined out to 70.6mm for 4th gen hub
    Gen 1 CTS-V Brembo 4 Piston Calipers
    Hawk HP+ Pads
    Kore3 Stainless and coated lines

Huge difference over stock

well after fitting the brakes and after all my research the new brakes wouldn't clear my wheels. diameter had about .1" which I was fine with, but the fat lip and the +25 offset, the spokes wouldn't clear the new huge calipers. enough spacer to clear the calipers made the tires stick out 2".

So I had no choice but new wheels. cheapest wheels with the specs I needed were these Black Chrome C6 Spyder wheels. 18x9.5 +40 offset.

after getting the wheels in and test fitting them, I took them in to get my old tires transferred to these wheels. well they were so dry rotted the beads were just ripping as they tried to get them off the old wheels. (date stamp on tires was 2008) so I had no choice but to order tires. this "cheap" big brake upgrade was adding up now.

figured I may as well go with something sticky, but wanted to still keep street stock legal (200 min tread wear) so I went with the Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2 tires. 285/35/18 Lots of great track reviews especially for there price. there as wide as my old BFG 295s

finished up.

bedding in test drive showed a lot of promise. I think I may need harness's now...:twisted:

vCash
    Looks awesome.

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    Very

This stuff is more interesting to me than drag racing/straight line stuff now

vCash
    thanks!

amen. I did the whole drag thing when I was young too. it was fun then, and nice because it was close to me and cheap. but it just doesn't hold a candle to cornering. wish I could have gotten into it sooner. so much more skill required too. drag racing was just about buying horsepower parts, and any dummy with two legs and two feet could drive them. now the #1 thing that makes you go faster is the driver mod.

vCash
    out of curiosity, what is a ballpark cost on that brake setup?

vCash
    calipers ~350
    rotors ~130
    brake lines ~75

the "same" kit from brembo is 2970

This one's for you, Nell cuda6pak's Avatar

vCash
    Used?

vCash
    calipers ~350
    rotors ~130
    brake lines ~75

dafuq? That's it

Never Ends....

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC PaiN
    calipers ~350
    rotors ~130
    brake lines ~75

Seriously? That's a hell of deal if they perform.

vCash
    all brand new parts.
    there are tons of these calipers on ebay brand new in box. even loaded with pads and hardware/pin kit like I bought mine.
    I poped for cryo treated rotors, or the rotors would have been a hair cheaper.

2 bolts and a brake line is all it takes. no adapters, no moding, no BS. bolts right up. can go back to stock in an hour.

and so far performance is pretty unbelievable. it decelerates, like a turbo car accelerates. the larger and heavier mass of the rotor, has a secondary effect of cooling like a heat sink. so you gain unbelievable braking, but also braking that LASTS and doesn't fade. the bigger front power also helps with the fbodys terrible factory rear brake bias.
    Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 08-31-2015 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    no change on the rears?

vCash
    no not needed. the rears are too powerful as it is. most guys are going to smaller LT1 rear brakes, and cheap pads to try to reduce rear braking. again because of the fbodys terrible rear bias.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

I Still have that rk sport air dam and brake ducts that bolt to the spindles shitting around.

What are you feeling Lance? 40WT? CAMN SS's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: h0tm3nz
    Your power steering fluid isn't boiling over?that has been my biggest issue. I even have a revalved PSC pump.

Nice thread, I'll be sure to follow along and hopefully see you at an open track day!