Thread: L76 Wiring diagrams

Registered Newbie

vCash

L76 Wiring diagrams

Hi all.

I am looking at tackling an LS conversion and I am chasing wiring diagrams for an L76 engine and a 6L80E teans.
    Any pinouts or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.
    Donor car is a 2010 Holden VE SS ute.

Cheers,

Mark

Registered Newbie

vCash

L76,6L,6L80 Conversion Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by barbermi View Post
    Hi all.

I am looking at tackling an LS conversion and I am chasing wiring diagrams for an L76 engine and a 6L80E teans.
    Any pinouts or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.
    Donor car is a 2010 Holden VE SS ute.

Cheers,

Mark
    I recently did a conversion of a L76 from a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (also made by Holden in Australia) into a 1965 Suburban. I rewired the engine to move the ECU from in front of the engine to behind the engine. I also removed some sensors (rear O2 sensor and VATS/PASS KEY security) and disabled the Displacement on Demand (DOD) (variable displacement) feature. Also the Torque Management system and more. Then had Speartech reprogram the engine ECU and the TCU located in the 6L80 transmission. Here is a picture of the "breadboard" engine controls and wiring ready to fire the engine. Waiting on a fuel tank in order to get the 60 psi fuel required. I have all drawings I made as well as all pin-outs that I will share. When you get your engine be sure to also get the ECU, throttle pedal and Mass Air Flow sensor.
    Regards, Richard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

vCash
    That sounds like a cool set up. I've been eyeing the same engine trans combo for a Jeep J20 I have. Why did you disable the DOD and torque management? Too much of a hassle to get it functioning? What kind of mileage are you getting with the DOD disabled? Did you have any problems adapting the 6L80 to your transfer case, or did you use another trans?

I'd love to see more info on your build if you have any, pictures as well. Like Barbemi asked, pinouts for the L76 and 6L80 would be great if you have them.

Thanks,
    Ric

Registered Newbie

vCash

2009, G8 GT, 6.0L, L76, E38 ECM Pinouts

Quote Originally Posted by 72VenturaLS2 View Post
    That sounds like a cool set up. I've been eyeing the same engine trans combo for a Jeep J20 I have. Why did you disable the DOD and torque management? Too much of a hassle to get it functioning? What kind of mileage are you getting with the DOD disabled? Did you have any problems adapting the 6L80 to your transfer case, or did you use another trans?

I'd love to see more info on your build if you have any, pictures as well. Like Barbemi asked, pinouts for the L76 and 6L80 would be great if you have them.

Thanks,
    Ric
    Hey Ric,
    I will try to attach some files that I discovered about the two connectors on the E38 ECM that is used on this engine. Several months of work followed where I confirmed the pinouts and function of each wire. I then decided which wires to use and which ones to eliminate due to the fact that I wanted to reprogram the ECM (actually done by Speartech) to drop VATS/PASS Key security, second O2 sensors, DOD, torque Mngt., oil pan level & temperature and more. I do not like driving vehicles with DOD and Torque Mngt. and did not want this function therefore it is programmed out and wiring for the DOD disconnected. The engine is now in the chassis and ready to measure for drive shaft. We plan to fire the engine soon and prove my wiring changes and ECM program.

I got the engine and 6L80 from the donor car as a matched unit.

I plan to use stock G8 GT throttle pedal and MAF sensor. Will use all stock sensors on the engine, such as engine water temp, knock sensors, gray crankshaft sensor (58X), MAP sensor, oil pressure, front O2 sensors, etc. ECM, OBDII and SEL to be mounted under dash on/near driverís side.

I have, but not ready to publish, the wiring list I figured out for both multi-pin connectors on the ECM. As soon as I start the engine and proof all wiring I will be happy to share the wiring lists by email to interested folks. I hope to do this soon but as usual working for a living gets in the way of doing really fun stuff.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered Member

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiquescout View Post
    Hey Ric,
    I will try to attach some files that I discovered about the two connectors on the E38 ECM that is used on this engine. Several months of work followed where I confirmed the pinouts and function of each wire. I then decided which wires to use and which ones to eliminate due to the fact that I wanted to reprogram the ECM (actually done by Speartech) to drop VATS/PASS Key security, second O2 sensors, DOD, torque Mngt., oil pan level & temperature and more. I do not like driving vehicles with DOD and Torque Mngt. and did not want this function therefore it is programmed out and wiring for the DOD disconnected. The engine is now in the chassis and ready to measure for drive shaft. We plan to fire the engine soon and prove my wiring changes and ECM program.
    I got the engine and 6L80 from the donor car as a matched unit.

I plan to use stock G8 GT throttle pedal and MAF sensor. Will use all stock sensors on the engine, such as engine water temp, knock sensors, gray crankshaft sensor (58X), MAP sensor, oil pressure, front O2 sensors, etc. ECM, OBDII and SEL to be mounted under dash on/near driver’s side.

I have, but not ready to publish, the wiring list I figured out for both multi-pin connectors on the ECM. As soon as I start the engine and proof all wiring I will be happy to share the wiring lists by email to interested folks. I hope to do this soon but as usual working for a living gets in the way of doing really fun stuff.
    Sorry, I thought you were up and running already.

Thank you for the pinouts, hopefully they'll test out good.

When you do get it squared away I'd love to see a follow up, including non engine issues like transfer case and trans shifter used, if that's okay for this forum.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    Beautiful job on the wiring, Question is there a left side harness for the O2 sensor ? I see the one on the right .

Registered Newbie

vCash
    The O2 sensors are identified as Bank 1 = Right side, Bank 2 = Left side and Sensor 1 = Pre-Cat while Sensor 2 = Post-Cat. Therefore HO2S 11 is Right Bank front sensor (pre-cat). The X2 (black) connector has pins for Sensor 1 and X1 (gray) has pins for Sensor 2. From the connector the wires are routed to the right side sensors and left side sensors. I just left the wires and plugs for the HO2S 12 and HO2S 22 in the harness and programmed the post cat sensors out of the ECU.

The Engine Control Module (ECU), or some vehicles also have a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies a reference voltage circuit (two wires) and a battery voltage circuit (heater) to the O2 sensors.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    I mentioned earlier that I am putting the 2009 Pontiac G8GT, L76 engine and 6L80 auto transmission combo into a 1956 Chevy Suburban. Here are the pin outs/in for the 6L80.
    Attached Files Attached Files