Thread: Probably a dumb question...

Não há bela sem senão ErikaMarie's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PsYcheKaoS

Probably a dumb question...

On wiki, it says "General Motors has reintroduced the Chevrolet Camaro as a 2010 model, utilizing the Zeta chassis, with a VIN code of "F". According to GM, and contrary to rumors of a Firebird companion, no accompanying Pontiac model was planned before the discontinuation of the Pontiac brand in 2009.[1]"

The F was put there initially to stand for F Body. So, even though the new Camaros use the zeta chassis, are they still considered F bodies? I would have thought not but the inclusion of the F in the VIN has me thinking it's sort of grandfathered in.

PS this is just for my general curiosity. My Trans Am was stolen by a junkie last spring & sold for scrap in Harpers Ferry. Also stole by Durango & my Grand Am, all while I was away. It hurts, but I now drive a Sonata until I graduate in December & then it's Silverado time.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Raptr ID: 123456
    Uhh

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!! Borla's Avatar

vCash
    Technically no.

Good to see you.

Não há bela sem senão ErikaMarie's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PsYcheKaoS
    I get that "technically" they're not, since it's a zeta chassis... Just wondering if they still kept the name since they're still including the F in the VIN... If that makes sense.

& likewise.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!! Borla's Avatar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikaMarie View Post
    I get that "technically" they're not, since it's a zeta chassis... Just wondering if they still kept the name since they're still including the F in the VIN... If that makes sense.

& likewise.
    I've not heard them referred to that way. Fifth Gen Camaro, yes. Fifth Gen F-body no.

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    GM used to have shared platforms, the G-body, (Regal, Monte Carlo, LeMans, Cutlass) or the B-body, Impala, Roadmaster, Parisienne, Olds 98- the F-body was just used for Chevy and Pontiac, never used by Buick or Olds. There may well be an internal designation for the Zeta chassis, "Z-body?" but I have never seen it referred to as such.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
    GM used to have shared platforms, the G-body, (Regal, Monte Carlo, LeMans, Cutlass) or the B-body, Impala, Roadmaster, Parisienne, Olds 98- the F-body was just used for Chevy and Pontiac, never used by Buick or Olds. There may well be an internal designation for the Zeta chassis, "Z-body?" but I have never seen it referred to as such.
    +1 on this.