Thread: My thoughts on March 16, 2009

The F-Body Guy

vCash

My thoughts on March 16, 2009

Detroit, Michigan – Monday, March 16, 2009

“And so it is done”

…..those were the words that our Friend, Art Spong, said to me on August 27, 2002.
    I tried to remain calm as I heard those words via my cell-phone – but I must admit (and the ‘y’ chromosome in me is ashamed) that my eyes began to “leak.”

You see—Art was the Brand Quality Manager for Camaro/Firebird – and he was at Ste. Therese Assembly to witness the last Camaros and Firebirds coming off the line at just after 9am Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

Me?

I was in the parking lot of McDonald Funeral Home in Avalon, Pennsylvania – as we were ready to set off for the Cemetery to bury a favorite Uncle. “Uncle Tic” was a mentor to me in so many ways – and I still desperately miss him……………

The phone rang – it was Art – and he said “………and so it is done…….. it’s over – the last one just came off the line……..”

As we go thru life, there are “Guideposts” if you will.

Your Graduation.

Your first Communion

Your first kiss

Your Wedding.

The Birth of your Children.

I’ve never had Children (at least to my knowledge!) – ( but there was a wonderful child named Victor who came to me at 18 months old and showed to me what a miracle a child can be……)

– and I guess that the Enthusiast community convinced me years ago that “Camaros” are my children.

………..and how proud I am of them!

……………and yes, I know some people find that strange or disturbing – and if they do, fine – the heck with them!

Anyway – once again, I digress!

“And so it is done”………..

Today, VIN number 100001 ‘roared’ to life at Oshawa, Ontario.

That “roar” was heard worldwide as enthusiasts everywhere awaited the return of an Icon….our beloved Camaro.
    Rick Hendrick was on-hand to drive his new Camaro (VIN A9100001) off the line – an SS/RS…..

Now is a great time for celebration.

As you celebrate – perhaps it’s appropriate to reflect on the memories you have of Camaro….and to understand WHY it means so much to so many…………so put those ‘guideposts’ right here on this thread….so that we can all share…….

Some memories of mine:

September of 1966—a Bolero Red RS convertible being delivered to our dealership – and immediately whisked away to my Grandparent’s garage – so that no one would see it before announcement day.

Late January, 1970 – walking into the shop of the dealership and discovering a 1970 Camaro RS in Shadow Gray – OMG – could it be BETTER looking than the first Camaro I ever saw??? Yup!!

February 26th, 1970 – the “announcement day” for the 1970 ½ Camaro (and Corvette)

Easter, 1973—when I took delivery of the first Camaro I could actually call MY OWN! It was a Chamois Type LT with a neutral woven vinyl interior…………how proud I was to drive it. (Dad didn’t trust me with a Z28!)

November 1973 – when I took delivery of my 1974 Camaro Type LT – Red with a white vinyl top. (how 1970s!)

October 1977 – when I got my first “GM Company Car Camaro” – a bright yellow Z28!

……………1981—driving a 1982 Z28 in cammo. On the Atlantic City Expressway…….I pulled into a Service Plaza and had people surround the car trying to figure out what it was!

May, 1985—my first IROC! Sex on wheels! Who knew the name IROC would become synomymous with the name Camaro?

June of 1992 – on vacation with a 1992 25th Anniversary Z28 Convertible – white with Red Stripes…..oh how I wish I’d bought it and put it away……….

……….1993—my first 4th Gen Camaro – wow – what a ‘space ship!” (and OMG – is there anything that sounds better than this LT1 engine??)

1996—my move to Detroit as “Assistant Brand Manager- Camaro/Corvette – and meeting Ed and Dave Hamburger for the first time – to see the return of the Camaro SS……

1997 – the 30th Anniversary Camaro – is there anything more “Camaro” than white with Orange Stripes?

Summer of 1997 – and the first drive of an LS1 powered Camaro…….WOOHOOOOO!!!!

June of 2001 – and the unveil of the 2002 Camaro 35th Anniversary SS – the long fights to get the program approved – and then trying to keep it under wraps so that we could surprise our Enthusiasts at ‘Camaros at Carlisle’

…………….and then the awful day - -August 27th – 2002………..

“………and so it is done……….”

……….and then January 8th, 2006 – when we hosted over 250 Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts at the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan – to tell them that the next morning - -the 9th of January--we’d unveil a “Camaro Concept”

…..and then the 9th of January …………and watching with tears in my eyes as a Silver Camaro roared out onto the stage at Cobo Center in Detroit – and realizing that many others, too, had tears in their eyes……….

………….and then announcing in August of 2006 that, indeed, the Camaro WOULD be back…………

………..and then showing the “production camaro” at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in September of 2008………..

…………and taking delivery of my CTF Camaro SS/RS in January of 2009……………..

…………….and then I think of all of YOU – who have ‘kept the faith’ – even when it was very hard to do so……..

…………and the friendships that have been offered by you…………….

And so today, March 16, 2009 – is a day that I will never, in this lifetime,-- ever forget.

It’s been an amazing ride – but what else could you EXPECT from a Camaro?

It’s a time for celebration….

It’s a time for friendship….

And it’s a time for us to enjoy the fellowship of “Camarodom”!!

Thank you – so very, very, very much – for ‘keeping the faith’ –

My work is done.

“……and so it is done………..”

INTERNET RACING BOZO

vCash

Now, I just have to figure out how I'm going to buy one somehow keep my 02 WS6.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde!!!! Borla's Avatar

vCash

vCash
    I've always had faith, even when I heard it "was going away". I've called most of the users on LS2 idiots for even considering it wouldn't come back. I defended GM, it's new design, the time it has taken for it to be produced, etc. I've seen nearly nothing but GM and Camaro bashing on this site for nine years now. Now that everyone is starting to see them in person, like I did at Dallas Convention Center when the concept was shown to us, nearly everyone loves it and the skeptics have been silenced. I'm very happy to see the new Camaro on our roads beating Mustang and Challenger ass as it always has. this leaves only one thing to say.

I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!