Thread: GM in trouble. My fix = Die Camaro Die!

vCash

GM in trouble. My fix = Die Camaro Die!

The day after General Motors' stock price plummeted to levels not seen since the 1950s, the country's top automaker dismissed speculation that it was headed toward bankruptcy. How bad could it get? Analysts say that GM must quickly become a much smaller company, with fewer brands, fewer models, and reduced legacy costs. It's undeniable that getting to that point will require a drastically different course from the one GM management has laid out so far.

Iíve got a great idea of how GM can save a lot of cash.
    GM can start my killing the Camaro, and stop trying to live off memories of the past, by catering to boomers who have middle-age weight-gain and may have a mid-life crisis; and want to drag race a this nearly two-ton car.

This whole Camaro thing is a fiasco. First, the thing has gone on so long, by todayís standards it will be due for a refresh the year itís launched. Not to mention their efforts to generate hype are getting lamer and lamer. And it is going to be THIRD to market in the muscle car segment in an era of high gas prices and CAF… standards.

Yes I am a bit tired of hearing about the release of the Camaro, but I was tired from my first look at the concept car, which I thought was ugly. I never could understand the hype, love, and adoration surrounding this car. I do think they improved the appearance of the production vehicle versus the concept car, but it still isnít the eye candy that the last generation of Fbody was and the Mustang is.

Sure, itís bright and flashy -- with the atmosphere of a 1950s malt shop. It is not a real retro anything; but a retro mishmash of ill defined design. Like many of today cars, it has little to no imagination in body design, unlike the days of Fisher - who designed some real classics that stand the test of time.

That grill looks like someone traced the outline of a shovel for the design, and molded it to a giant clydesdale of a car instead of a ďPonyĒ car. See, GM forgot what the Camaro/Firebird was meant to be.

There's no legal definition for a Pony car, but we should be very clear on these points.
    In generally accepted terms it was smaller, though decidedly not a compact car. It was far lighter than sedans and it was comfortable for two people, but avoided the interior of the luxury sedans.

It hit the freedom note with the sporty casual look, but even more because it just was neither practical nor comfortable for riders in the back seat. So, dead weight was shed both by the use of lighter materials as well as nixing human baggage. In a nutshell, the Pony car allowed one to escape the gravity of family and unwanted passengers. That was and is the essence of freedom .

GM should save itself an expensive blunder it can ill afford.
    They need to pull the plug on the Camaro production, get their house in order, and then introduce a real competitor to the Mustang and Challenger with aerodynamic, 21 century styling.
    Last edited by fnbrowning; 10-13-2008 at 01:53 AM.

Space and Time

vCash

vCash
    They could rebadge the Challenger as the Camaro when GM merges with Chrysler.

Originally posted by Rick
    They could rebadge the Challenger as the Camaro when GM merges with Chrysler.

vCash
    dumb thread....nixing a single car wont save GM, and your itchy ass hate for the car in particular basically threw up all over your post....GM needs to drop GMC... say fuckoff to the unions, and have some serious Management fixes implemented.

vCash
    Originally posted by Inda8z99TA
    GM needs to drop GMC... say fuckoff to the unions, and have some serious Management fixes implemented.

Sure seems like a good start.

Realtor at RE/MAX Welcome Home mrgto's Avatar

vCash
    Capital Expense has already been paid out to produce Camaro...killing it would only be biting your nose to spite your face. Not much though was put into making this thread.

GM's biggest failure was not to kill off the UAW years ago or transfer the costs (legacy) to them. We'll see how long they last when they have to control those costs.

vCash
    Nothing to see here. Move on. Just a basic imbecile talking smack

Registered Member

vCash
    they need to have a successful business model..and that means innovation..cars haven't really come that far in such a long period of time..they got cars running on air, water, and electricity and we wonder why these old fashioned gas guzzlers aren't selling like hotcakes when the economy is in the shitter.