Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where we are at on the PatriotDream.org Camaro project

Build us an 09 Trans Am! 4birdman's Avatar

vCash

Where we are at on the PatriotDream.org Camaro project

Hey guys, since so many of you have helped out, I want to keep you guys updated.

The Gen III 5.3L engine should be here soon, National Parts Depot was kind enough to offer a spot on one of their trucks for our engine to get it to NC from Cali. I need a lot of parts for it still, like the accessory brackets, throttle body, coils, etc. Basically right now it is a shortblock, heads are in my garage, and an intake donated by a guy in Carolina F-body Club. My friend Joel at HRT is doing the work on it, but I need the parts to put it together. Painless has also donated the wiring, cam, and engine management system. Mike at Sulski Performance has graciously donated the tuning. 8)

We've also found the car, but we're about $700 short. I'm trying to work a deal with the guy to hold it for me, though. He came off the price about $1300 to get it close to what we had so far, so I'd really like to grab this one. It is a 68 that has a solid body, but needs some rust repair on the rear quarters and some other small spots. It is a project car, but with the way people are coming together for this project it'll be an amazing car when we're done! I'm hoping to have someone go look at it soon so we can have it shipped from Il back to it's new home in NC.

I'm working on securing the brakes now (LS1 brakes all around) with some donated rotors from RotorsOnline.com and some calipers that my friend Russ gave me (after I rebuild those 200k monsters!) and hopefully a 4th gen booster and master cylinder and all.

So that's where we're at right now, it is coming together nicely, just need a few more bucks to secure the car. I'm gonna have a meeting with my family this weekend and see if we can come up with the other $700, I don't see that being a problem. 8)

vCash
    Just got the master, booster, and part. valve, so this car will have all LS1 brakes.

vCash
    Special thanks to Twist Machine! They donated a set of their core support bars and one of their cowl induction billet trim plates. These things are amazing, top notch quality and they look great! As a mechanical designer by profession, I must say these are some fine looking pieces.

vCash
    those are some great looking pieces. going to be a damn fine car when it's finished

vCash
    5.3L heads that we had sitting on the shelf in the shop heading over tomorrow to HRT Performance to be reworked

Blog Entries
    vCash
    awesome!!

vCash
    Got the brake booster! Complete LS1 brake setup here we come.

We got a lead on the car, too! A guy has a 67 and he is building a 68 for his son who is a Marine in Iraq. We have talked about it and they want us to get the car, so we're working out all the details now.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Originally posted by 4birdman
    Got the brake booster! Complete LS1 brake setup here we come.

We got a lead on the car, too! A guy has a 67 and he is building a 68 for his son who is a Marine in Iraq. We have talked about it and they want us to get the car, so we're working out all the details now.

Sweet!!!!

vCash
    The engine will be at the machine shop in about two weeks or so, then the rebuild begins. Sold a bunch of Trans Am parts I had sitting on the shelf and bought some stuff for the engine. Got some sweet red anodized aluminum fuel rails with blue AN fittings and braided line.

Also got a set of stock valve covers that I'm going to smooth out and powdercoat wrinkle black, a set of LS1 injectors and clips, LS6 valve springs, and an LS1 Throttle body that I'm going to P&P.

So here's the engine combo that I'm going to go with.

Gen III 5.3L out of a 2005 truck with block painted black, donated by Strictly Performance (shipping by National Parts Depot)
    LS1 intake smoothed and powdercoated bare aluminum color
    Red anodized fuel rail, LS1 injectors, blue AN fittings, and braided line
    Wrinkle black valve covers
    LS1 TB powdercoated Super Chrome
    Cam included in HI-RPM kit
    HI-RPM kit donated by Painless Performance
    5.3L heads, 3-angled and milled, LS6 springs, left bare aluminum
    LS4 oil pump
    Engine and heads will be built and assembled thanks to a donation by HRT Performance.

Can't wait to see this thing built, it's gonna look sexy.

vCash
    Lightning Auto Customs has donated a shift boot for a T56 in a 67 Camaro, along with the plans for the bezel, which I am going to draw up in SolidWorks and have made up. This thing is NICE! They also hooked us up with some vinyl decals.

Our engine will also be at the terminal next Wednesday, so then the fun begins with that! Big thanks to National Parts Depot for the free ride for our engine on one of their trucks cross-country!

vCash
    SPEC Stage 2 clutch and Billet steel flywheel graciously donated by SPEC Clutch!

It is down to the wire here guys and there is still no car. Something always seems to happen when we find a car, and it is getting down to the wire. PLEASE keep your eye out for a 67 or 68 for $2500 or less. The last one a guy I know bought the car out from under me, knowing what I needed the car for.

vCash
    Scored a car today!

Got it off of the Pro-Touring.com board. This guy has replaced like half the body with Goodmark sheetmetal and has done an amazing job with it. He's throwing in all kinds of parts and things, and the car was a complete car so I've got everything for it! And a clear VA title!

He's installed brand new rear quarters, tail panel, inner and outer rockers, cowl patches, floor pans, etc.

He's also giving me a brand new 4-link setup, drop spindles with rotors (gonna sell the rotors, we're going with LS1 brakes and having Ed work over the spindles), custom widened rear wheels that he spent $1k on, Muncie 4-spd with brand new Centerforce clutch and flywheel(also gonna sell), and a ton of other parts.

And here's the killer part, he's hooking me up with it for $2700. 8)

He's done more work since these pictures, but at least it gives you an idea!

And the before shot:

vCash
    That car was a helluva deal.

vCash
    AWESOME deal. good luck with the rest!

vCash
    We also got our engine in today. Strictly Performance donated the engine and NPD had it delivered to us on one of their trucks. Heading to HRT Performance this week to start the rebuild.

vCash
    And here is what the finished product will look like! Thanks to Hermance Design for the donated rendering!

vCash
    Custom show plate and cowl hood panel donated by Undercover Innovations. These things are NICE! They're gonna look great on the car. Pardon the terrible pictures, I am in the process of reorganizing and laying new floor down in the shop for the arrival of the Camaro and it is a mess in there!

and some LS6 springs and LS1 injectors I purchased off of LS1tech.com

vCash
    Outer wheelhouses donated by Lutty's Chevys!

vCash
    Carbon fiber header gaskets and LED taillights donated by MuscleRodz!

Automotive rotisserie donated by AutoTwirler! (going to assemble tomorrow, this is just off the truck!)

vCash
    keep the updates coming, love the progress thus far.

vCash
    Drilled and slotted LS1 rotors donated by RotorsOnline.com!

vCash
    Very cool man! Can't wait to see the finished product.

vCash
    Just got back from the TA Nationals, so I haven't had a chance to get the 2" cowl hood that Firewheel Classics donated home yet, it's in my office at work.

But I did get a LS1 master cylinder from a good friend of mine.

vCash
    Got some new goodies today!

Steel 2" cowl hood donated by Firewheel Classics. This thing is SWEET and is gonna look killer on the car!

Also got a new gas tank and RS grille donated by Eckler's Camaro. These are gonna look sweet as well!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Wow.

Awesome.

Registered Member

vCash
    So what's the deal with this? You going to donate it or raffle it off?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BlueCrossGun PSN ID: BluCrossGun
    for his brother or brother in law.

vCash
    Got a new black carpet set in today donated by Rick's First Gen!

Sept 29th is the day we're grabbing the car. The truck is reserved and the trailer borrowed, the build officially begins on Sept. 30th!

vCash
    Got some new parts in! Thanks to WS6 on the pro-touring board for donating this LS1 valley pan!

And thanks to Gail Day Automotive Memorabilia for donating this T56 6-spd shift ball!

And we also recieved this blue LED Raptor shift light donated by R&D Speed!

I also just got back from AutoFair yesterday. I took a bunch of flyers and handed out about 50 to different vendors and told them what I was doing. Most of them seemed very interested, and all listened to me, so that was cool! I got the shift ball from a vendor, hopefully we get some more from it as everyone gets back home from the show!

vCash
    It is all set up to pick up the car on the 29th. The guy installed new front floorboards, a new door skin, a hood, and a new dash panel. Here are the pics he sent me so I know what I'm picking up on the 29th. 8)

vCash
    Wow, good luck, hopefully your project goes a little faster than mine.

The Battery King of South Georgia SIK02SS's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SIK02SS
    oh wow. that is awesome all the help and support you've gotten on this. that was project swiss cheese was it not?

good luck and keep us updated!!!

vCash
    Yep, it was project swiss cheese. I figured he'd replaced so much sheetmetal it would be a great starting point!

vCash
    thats awesome man

moats & toes

vCash
    I'm enjoying your thread due to keyword progress.

vCash
    Got some more goodies in today! Toyo tires has generously donated a set of Proxes 4 tires - 245/45ZR17 for the front and 275/45ZR17s for the back.

And my little boy can't wait to have his Uncle Shawn back home!

vCash
    And also dropped the 5.3L off at HRT Performance today for the rebuild! These guys know their stuff and are good guys to deal with. Helps that Joel is a good friend, but I'd take my work there anyway.

And check out those sexy powdercoated AMC valve covers on the bench. (yes, I do their powdercoating for them )

vCash
    OK, quick update here! I've been busy trying to sell off the extra parts to fund the AirRide setup for the car. AirRide is sponsoring us at a discounted price, so we want to jump all over it. Right now here are some photos of the car in the shop, along with the final rendering from Ben. Note the stripe on the cowl that he came up with and the Wheel Vintiques V40 wheels.

We also received a set of brand new black front and rear seat covers thanks to 78ta.com!

vCash
    damn

vCash
    Got the front subframe on the AutoTwirler rotisserie tonight. This thing is sweet! I was able to load the subframe and adjust it by myself, I love this tool. :thumbsup:

How many f-bodies can you pot in this picture?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

whered you get the rotisserie from?

vCash

vCash
    Did a little work on the taillights tonight. The bezels were in terrible shape and were rusted and pitted. The pictures make it look a lot better than is actually is, but it still came out pretty good. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my powdercoat, so I'm going to block same it to take out some of the small runs and bumps and lay a second coat on it to see if it will fill some of the pits. I'm going to go tomorrow to pick up some stainless hardware for the back of it, too. I changed the lenses from the stockers to a set of LEDs that MuscleRodz hooked me up with.

So it went from this:

To this:

Before and after:

vCash
    Gamer IDs

vCash
    Nice work, its coming along.

vCash
    We got some work done last night on the car. First is my beautiful wife and her paintjob on the rotisserie!

And then we move on to the car.

We took the rear spolier off and it looks like it was held on by two studs and a ton of silicon. One more thing to fix. The trunk lid looks very savable, though.

Also got the interior most of the way torn down. The wiring is trash and most everything needs to be replaced, but I want to give Shawn a new car, so I would be replacing all of that anyway.

And the rear axle that a friend gave me for the car. It is only a 8.2", but I'll freshen it up and it should do fine. I gotta use what I can if it isn't donated for this build, so 8.2" axle it is.

And then we tore down most of the front sheetmetal and all on the car. Gonna try and finish smoothing the firewall and getting it cleaned up soon.

PM me for BERMANS ADDRESS Hillbilly Deluxe's Avatar

vCash
    Okay, so when you're done with that, you wanna take my '68 Firebird and build it for me? I'll go overseas for 6mo. too if thats what is needed

vCash
    You'd have to marry into the family too, any my wife is fresh out of sisters.

vCash
    Today I received a carbon fiber header and cowl panel donated by Anvil Auto! These things are friggin sweet and I bet only weigh about a tenth of the weight of the factory ones!

American Auto Wire is also hooking us up with a new interior wiring harness for the car! All I could think about as I sat there holding the remnants of the car's harness in my hands was "I hope AAW is interested in helping out" and sure enough, they came through for us!

Blog Entries
    vCash
    awesome!

vCash
    Got some new parts! A friend of mine gave me an LS1 intake and coolant tubes for the engine. I also got in the Bullitt replica wheels that Custom Wheels Market gave me a discount on.

Haven't done much to the car since I just bought some new tools since I broke a few and some of mine just plain sucked. Gotta have the right tools to build a good car! The aftermarket frame is being lengthened for me by Staples Engineering, so once that is done I'll be able to get the back of the car back together.

vCash
    The guys over at RotorsOnline.com hooked us up with some Axxis brake pads for the LS1 brake conversion! These guys have been a huge part of making the LS1 brake setup come into place.

vCash
    Big day today! Got the tires mounted and mocked up on the car!

We also got a fuel pump in that was donated by Walbro!

vCash
    Well, it's going a little slow right now, but things are going on in the background! No photos worth posting though. The engine is being built, the trans is being rebuilt, and I still haven't gotten the frame back, but should have it back by the weekend.

The spindles are going out this week to be modified to fit the LS1 brake setup, and I have modified the firewall and brackets to fit the LS1 brake booster. Once it is done and cleaned up I will post photos.

So that's where I am at. Prothane just donated a total Motion Control package for the car, so I'll be finishing up the front subframe as soon as the POR-15 that was donated gets here.

So as you see, it is slow now, but will hit me like a sock full of pennies in a week or so!

vCash
    Comp Performance Group came through huge for us. They hooked us up with a Zex LSX wet nitrous kit and also have hooked Shawn up with discount pricing on any Comp Performance Group part for the rest of his life. They are also going to be putting out a press release about the project and said they'll get us in with a few magazines!

And my little man approves!

Also got the body completely stripped down and the junk subframe off the car. This weekend we'll be POR-15 painting the front subframe and I'll hopefully have the rear frame rails by then as well. I built a little body cart for the front out of some junk 2x4s that were in my way. Worked out pretty well since the back is on casters.

vCash

crippled with carpal tunnel Roush97's Avatar

vCash
    nice job so far.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BlueCrossGun PSN ID: BluCrossGun
    damn.. great job so far. that is one hell of a thing you are doing for shawn.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

nice!

vCash
    Prothane has sponsored the build and has hooked us up with a complete Total Motion Control kit. Now we've got all the bushings and mounts we need! We're picking the a-arms up from HRT tomorrow where they tanked and blasted our a-arms so we can powdercoat them. Should have the bushings installed in them next week!