Thread: Carbon fiber in short supply

Registered Member

vCash

Carbon fiber in short supply

Looks like it might take a few extra shifts of flipping burgers to save up for that carbon fiber hood you've had your eye on, bucko. USA Today is reporting that carbon fiber demand has gone way up recently, causing prices to quadruple in some cases. They blame the price surge on demand for new jetliners, like Boeing's 787 and its primary rival, the Airbus A350, which use significant amounts of CF, particularly for their wings. The cost of carbon fiber has jumped from $5 a pound just a few years ago, to a whopping $20 a pound today. We kind of figured it was sold by the yard rather than by the pound, but that's neither here nor there. To cope with the increased demand, carbon fiber manufacturers are adding production capacity, but that will take time. And in the meantime we'll have to keep paying more.

Full Story:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/07/r...-short-supply/

The Battery King of South Georgia SIK02SS's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SIK02SS
    CF has been in short supply since..i dunno...2001

VFN started making they're wait for parts longer in early 02, and stopped offering some CF stuff in 05

I wonder how/if this will effect the prices of BMWs that use the carbon fiber roof, and also the new ZO8 Vette which will use extensive amounts of CF. I know the C6ZO6 uses a bit too.

THE CHAMPIONSHIP WILL BE ALL OURS! 01zincguy's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zinc68
    Originally posted by SIK02SS
    CF has been in short supply since..i dunno...2001

VFN started making they're wait for parts longer in early 02, and stopped offering some CF stuff in 05

This is very old news.

vCash
    Originally posted by Ern

Nothing new there, and quite frankly it's overrated in the street car scene. Fiberglass is fine, cheap too.
    to the

Registered Member

vCash
    Another thing they fail to mention is that it's specific types of carbon fiber thats in short demand. Since I decided to go back to school and get a real degree I've taken a part time job at a triathlon shop that sell a fair amount of carbon fiber bikes time trial and road bikes. The carbon that our bikes are made of isn't even close to the carbon that one currently sees being used in the aerospace industry.
    Hey MTU 5.0,,,,,,,,,The Nuge is a pimp.

vCash
    Originally posted by AzSnake

Hey MTU 5.0,,,,,,,,,The Nuge is a pimp.
    He sure is. I had needed to change my avatar for a while and last week he was on our local rock station talking about immigration. I've always liked him and his politics and that inspired me to update my avatar.

Hmm.. time to buy stock in Carbon Fiber companies?