Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my new daily beater today!! (Edit: Train Horns FTW!!)

vCash
    think you'll have any engine / trans cooling issues with blocking that much airflow? Looks great though, can always have more light at nighttime

How much do you have $$ wise into all those new lights? Thought a couple 20" and a 55" LED lightbar would do the trick and look "slimmer", but thats easily $1K in lights alone

vCash
    also, you need to have field of view photos at nighttime with those lights on, thats the best way to show us how well they are, rather than just take pictures of bright lights on the bumper

Super Dee Duper Moderator

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridZ28 View Post
    think you'll have any engine / trans cooling issues with blocking that much airflow?
    Been driving with them for weeks now and haven't noticed a difference other than the nighttime turning into day

I just took it off last weekend to spray the mount with bedliner the same time I did the rack

Looks great though, can always have more light at nighttime

How much do you have $$ wise into all those new lights? Thought a couple 20" and a 55" LED lightbar would do the trick and look "slimmer", but thats easily $1K in lights alone
    The two floods on the bumper were $99 shipped (EBay), but the spots were a little harder to find and got them for $65 a piece shipped (Amazon)

Not a fan of the LED light bars mainly due to cost, but also because they don't really fit the look I'm going for with the rack

A few shots before the wiring starts

vCash
    great points sir

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    Yikes, you plan on Rally racing your Camaro?

Even though they're 9", they actually measure about ~10.5" and the housing for the HID controller makes the whole thing about the size of a 10 subwoofer, so you'd be cutting up the nose quite a bit if you want a flush fit

Got those on EBay as well, but they're getting hard to find

The ones with the red ring that say HID all around are no longer being made due to some legal reason

The two mounted on the front bumper are flood beams and I got them from this EBay seller (who just happened to change the listing to the newer/uglier style they currently sell)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261336785412

The ones on the rack are spot beams and I got them from Amazon, but the seller also switched his listing over to the newer/uglier style lights

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG1ZMY4/?tag=ihco-20
    The ones on the middle of your rack? They don't look any bigger then what's in my center nostrils from the pictures. Those things are huge then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FirehawkNS View Post
    The ones on the middle of your rack? They don't look any bigger then what's in my center nostrils from the pictures. Those things are huge then.

Yeah, you're not fittin this things up your nose lol

vCash
    Rack installed

vCash
    Kick ass job man!!

vCash
    Autobots, roll out.

vCash
    Threw together a little slideshow of the build

vCash
    OK, had a temporary loss of power for about 5 minutes while driving on the highway a couple days ago

A/C stopped blowing cold, which would happen if the engine temps went above 217*

Wasn't able to go above 50-55mph with my foot to the floor, but was able to get tot he next toll exit safely.

Once I slowed down, everything went back to normal again

All gauges looked fine and no MIL, so I connected my OBD2 Bluetooth connector and fired up DroidScan.

Engine temp was 217* and falling (she never goes above 203* even in desert heat) and all seemed to be working as normal

Stopped for gas, filled up, then went for a 20 minute drive to see if it would happen again, but everything was fine

I figured perhaps the T-stat got stuck (replaced 3 years ago), so I ordered up a new one and figured I might as well replace the water pump (original) and change the fluid in the fan clutch

While the parts were on order, I pulled the Y-pipe because one of the seals started leaking about a week ago.

Decided to pull the secondary cat to check the flow and this is what I found

It's an aftrmarket Bosal cat that I replaced 3 years ago (about 120k miles)

Didn't have another in stock, so I just gutted it...

Not only is she free flowing with a significant boost in power, but she has yet to throw a code

Still gunna install the cooling goodies anyways

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TransAmFTW
    dunkin donuts...yum

vCash
    I had that happen to a Lincoln I used to own. gutted the cat and it ran like a champ... until a few years later it started throwing a check engine code and wouldn't pass emissions, but I had bought my C5 and wasn't driving it anymore so I didn't care

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beatles View Post
    dunkin donuts...yum
    I hate dunkin donuts, give me Krispy Kreme any day. Specially when the hot sign is on.... OMG

vCash
    Dang that's crazy, hope that cures the problem! Btw, you should get an in-cabin view facing out of the windshield while driving night and going through the various options you have with the lights on/off. I wanna see how awesome it is with those HIDs are compared to the stock low beams, and with everything on too

vCash
    Yeah, the clogged cat was definitely the problem.

Put about 300 miles on her since the cleaning and she's running better than ever

Gunna throw a few GoPro's on her for the drive home tonight

vCash
    Added spoiler lights

vCash
    I can see you being reported as a possible U.F.O. sighting.

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    Can you turn all the lights on at once? Thats a lot of draw...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 70Chevelle View Post
    Can you turn all the lights on at once? Thats a lot of draw...

I have a separate switch for each side of the rack as well as the ones on the bumper.

I've had them all on for short periods, but I try not to use more than 2 banks at a time.

vCash
    OK, I finally had some time to myself last night, so I decided to attack the cooling system....

Yanked out the FC and started disassembling....

After removing the 8 screws, I was able to spin the two halves freely, but it was still a bit tough to separate.

Fearing I might damage the non-replaceable seal, I didn't really want to smack it with a BFH, so I took a couple of screws and threaded them in from the bottom, then tightened them slowly to force the two halves apart.

Once I had them split, I eyeballed the level of the fluid while sitting on a flat surface.

It was about level with the bottom of each fill hole...

Took note of the adjustment screw positions, but decided not to mess with them...

Stuck everything in an aluminum drain pan and heated it up to about 200* according to my temp gun...

Let it drain for a few hours, heating and letting it cool again about every 30 minutes or so...

In the meantime, I drained the coolant, pulled the water pump and T-Stat...

Both looked to be in good condition as expected, but the water pump did have a little squeak to it...

This is what came out of the FC

And this is what I put in...

It took both tubes of OEM 10k cst (18ml each) and that put it about the same level of what I started with right at the bottom of each fill hole...

I then topped it off with some OFNA 50k cst from my R/C truck pit box to the top of each fill hole, then smeared a little on surface..

I then heated it up to about 200* to help the fluid drain down into the cavities and managed to add just a few more squirts of the 50k fluid to level it off at the top of each fill hole....

Re-installed everything and only came up with a few leftover bolts and nuts

OK, now the results....

I put the front wheels back on and lowered my lift so that the front was higher to help burp the system with the radiator cap off...

Started it up and the FC roared to life with much more force than what was shown in the video I posted...

The auxiliary fan spun as if I had turned it on

It eventually tapered off, but it took about 45 seconds (usually takes 10-15 seconds)

I then set the hand throttle to 2200 RPM's with the A/C on and kept my eye on the DroidScan temps

With the clutch disengaged, the temps still climbed slower than usual and about 4 minutes in, the FC engaged at 183* (a little lower than I wanted)

It roared up and I could see the auxiliary fan spinning fast, so it was definitely moving some air.

Thing is, it stayed at 183* for about 10 minutes straight and there didn't seem to be much coolant flow cause the T-stat was still closed

Let it run for another 10 minutes and the highest it went was 187*, but I was still able to stick my finger in the radiator without getting burned

I then dropped her back down to idle for about 10 minutes and kept an eye on the temps...

Went up to 190* and stayed there and the radiator was finally showing some flow...

Moved the slider to full heat and let her run for another 10 minutes, but the coolant level only dropped slightly....

Capped her off and set the hand throttle again to 2200 RPM's and kept my eye on the temps....

Never got above 190* in the shop

Took her out for a spin to the gas station for a fill up, then romped on her hard for a good 15 minutes on the back roads and the highest she got was 192*

On the drive home, highway temps stayed at about ~186-187* and would stay around ~190-192* in slow traffic....

This morning before I started, I checked all the levels and my driveway for leaks and all was good

Started her up and she roared to life as usual, then tapered off about 30 seconds later...

The heat index is 99* today, but on the drive into work, she varied from 184-187* on the highway and hit a high of 197* in slow moving traffic, but best of all, the A/C seems to be blowing just as cool when stopped at a light as it does at speed (she usually needs either a little RPM's or wind flow to be super cool)

Going by the temps on DroidScan, it does seem like she's over cooling a bit, so I'm curious to see how that will effect MPG's

Ain't my first rodeo Wild Willy's Avatar

vCash
    Yeah, the clogged cat was definitely the problem.

Put about 300 miles on her since the cleaning and she's running better than ever

Gunna throw a few GoPro's on her for the drive home tonight
    Only cat I ever had plug was in a '79 or '80 Corolla- they had two, a little one right off the exhaust and a bigger one further down. It took me a couple weeks to figure out that it was the cat, fortunately I had a parts car- because I was just throwing parts at it. Felt like a fuel starvation issue, it would run out of power after 20 or 30 seconds of foot-to-the-floor driving- like trying to merge on an interstate. Changed the fuel filter, then the carb. I knew I had fuel pressure, finally started looking at the exhaust side.

On my Caprice, the honeycomb cat came apart, fragmented into tiny pieces that went out the exhaust. The cat hollowed itself out- it was a '95, OBDI, so no post cat sensors, the computer never knew.

vCash
    Well, I noticed the Y-Pipe gaskets started leaking again a few nights ago

I had installed new OEM seals and they seemed to fit fine even with the $h!tty flange fitment of the Bosal Y-Pipe, so I'm thinking perhaps the primary cat has started to go as well

Gunna yank it again today to see what's up, but in the event that it's starting to clog, I'll just gut it and hit up my local Radio Snack for parts to build an O2 sim

That being said, this mini cat sim looks interesting, but I don't think they make one for bolt on style Toyota O2 sensors

vCash
    Whats the FC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FirehawkNS View Post
    Whats the FC?

Fan clutch lol

I'm surprised you didn't ask about the BFH

vCash
    Fan clutch lol

I'm surprised you didn't ask about the BFH
    Ah shit, that's right. I was thinking earlier it was part of the fan but couldn't think what fc was. Brain fart.

If I remember correctly you used BFH in reference to a Big Fucking Hammer. Well used to that term. Lol

vCash
    Uh, "big freaking hammer" is a more P.C. term. Just told my boss this morning on a field job I am scheduled on that I was going to be JAFO- just another freaking observer- literally. I have a surveilance function code.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Willy View Post
    Uh, "big freaking hammer" is a more P.C. term. Just told my boss this morning on a field job I am scheduled on that I was going to be JAFO- just another freaking observer- literally. I have a surveilance function code.
    Fuck being PC.

vCash
    It's all fun and games until "Human Resources" gets ahold of it at work. Don't need any counseling memos or comments in my file. It takes real creativity to be offensive and P.C. at the same time.

vCash
    OK, a little update on relocating the OBA system....

Decided to go with a pair of bulkheads on the rear bumper....

The one on the left has a ball valve directly behind it and will be used to connect my air hose by threading on either a male or female fitting whenever the time comes.

I actually prefer using a male fitting and putting another female end on the hose because there's less chance of it getting all crudded up on the trail...

The one on the right is connected to a solenoid valve so I can drain the tank at the push of a button

I call it the cat blaster

Mounted the compressor and 3 gallon tank on the driver's side rail using nutserts for the compressor and welding in a set of mounting nuts for the tank.

It might look like it's hanging low in the photos, but it's all tucked above the bottom of the rail.

And apart from feeding the 3/8" drain hose and 1/2" OBA line to the bulkheads, there's also a 3/4" line feeding my Train Horns which I've split up with individual manifolds and stuffed them next to the rear winch

Still have to clean up a few items and ditch the zipties for some clamps, but it all seems to be working just fine

It's not as much air as I'm used to, but I have plans to weld up a few more small tanks that I can stuff along the rails

vCash
    Damn Y-Pipe seals started leaking again, so I picked up a new MagnaFlow Stainless unit to replace the old Bosal

Turns out the inner pipe flange on the Bosal had deteriorated and kept blowing out the seals

vCash
    what are the tension cables from the roof rack to the front bumper?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Moody View Post
    what are the tension cables from the roof rack to the front bumper?

Limb Risers

They sweep tree limbs over your windhshield

vCash
    fuck, I was gonna say that.... protection from trail debris

vCash
    Sooo, I'm thinking about getting one of these swing out awnings

vCash
    Boredom makes you do some silly things

Our local work contract for the city bus fleet ran short of supplies, so I've been slumming it at the shop these past few days

It's been really slow and after shooting off some potatoes with the spud gun to pass the time (always good fun), I decided to turn my OBA fitting into a weapon using some left over brass tubing and some Nerf darts I had laying around

Had some fun shooting at my workers sitting around doing nothing

Oh I think they like me Tunavelli's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Akunatun
    Boredom makes you do some silly things

Our local work contract for the city bus fleet ran short of supplies, so I've been slumming it at the shop these past few days

It's been really slow and after shooting off some potatoes with the spud gun to pass the time (always good fun), I decided to turn my OBA fitting into a weapon using some left over brass tubing and some Nerf darts I had laying around

Had some fun shooting at my workers sitting around doing nothing
    Those instant replays made me LOL

vCash
    Nice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McTuna View Post
    Those instant replays made me LOL
    Yeah, I gotta figure out a way to auto reload cause I've been using it quite a bit here in NY lol

vCash
    How many miles have you put on that beast since this thread was started?

vCash
    Started with 81,xxx

Currently has 382,xxx

Should actually be way more cause I've been driving with bigger meats uncorrected

IG: eightyfivesquared 70Chevelle's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ls1Chevelle
    4x,xxx miles a year

vCash
    Couple of random dudes eyeballing my fog lights didn't know I was sitting in my truck at the time lol

vCash
    Decided to replace the old brake hoses with extended OEM brake hoses from the Tundra

Even with 387,xxx miles, they came out easily

vCash
    Yet another hit and run caught on my Cruiser Cam

Some dude in an F150 rear ends a Volkswagen, then pulls into a gas station as if he was gunna exchange info, but then he bolts

V-Dub went after him, but I just got his plates and called it in

vCash
    So today I decided to swap out my old sub boxes for a dual 10 down fire enclosure

The old ones sounded great, but took up too much usable space, especially when I had to fold the seats down cause I risked poking out a sub when I threw junk back there

Been wanting to put a downfire enclosure in there for a while, but was too lazy to fire up the table saw and make one

So I started looking into pre-fabbed boxes and found that this one for a Honda Ridgeline fits perfectly

The volume is a little smaller than what my subs need (.65 vs .8), so I stuffed each chamber poly fil

Need to adjust the gains a bit since they suck up a little more power now, but so far it sounds pretty good

Now I can throw crap back there and not worry about wrecking my subs

vCash
    Added a pair of 16-LED reverse bulbs

vCash
    I have similar in my Tahoe- they are bright, and don't use much electricity- but, if you listen to radio much, the ones I have produce lots of radio hash. Quite noisy, but how much do you back up?

vCash
    Decided to ditch the old adjustable pintle mount hitch I had made and welded in a 2" receiver tube into the x-member

Much better clearance than the dealer installed hitch and now I'm able to mount a much needed bike rack

vCash
    These came in today

You guys will laugh your asses off when I'm done installing them

vCash
    Too ricey?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: muskyhunter77 PSN ID: muskyhunter77
    Too ricey?

Kind of ricey but I like it. And what is that symbol?

Oh yeah.... do you take 301 to bypass DC on your travels back and forth from NY to FL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGreenZ View Post

Oh yeah.... do you take 301 to bypass DC on your travels back and forth from NY to FL?
    The "Teq" symbol is actually "Toyota" written in Katakana and is what was used as their logo in Japan for many years

http://japantravelcafe.com/japanese-...-2-toyota-logo

As for the 301, I did once, but got caught up in a ton of traffic, so I just go through DC or use whatever route the GPS tells me to as it has traffic advisory

vCash
    Gamer IDs

The "Teq" symbol is actually "Toyota" written in Katakana and is what was used as their logo in Japan for many years

http://japantravelcafe.com/japanese-...-2-toyota-logo

As for the 301, I did once, but got caught up in a ton of traffic, so I just go through DC or use whatever route the GPS tells me to as it has traffic advisory
    Lol I see. I probably could have Googled that. It seems like a lot of people take 301 as a shortcut. I work right at the MD VA border on 301.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Raptr ID: na
    i wonder if those lights are even legal, they look cool though, you could project carpeting lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGreenZ View Post

One day I will see the cruiser on 95

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    One day I will see the cruiser on 95
    Lol yes I drive it every day I half expect to see him in Fredericksburg since it's the last stop for Cheap gas.....lol

vCash
    Hmm, eyeballin a set of bolt on portals

Uber pricey tho

vCash
    what do they do? lower gear ratios?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridZ28 View Post
    what do they do? lower gear ratios?
    Intradasting!!

http://www.killeraxles.com/bolt_on_portale_e.html