Thread: Why are land rover's so expensive?

Going to Atco? PM Me

vCash

Why are land rover's so expensive?

Checked out a friend's RR sport tonight and IMO it is NOT worth 70 thousand dollars.

Why are they so expensive?

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Athlete3000
    foreign luxury or so they say. They are just overpriced, uncomfortable pieces of shit.

vCash

cause they look pimp, and are traditionally high priced

Not worth the $$ IMO, but are to some, obviously

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Your buying a name. Thats about it.

vCash
    They are awesome offroad, nothing comes close in its class.

vCash
    Originally posted by Sturmovik
    They are awesome offroad, nothing comes close in its class.

And when was the last time a newer Land Rover was taken off-road in this country (not including publiciy demonstrations by the company)?

vCash
    Originally posted by Gary99Z
    And when was the last time a newer Land Rover was taken off-road in this country (not including publiciy demonstrations by the company)?
    April 18th, 1989

Mike Rowe for president Element's Avatar

vCash
    Originally posted by Gary99Z
    An AMG G-Wagen can outclass a Wrangler Rubicon quite easily on the trail, but that doesn't mean someone is actually going to play in the mud with it.

Having the ability engineered in != needing to use it.

I don't know quite how well a Range Rover works offroad, but I know a Land Rover Discovery is probably one of most competent off-road vehicles ever built.

As for whether it's worth the price, that's up to the person who buys it.

des·pi·ca·ble /diˈspikəbəl/ DAFFYDRUNK's Avatar

vCash
    Imagine dragging a bunch of tree branches across the paint job on a new $70k SUV. Ouch...
    Stay safe Poverty Ghost.
    Stay safe Poverty Banana.

Registered Newbie

vCash
    those suv's are freaking amazing

vCash
    when the hell did land rover become luxury SUV exactly,they started off as a jeep rip-off

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Athlete3000
    buddy is on his 4th, buys it just for status symbol, his 2nd one was a lemon, and all of his have lived in the service dept with crap going wrong. seats are uncomfortable, overpriced.

Drinks more than Ted Kennedy

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gettinthere6
    I sell them and I know they're overpriced.

vCash
    Originally posted by Element
    An AMG G-Wagen can outclass a Wrangler Rubicon quite easily on the trail, but

lol..

And exactly what advantage does the 5400lbs G-Wagen have over a Rubicon? I was just looking at the specs, and I see none other than horsepower.

I've had two Rubicons, and I live two blocks from the beach. I've never seen a large SUV that was worth a shit offroad, including my wife's Land Cruiser and a buddy's Land Rover Discovery that I've had to rescue on several occasions.

vCash
    Oh yeah.

Range Rovers are overpriced.

vCash
    the defender 90's are sweet

Shiz make you cray horny. Bird of Fire's Avatar

vCash
    Have you fucking seen the interior? Virgin goat testicle skin man. Worth every cent.

Oh and el-oh-el to the offroading bit. Sorry, the wheelbase, and weight just doesn't even come close to the far cheaper jeep. It's a luxury SUV that just so happens to have a transfer case. The jeep is an actual workhorse you buy for the intention of taking off road. Only time I would think that LR gets locked into 4-lo is on a gravel driveway.

Drinks more than Ted Kennedy

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gettinthere6
    Originally posted by ill deuce
    the defender 90's are sweet
    I've got a bad ass black one right now. It's a 97 with 84k and it's still $36,000. They hold thier value like no other.

vCash
    Range Rover Sport offroad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMM4d-6lro

vCash
    And I thought Hummer H2 propaganda videos were gay...

vCash
    Originally posted by Quadcammer
    those suv's are freaking amazing

Call it the masturbator.... Jack Parkman's Avatar

vCash
    Galandewagen (especially the G55) > *

vCash
    Originally posted by White LM7

cause they look pimp, and are traditionally high priced

Not worth the $$ IMO, but are to some, obviously
    Damn. That's a sexy bitch. But I don't think I could justify the price tag.

Mike Rowe for president Element's Avatar

vCash
    Originally posted by jking
    lol..

And exactly what advantage does the 5400lbs G-Wagen have over a Rubicon? I was just looking at the specs, and I see none other than horsepower.

I've had two Rubicons, and I live two blocks from the beach. I've never seen a large SUV that was worth a shit offroad, including my wife's Land Cruiser and a buddy's Land Rover Discovery that I've had to rescue on several occasions.
    3 locking diffs? Better clearance? Fourwheeler did a test with the Rubicon, and damn near ripped the front and rear bumpers off.

Expedition vehicles in Africa are either Land Rover Discoverys, or highly modified, extended wheelbase Wranglers.

vCash
    Originally posted by Element
    3 locking diffs? Better clearance? Fourwheeler did a test with the Rubicon, and damn near ripped the front and rear bumpers off.

Expedition vehicles in Africa are either Land Rover Discoverys, or highly modified, extended wheelbase Wranglers.

Oh ok...

Ground clearance- Rubicon 10.6", G-Wagen 8.3"

Traction- I'm not sure how or why a car would have 3 locking diffs, but a Rubicon comes stock with front and rear pneumatic lockers, which is the best system possible.

Weight- Rubicon- 4104 G- 5423

Approach angle- Rubicon- 44.6D G- 37D

Departure angle- Rubicon- 40.6D G- 32D

(So if 4-wheeler tore the bumpers off a Rubicon, the G-Wagen would have been wedged and stuck.)

Wheel base- Rubicon- 95.4" G- 112.00"

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/fe...ecs_price.html

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z7734/default.aspx

http://4xforum.co.za/vguide/g_class.html

vCash
    The shorter wheelbase and the 1300lbs less weight are the biggest advantage for the Jeep...

The Jeep also has far more aggressive tires, and a 4.0:1 transfer case that is nearly twice as steep as the G-Wagen's 2.16:1

As far as what is used in Africa... I would assume that comfort over long trails and storage space has to do with that decision.

If a G-Wagen can get you there, it's probably a lot more comfortable than the Jeep.

But obviously the Jeep is far more capable.
    Last edited by jking; 09-10-2006 at 02:57 AM.

When I was overseas in Aghanistan, all we ever used was Land Rovers. Over the water they are availiable as diesels, and while I don't know if the price over here is justified for what they will be used for, I can perfectly assure you that the Land Rovers are every bit as capable in rough and unimproved enviroments as possible and still hold up under pressure. While the MP's used the up-armored Humvees for patrols in Jabul, (rough, hot, uncomfortable and basically built to rattle your ass around in a steel death box) the Land Rovers were used by us for coordinating 18 wheeler movement in and out of the base. You name it, we went over it. Rocks, dirt, potcraters, not one once of paved surface. It would also idle endlessly for hours in over 110+ heat, and maintenance was next to none. The air filter element was absolutly caked in nasty ass Afghan dust, and the oil was black and gritty as fuck. One thigns for sure, If I was ever going to take a vehicle into a country where I knew that a survice station wouldn't be around and my life would ever depend on the ability for the vehicle to work and not break down, the Land Rover would be my first choice

Rise early. Work hard. STRIKE OIL!

vCash
    The shorter wheelbase and the 1300lbs less weight are the biggest advantage for the Jeep...

The Jeep also has far more aggressive tires, and a 4.0:1 transfer case that is nearly twice as steep as the G-Wagen's 2.16:1

As far as what is used in Africa... I would assume that comfort over long trails and storage space has to do with that decision.

If a G-Wagen can get you there, it's probably a lot more comfortable than the Jeep.

But obviously the Jeep is far more capable.
    LOL.

Real life off-road use isn't much like that trail driving bullshit most Americans discuss. Overland trips in real life, horrid conditions take more vehicle than just something that can fit between a couple close trees. IMHO.

Although I'm not advocating a G-wagon over a Landy Defender / LR3 or a Toyota LC.

Every LR I have seen has been in the shop more times than the owner can count and are over lemon cars...

But I've only known 4 people that have one...

vCash
    It is kind of weird... in daily use the damn things do break down a lot, but it's normally not major stuff. In hell conditions, they hold up wonderfully well.

vCash

Traction- I'm not sure how or why a car would have 3 locking diffs, but a Rubicon comes stock with front and rear pneumatic lockers, which is the best system possible.
    [/url]
    Rubicon lockers break easily, ive had it happen on the trail. They have an odd setup. ARB is a much better system.

Im sure the G-wagon diff lockers are much sturdier but havent seen them.

ROut of a rubicon rear diff:

Last edited by Jolly Dwarf; 09-10-2006 at 05:44 AM.

vCash
    Originally posted by CT Morgan
    LOL.

Real life off-road use isn't much like that trail driving bullshit most Americans discuss. Overland trips in real life, horrid conditions take more vehicle than just something that can fit between a couple close trees. IMHO.

Although I'm not advocating a G-wagon over a Landy Defender / LR3 or a Toyota LC.
    I'm talking sheer offroading capability. The ability to take obsticles such as sand, mud, rocks, ect...
    Last edited by jking; 09-10-2006 at 06:22 AM.

vCash
    Originally posted by Jolly Dwarf
    Rubicon lockers break easily, ive had it happen on the trail. They have an odd setup. ARB is a much better system.

Im sure the G-wagon diff lockers are much sturdier but havent seen them.

ROut of a rubicon rear diff:

As far as traction goes, is there any system more capable than a front and rear locker set up?

I read up and understand the G-Wagen now. It has a center diff like my wife's Land Cruiser. The G has a center lock as well as front and rear, hence the three locks.

vCash
    I'm not arguing that the big luxury SUV's like Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and G-Wagens are not capable for what they are.

I was just taking issue with the suggestion that the G-Wagen could easily handle a Rubicon in offroading ability.

From my experience the big SUV's can't get it done in the soft stuff. I see it all of the time.

vCash
    Originally posted by CT Morgan
    It is kind of weird... in daily use the damn things do break down a lot, but it's normally not major stuff. In hell conditions, they hold up wonderfully well.

In a lot of instances, there are military and commercial versions that differ from the plush, high priced examples you find at US dealerships.

I was reading about the military version of the G-Wagen, and it's very impressive.

I know that you can get a diesel Land Cruiser overseas...

vCash
    Actually in Africa, they either use Land Rovers, or Toyota Landcruisers.
    In Australia's outback, 90% of people use Landcruisers too. Only American stuff you might see is F250/350s around the mines, due to their passenger accomodation and carrying capacity.

vCash
    In a lot of instances, there are military and commercial versions that differ from the plush, high priced examples you find at US dealerships.

I was reading about the military version of the G-Wagen, and it's very impressive.

I know that you can get a diesel Land Cruiser overseas...
    And in a lot of instances it's not. Having in lived in Africa I have a little firsthand observation on this.

I've never seen a loaded Range Rover punished, but loaded LR3's (Discoveries) and loaded LC's... most definitely. Defender 90's and 110's aren't available "plush" of course.