Thread: radiator

vCash

radiator

how to replace a radiator in a 94 lt1 A4.

i have a crack up top, just under the filler neck. it just spits out water until it eventually over heats. which does take some time. it doesnt happen day to day. it take several days for it to get rid of enough water to over heat.

so basically im going to start lookin for a new radiator tomorrow morning. i need this replaced ASAP!! it IS a daily driver! lol

is my radiator 93-97 specific....or....is it 93-02? just wondering anything that i may want to know so that some local shops dont try to get over on me!!

tia,
    cory

She be rolling now ResurrectionZ28's Avatar

vCash
    Its 93-97. You can use a ls1 radiator but its thinner and you have to block off a water port (MitchnTX did this ato his LT1). New it cost near 175 dollars at Auto Zone.

Same thing happen to mine. I broke the small port below the cap, but i just drilled the hole bigger and but in a double sided connector (like plumbing) and put jb weld around it and sealant. It holds up ok kinda ghetto, but it works and so far no overheating issues. Had this done bout 3 months ago.

vCash
    but its plastic. i thought jb weld didnt hold on plastic?

vCash
    Originally posted by 4thgenZ
    but its plastic. i thought jb weld didnt hold on plastic?
    I think JB or somebody makes a plastic "welder", similar to their standard stuff

Registered Member

vCash

Re: radiator

4th gen radiators:

Core thickness:
    1.3" core for 93-96
    1" core for 97
    0.8" core for 98-02

Coolant Level sensor (Passenger side end tank)
    WITH sensor bung: 1993-1999
    WITHOUT bung: 2000-2002

Transmission cooler (driver side end tank)
    WITH fittings: All Automatics.
    WITHOUT fittings: SOME manuals (some manuals had the fittings capped but present).

The LS1 guys can use the LT1-era radiators as upgrades with a small weight penalty. I wouldn't reccomend an LT1 using less than a 1" core though. I have a feeling the LS1 aluminum block took some cooling burden off their radiators... an iron block may not be happy with the slightly reduced cooling capabilty.

Fixing the core (fins and tubes) isn't too bad, but the GM units use plastic on the end tanks that makes repairs a PITA. The Service Manual has a section on tank and core repairs, but it essientally says there's an epoxy ket to fix small leaks.

If you plan on replacing the radiator, make sure you replace the hoses and thermostat, and radiator cap as well. Stant makes a good heavy duty thermostat for LT1's, as well as a 18psi rad cap that has a spring-loaded vacuve valve (instead of the stock gravity-pull valve). Goodyear makes some nice performance hoses for the LT1 as well: http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/.../moreinfo.html (Summit sells them, and you can find guys on Ebay off loading them for ~$100).