Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Camaro Pics

Realtor at RE/MAX Welcome Home mrgto's Avatar

vCash

More Camaro Pics

vCash
    And the press release to go with those pics.

CHEVROLET CAMARO CONCEPT:
    CAPTURING THE TIMELESS SPIRIT OF CAMARO

* Thoroughly modern interpretation of the classic sport coupe
    * Dramatic design, responsive performance

DETROIT – Combining dramatic design and exciting performance, the Chevrolet Camaro Concept recaptures the spirit of one of the most popular sport coupes of all time and redefines the Camaro for new generations of fans.

The Camaro Concept embodies the performance and passion that have made first-generation Camaros some of the most sought-after collector cars, updating the formula with a fuel-efficient powertrain, sophisticated chassis and contemporary design execution. The goal is to make the sport coupe relevant to younger enthusiasts while retaining its appeal to its current fans.

“Millions of people of all ages fell in love with the Camaro for all of the right reasons,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president, global design. “Camaros were beautiful to look at and offered performance that could rival expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new car buyers.”

Though only a show car at this point, the Camaro Concept is intended to explore customer reaction to design and engineering elements that might lead to an all-new version of the Camaro.

The long hood, short deck and wide stance of the Camaro Concept leave no doubt that it is a serious performance car. Those looks are backed up by a 400-horsepower aluminum small-bock V-8, a six-speed manual transmission, and a sophisticated chassis with four-wheel independent suspension.

Like its forebears, the Camaro Concept would be practical enough for everyday use. It features fuel-saving features like Active Fuel Management™ cylinder deactivation technology, yielding highway fuel economy of 30 mpg or better. Its overall size is a comfortable fit for city streets and suburban parking lots, and its back seat provides occasional seating for two adults.

Lean, muscular design

Because of Camaro’s powerful heritage, the GM Design team chose a theme that pays homage to the original Camaro, while being instantly recognizable as an all-new car.

Said Bob Boniface, director of the Warren Advanced Design Studio, “The fact that the Camaro has been out of production for a number of years made it particularly important that the Camaro Concept honors the Camaro heritage in the right way.”

The 1969 Camaro, considered by many to be the best first-generation design, was a significant inspiration. But as GM design teams in Warren, Mich., worked on alternatives for the Camaro Concept, they also turned to the latest Corvette and to aircraft like the YF-22, seeking a design that encompasses the spirit that made the 1969 Camaro great, but interprets that spirit in a fresh, exciting way.

“The overall proportions, long hood and powerful fender forms say, ‘This is a front-engine, rear-wheel drive performance vehicle,’ ” said Tom Peters, design director, rear-wheel drive performance cars. The prominent front grille and hood bulge hint at the power of the Corvette-inspired V-8 engine. Large wheels and tires, exposed high-performance brakes and prominent fender shapes signal that the Camaro Concept has the handling and braking to go with the powertrain.

The cockpit of the Camaro nestles between sharply defined fender forms, a design element inspired by fighter planes and the new Corvette. And like any high-performance vehicle, the clean, purposeful design is integral to the aesthetic. “The Camaro Concept isn’t just a styled shape,” said Peters. “The design incorporates what the vehicle needs to perform to its optimum level.”

The same purposeful design is reflected in the interior of the Camaro Concept. The gauges and splash of orange trim hint at classic first-generation Camaros, but the overall design and execution reflect the no-nonsense functionality that drivers expect from a high-performance Chevrolet sports car.

Performance for the real world

The Camaro Concept features the latest generation of GM’s legendary small-block V-8. The 6.0-liter LS2 engine features an aluminum block and heads for light weight, and Active Fuel Management™, which shuts off four cylinders to save fuel when the engine is lightly loaded. This concept version of the LS2 is rated at 400 horsepower, yet it could also deliver more than 30 mpg at highway speeds.

The Camaro Concept’s six-speed manual transmission provides a wide spread of ratios for aggressive acceleration off the line, confident passing and merging and efficient highway cruising.

Modern sports cars are about more than just straight-line speed, so the Camaro Concept features a sophisticated rear-wheel drive chassis. Its independent front and rear suspension features progressive-rate springs and gas-pressurized dampers. Four-wheel vented disc brakes with 14-inch rotors provide confident stopping under all conditions.

Enhancing both the performance and appearance of the Camaro Concept are unique five-spoke cast alloy wheels, 21 inches in the front and 22 inches in the rear.

An American icon

Designed in the mid-1960s, the first-generation Camaro captured the optimism of an era. The Baby Boomers were in their teens, rock-and-roll and Motown ruled the airwaves, and American culture was sweeping the globe.

Like the Impala, Chevelle and Sting Ray, the new Camaro showcased Chevy’s strength of bringing stylish, high-quality cars to a mainstream audience. Its dramatic proportions and graceful lines recalled both the Corvette and the Italian Gran Turismo cars of the era. And its powertrain lineup, which soon included both the potent Z-28 small block and big block 396s and 427s, gave the Camaro the performance to go with its looks.

But what really made the Camaro an American icon was that it was accessible to millions. Chevy sold more than 699,000 Camaros in its first three years. So for every Z-28 taking the checkered flag at the track, there were thousands of less exotic Camaros cruising the drive-ins, picking up the groceries, or taking the family on vacation.

“The Camaro Concept is designed to have that same broad appeal, with unmistakable style, spirit and performance,” said Welburn.

Vehicle type: two-door, four-passenger rear-wheel drive sport coupe

Wheelbase (in / mm): 110.5 / 2806

Length (in / mm): 186.2 / 4730

Width (in / mm): 79.6 / 2022

Height (in / mm): 53 / 1344

Track (in / mm): 63.8 / 1620 front; 63.3 / 1607 rear

Engine: 6.0-L V-8 LS-2, 400 hp / 298 kw, with Active Fuel Management™

Transmission: six-speed manual T56

Suspension: four-wheel independent: MacPherson strut front, multilink rear, progressive rate coil springs, gas-pressurized dampers

Brakes: four-wheel disc, 14” rotors with four-piston calipers

Wheels: cast aluminum, 21” front, 22” rear

Tires: 275/30R21 front, 305/30R22 rear

vCash
    Fuckin 'ey this car gets better and better every time I see it Even beginning to really like the back end too...

Interior obviously needs some wicked changing, but concepts always have cracked up interiors...

Indy susp on the rear eh? Guess the traditional definition of muscle/pony car is no longer around, 'cept for the slower 'Stangs

This car is fuckin gorgeous
    Last edited by Sir Ringo; 01-09-2006 at 10:08 PM.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: brockv8 PSN ID: brockv8
    i will be on the waiting list if these do in fact come out!!

DrEvyl
    I edited your post to be directly links to the pics.

vCash
    OMG.......that fucking looks good.......

Jesus please let production car look like that......

I think the interior looks fucking great....

Wow, I am really impressed.....

Realtor at RE/MAX Welcome Home mrgto's Avatar

vCash
    Originally posted by DrEvyl
    I edited your post to be directly links to the pics.

Thanks.

vCash
    I am hoping for low weight too, this thing is shorter than the GTO....

186 vs 190 inches....

DrEvyl
    Only think that I'm not real thrilled about is the location of the gauges. Why have the gas gauge, as well as the others, on the center console?

vCash
    THAT ISa BAD MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!

Registered Member Transam Kid 01's Avatar

vCash
    fuggin schweet11

vCash
    Only think that I'm not real thrilled about is the location of the gauges. Why have the gas gauge, as well as the others, on the center console?
    It is a throwback to the 69 with the center console gauge option

vCash
    I bet that might change on production models...

I figure most people would bitch about looking over for the gas gauge...

Registered Member

vCash
    and its back seat provides occasional seating for two adults.
    I just love this line. We need more info like how much will it weight. It it's over 4k what a waste of a good design. It needs be no more then 3500. Also no mention of an auto tranny. Hopefully it will have a 6spd auto with Tap-Shift like the Vette.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: brockv8 PSN ID: brockv8
    when will this come out ? in 2007 as a 2008 model ?

vCash
    I'm sure the interior will get changed quite a fair bit for production...but gauges on the center console is a very obvious retro throwback.

vCash
    Does anybody see any differences between these pics and the others we have been looking at?

The car looks better in these pics for some reason, maybe its the color or something.......God damn it looks good......

vCash
    thats a weird looking radio...interior is pretty gay IMO.....but as was already stated it sure as hell will change....

Would be nice to be able to fit 4 guages in front of the shifter....cylinder deactivation thing is pretty cool too.....doubt we'll see those 21 and 22" wheels on the production car too

vCash
    Originally posted by Larry 02TA
    Would be nice to be able to fit 4 guages in front of the shifter....cylinder deactivation thing is pretty cool too.....doubt we'll see those 21 and 22" wheels on the production car too
    Requisite items for a concept - even if it's a concept that will very obviously make it to production - are huge wheels and weird ass interiors

vCash
    i like it

Then 333 lbs. Now157 lbs. -176 lbs! Mark's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ReefFreak
    I think it has to grow on me.

vCash
    Originally posted by 94BAMF
    Does anybody see any differences between these pics and the others we have been looking at?

The car looks better in these pics for some reason, maybe its the color or something.......God damn it looks good......
    I think it's the angle. The car just looks so fucking mean.

vCash

EVERYTHING I WAS EXPECTING!!@!@!!!

DrEvyl
    Originally posted by 72Tornado
    I'm sure the interior will get changed quite a fair bit for production...but gauges on the center console is a very obvious retro throwback.
    I don't mind that... what I do mind is the GAS GAUGE on the console, but a digital clock between the speedometer and tach. Put the clock on the console, and the gas gauge between the tach and speedo.

vCash
    I'm a wanting one.

vCash
    I can't wait for 69muscle to come in here...

There will be no 5th generation camaro

DrEvyl
    Originally posted by Squid
    I can't wait for 69muscle to come in here...

There will be no 5th generation camaro
    Let's stay on topic here, man.

vCash
    I don't mind that... what I do mind is the GAS GAUGE on the console, but a digital clock between the speedometer and tach. Put the clock on the console, and the gas gauge between the tach and speedo.
    *shrug* I have no problems with my petrol gauge being on the center console I see your point, but the gauge would a) sometimes be obscured by the steering wheel, and b) would have to be rather small to fit in.

vCash
    How could anybody not like the looks of this car? Its not perfect, but damn good starting point....

I think the back might need just a little work, and smaller wheels so that it doesn't look like a hotwheel...

I really am liking the front now....

vCash
    Does anybody think the front looks slightly like a mid 80's Monte Carlo?

Not that that is bad, I like it...

vCash
    Let's stay on topic here, man.
    sorry... PM

vCash
    Does anybody think the front looks slightly like a mid 80's Monte Carlo?

Not that that is bad, I like it...
    No?

DrEvyl
    *shrug* I have no problems with my petrol gauge being on the center console I see your point, but the gauge would a) sometimes be obscured by the steering wheel, and b) would have to be rather small to fit in.
    Personally, I'd prefer to have all the gauges visible in the area of the speedo, so I can keep an eye on them. Maybe add an optional HUD or something, and I'd be cool with that. I don't want to have to be looking at the center console to check oil pressure and temp, and stuff.

Not real thrilled about the shiny trim around the speedo area, either, but I imagine some of that is just for concept purposes.

I do like two things a lot though... No more ridiculously long dash, and you can do an intake swap without busting your knuckles.

vCash

:

How could anybody not like the looks of this car? Its not perfect, but damn good starting point....

I think the back might need just a little work, and smaller wheels so that it doesn't look like a hotwheel...

I really am liking the front now....
    All it needs is a Chevy bowtie delete, with an off centered Z/28 logo.

The car is fucking perfect. The stance, the look, everything about looks great.

It's also shorter on a 9.5 inch longer wheelbase.

Camaro

vCash
    I do like two things a lot though... No more ridiculously long dash, and you can do an intake swap without busting your knuckles.
    Never minded the silly long dash, but the motor being half under the cowl was annoying as crap. Removing the valve covers when my brother's car had a few bent pushrods took me 2 fricking hours...

DrEvyl
    Never minded the silly long dash, but the motor being half under the cowl was annoying as crap. Removing the valve covers when my brother's car had a few bent pushrods took me 2 fricking hours...
    Now you'd be able to do it in like 15 minutes.

vCash
    Bob Lutz's blog on the Camaro. Some interesting stuff

« A Friendly Reminder | Main
    January 09, 2006
    Auto ShowsOne for the Ages

Camaro Concept Car
    Camaro Concept at the 2006 NAIAS

By Bob Lutz
    GM Vice Chairman

Well, by now, many of you have seen the hoopla unfold before your very eyes on our webcast (if not, you can view it online), and the secret is finally confirmed: we introduced a Chevrolet Camaro concept car.

If I had a dime for every time I’ve read the word “Camaro” in your comments on this blog in the past year, I could have financed the concept car out of my own pocket! And I would have… I like it that much.

If anything, it proves that we’ve been listening… to the rear-drive faithful… to the Camaro fanatics… and to those who say GM can’t do anything exciting. I think our design staff did a great job on the concept, which really demonstrates the renewed focus on design throughout GM.

Camaro Concept Car
    Camaro Concept at the 2006 NAIAS

It recaptures the spirit of the first generation Camaro, one of the most popular sport coupes ever, and redefines it for new generations. But, and this is a big but, it’s not just a retro car, it’s a great design in and of itself. It truly demonstrates passion and performance, inside and out… in everything from the deeply-dished aluminum gauge faces and the three-spoke steering wheel to the 400-horsepower aluminum V8 engine mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. The chassis is also state of the art, with four-wheel independent suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. And don’t forget the big tires, 21 inches up front and 22 inches at the rear.

And for those of you who might say, “Well, the Challenger has 35 hp more,” I would just reply that we have a certified 1OO more on tap from the ZO6 engine, should the need arise.

Make no mistake: We would love to build this car. I would love to have one in my garage. But we cannot commit to it just yet. Circumstances dictate that we have other priorities that come first. For now, we’ll just enjoy what we have, and find out what everybody thinks about it, and we’ll make a final decision on it at our earliest opportunity.

Well, what do you think of it?

vCash
    Originally posted by DrewSG3
    OMFG!!!

vCash
    Two words for Bob Lutz..........

BUILD IT!

vCash

BUILD IT!
    All that GM needs to build this amazing car is support for this concept. If they get enough of a positive public reaction from this concept to make them believe this will be a highly profitable venture, then they will build the Camaro. I have no doubts myself - just look at the reaction from the boards!

DrEvyl

BUILD IT!
    And give it a brother.. namely the Firebird.

Doesn't seem right to have a Camaro without a Firebird.

Registered Member

vCash
    the tailights need work- It needs 3 bar tailights like the 69

vCash
    And give it a brother.. namely the Firebird.

Doesn't seem right to have a Camaro without a Firebird.
    Agreed, but we know for sure that the Firebird isn't coming back. It's been said again and again.

vCash
    I am so frickin pumped right now you don't even understand. I was dreaming of this car last night, and I woke up and my palms were sweaty and my heart was racing. I just sat there for like an hour thinking of how sweet this car will be. Unbelievable.

DrEvyl
    Agreed, but we know for sure that the Firebird isn't coming back. It's been said again and again.
    It was said once, and repeated over and over. They said the Corvette was dead once, too.

vCash
    All that GM needs to build this amazing car is support for this concept. If they get enough of a positive public reaction from this concept to make them believe this will be a highly profitable venture, then they will build the Camaro. I have no doubts myself - just look at the reaction from the boards!
    I agree, good reaction so far, but we need to leave nothing to chance....

Evyl, can you set something up, maybe a quick link to Email GM, or something on the forum to get word directly to GM to build this damn car?

I just think we need to spread the word and make it happen....

Air-Rammer Extraordinaire Keyser_WS6's Avatar

vCash
    Honestly, I don't like anything about the car (save the motor).

I guess the thing I liked the most about the exterior of the 4th gen F-body was the sleekness. The new Camaro is anything but sleek looking.

As for the interior, it wasn't fantastic in the 4th gens, but it wasn't the slightest bit retro and it was functional (hell, I've gotten many compliments on the inside of my car). My first impression from these photos is this car is a toy, almost like a spoof on older cars. It just looks like a novelty; fun for a couple years, but ask yourself: "Can I see myself putting 100k+ miles on that?" Well I can't, and the sad truth is it's going to blend in with all the other retro looking cars that will be on the road shortly.

Hell, I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old.

vCash
    Originally posted by Keyser_WS6
    Honestly, I don't like anything about the car (save the motor).

I guess the thing I liked the most about the exterior of the 4th gen F-body was the sleekness. The new Camaro is anything but sleek looking.

As for the interior, it wasn't fantastic in the 4th gens, but it wasn't the slightest bit retro and it was functional (hell, I've gotten many compliments on the inside of my car). My first impression from these photos is this car is a toy, almost like a spoof on older cars. It just looks like a novelty; fun for a couple years, but ask yourself: "Can I see myself putting 100k+ miles on that?" Well I can't, and the sad truth is it's going to blend in with all the other retro looking cars that will be on the road shortly.

Hell, I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old.
    That arguement is all well and good, but based on the sales of the "Retro" Mustang, and the excitement to the Challenger concept and the Camaro concept, I think it is what people want....

I know I do.....

Air-Rammer Extraordinaire Keyser_WS6's Avatar

vCash
    That arguement is all well and good, but based on the sales of the "Retro" Mustang, and the excitement to the Challenger concept and the Camaro concept, I think it is what people want....

I know I do.....
    Maybe you're right. I just don't want to see a spike in sales for like the first couple years (as Camaro enthusiasts jump into one), and then seeing the Camaro "die" again when the public decides it's not a practical daily driver, or if this retro trend takes a U-turn.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DaveyBaby9

I know I do.....

I think the Camaro looks fucking great...

At least it is the least "retro" out of the Mustang and Challenger.

I want a black one please...

vCash
    Originally posted by Keyser_WS6
    Maybe you're right. I just don't want to see a spike in sales for like the first couple years (as Camaro enthusiasts jump into one), and then seeing the Camaro "die" again when the public decides it's not a practical daily driver, or if this retro trend takes a U-turn.
    You also gotta remember it is a concept car, production is not gonna look as much like a "Toy", probably not as aggressive either. But the concept is a damn good starting point in my opinion...

Registered Member

vCash
    I think it's a great looking car. Overall it looks like they have done a great job on it. I love the stance (no more 4x4 look) and I particularly like the easier access to the engine compartment. The 4th gens are a pure bitch to work on. I agree with a few things some have said about ideas for improvement though:

The gages on the console are a cool idea, but not very functional and I'm not particularly fond of the idea of having to look down there to see them. I like Evil's idea of a HUD.

The rear end still needs a little work imo. It looks much better than the earlier concept photos I saw, but I believe it can be improved upon.

Now if they will just commit to building it already! I hope this doesn't get us all hyped up only to never see production.

vCash
    It's starting to grow on me.. but here's a stat that just pops my eyeballs out:

Thats wider then a TAHOE for cripes sake! Hope the real car gets pared down a few inches!

Want a piece? :boxer: transam4life's Avatar

vCash
    The front end neeeds to be changed...otherwise its

vCash
    Originally posted by Rich30N90W
    It's starting to grow on me.. but here's a stat that just pops my eyeballs out:

Thats wider then a TAHOE for cripes sake! Hope the real car gets pared down a few inches!
    Wonder if that is a miss-print?

That is huge....

I bet all that width comes at the rear fenders/tires....

vCash
    I'm wondering if Lutz just said we would see an LS7 in the Camaro.

DrEvyl
    I'm wondering if Lutz just said we would see an LS7 in the Camaro.
    He certainly opened up the possibility.

vCash
    New link for you guys....

LINK

It is a Slide show, alot of people around the car, where is Elmer??

vCash
    I will buy one.

vCash
    More pictures. I'm so fucking happy, been waiting almost 4 years for this day.