Thread: DON'T LOSE YOUR T-TOPS (See HERE)

vCash

DON'T LOSE YOUR T-TOPS (See HERE)

Good Morning all!
    I am posting here as information only. Please, no flames as I am just trying to help someone out that may potentially have an issue down the line.

On Sunday (past), I was lucky enough to be a new member of the "Oh Crap, my T-top Just blew off!" club. I haven't been a happy camper since. I was lucky enough to have found someone local (Thank you SFFBA) that had 2 for sale.

Now, let me lay the facts out before you start reading on. My T-top was latched, no question. It was locked also, so I know 100% that it was latched at the time. I had the windows down and was cruising at about 75 when I started hearing a bad wind noise (just like someone was passing me), then, a split second later, off went my Drivers side T-top. Talk about . Yesterday I picked up a new (to me) t-top and installed it without an issue, but took it one step further.

I looked at the adjusting pin receiver on the rear of the opening. You have to remove a small trim piece to be able to see it. It appeared that only a 1/8 of an inch was making contact and the slide bracket was ALL the way back. This was not good! Checked the passanger side and it wasn't as bad, but still could use some adjusting. What seems to happen is when you go to install your t-top and TRY to latch it, if it isn't PERFECT, it will slightly push that bracket back if you put too much pressure on it. I was able to bring the drivers side bracket snug by adjusting it a 1/4 inch or more. Much better fit. The passagerside was adjust another 1/8 inch for more contact and I am feeling much better.

BTW, locking your T-tops will not garrantee they stay on, it WILL, though, garrantee that your locking pins will stay in place and after looking at how the mechanism works, I would recommend to ANYONE to keep the tops locked at all times. Ounce of protection.

WORD TO THE WISE: PLEASE CHECK YOUR T-TOPS. It will take ten minutes of work, but will save you 100+ bucks in the future!

Good Luck,
    Jonathan Hays
    Last edited by Twister; 04-29-2005 at 12:52 AM.

Retired race car BadCompanyVPWS6's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BadCompanyVPWS6
    I'm going to check mine when I get home, cuz im apart of that club also! and I could have sworn i latched mine down too!!

vCash
    Hey there good post can you post up some pics to go with it , this info would be very good for the newbies with T-tops. I would do it but my camera is dead

vCash
    I thought this was a great post. So I did some adjustments and pictures.

First, Take off the T-top

Next, remove the 2 phillips head screws that hold the trim cover in place and remove cover.

Next, take a 10mm box end wrench and loosen the 2 bolts holding the clamp. Do NOT remove the bolts.

Now, put your T-Top back on, latch it and then slide the bracket adjustment as far as you can toward the rear of the car. The bracket will slide on the T-Top mounting rod. I simply used a small screwdriver to do it.

Then simply tighten up the 2 10mm bolts to secure the latch receiver in place, take off the T-Top and replace the trim moulding.

I must admit, one was good but the driver side was barely doing it's thing. I feel a lot better now that the tops are secured.

Good call on this. It should save a lot of flying T-Tops.

NOTE::: If you are working on the front bracket, the slide with be moved to the rear of the car. If you are working on the rear bracket, the slide will move toward the front of the car. Get as much rod into the bracket as you can without making it too tight to easily insert the window and latch the lock. This note was added to clarify the direction that you move the bracket.

E

vCash
    Thanks E! Looks great!

vCash
    Mod war...Mod War!!

I always thought mine looked a little far back when looking down the crack at the t-top. Plan to check mine today!! Don't want to be apart of that club, that's for sure!!

vCash
    I'm a member of the club. A month after i got my Z28 it happened but i was a newb so i dunno how it happend all i know is my friend was behind me and he said it went pretty damn high and then came down and shattered. I still catch shit for that 2 years later.

I'm real when it's useful. LV2XLR8's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: That LSU Guy

Re: DON'T LOSE YOUR T-TOPS (See HERE)

Originally posted by Twister
    Good Morning all!
    I am posting here as information only. Please, no flames as I am just trying to help someone out that may potentially have an issue down the line.

On Sunday (past), I was lucky enough to be a new member of the "Oh Crap, my T-top Just blew off!" club. I haven't been a happy camper since. I was lucky enough to have found someone local (Thank you SFFBA) that had 2 for sale.

Now, let me lay the facts out before you start reading on. My T-top was latched, no question. It was locked also, so I know 100% that it was latched at the time. I had the windows down and was cruising at about 75 when I started hearing a bad wind noise (just like someone was passing me), then, a split second later, off went my Drivers side T-top. Talk about . Yesterday I picked up a new (to me) t-top and installed it without an issue, but took it one step further.

I looked at the adjusting pin receiver on the rear of the opening. You have to remove a small trim piece to be able to see it. It appeared that only a 1/8 of an inch was making contact and the slide bracket was ALL the way back. This was not good! Checked the passanger side and it wasn't as bad, but still could use some adjusting. What seems to happen is when you go to install your t-top and TRY to latch it, if it isn't PERFECT, it will slightly push that bracket back if you put too much pressure on it. I was able to bring the drivers side bracket snug by adjusting it a 1/4 inch or more. Much better fit. The passagerside was adjust another 1/8 inch for more contact and I am feeling much better.

BTW, locking your T-tops will not garrantee they stay on, it WILL, though, garrantee that your locking pins will stay in place and after looking at how the mechanism works, I would recommend to ANYONE to keep the tops locked at all times. Ounce of protection.

WORD TO THE WISE: PLEASE CHECK YOU T-TOPS. It will take ten minutes of work, but will same you 100+ bucks in the future!

Good Luck,
    Jonathan Hays
    Thanks for the info!

I'm real when it's useful. LV2XLR8's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: That LSU Guy
    Originally posted by eboggs_jkvl
    I thought this was a great post. So I did some adjustments and pictures.

First, Take off the T-top

Next, remove the 2 phillips head screws that hold the trim cover in place and remove cover.

Next, take a 10mm box end wrench and loosen the 2 bolts holding the clamp. Do NOT remove the bolts.

Now, put your T-Top back on, latch it and then slide the bracket adjustment as far as you can toward the front of the car. The bracket will slide on the T-Top mounting rod. I simply used a small screwdriver to do it.

Then simply tighten up the 2 10mm bolts to secure the latch receiver in place, take off the T-Top and replace the trim moulding.

I must admit, one was good but the driver side was barely doing it's thing. I feel a lot better now that the tops are secured.

Good call on this. It should save a lot of flying T-Tops.

E
    Thanks for the pics E!!!

RCFB Member

vCash
    Check'em even if you rarely take them off - my driver's side was barely holding - been off the car maybe 4 times since I bought it new.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AlteredLS1 PSN ID: DeKenn08
    Just got through checking mine. I usually take mine off 5-10 times a year and all of them looked ok. All had about half inch of the bar catching.

vCash
    thanks-will check--mine are off may to october all day,almost every day--also had them off all day yesterday-definately don't wanna lose one..

Registered Member

vCash
    you can also adjust the front mounting tap too, takes a little bit more work, and you have to remove the trim piece that goes down the a-piller...

vCash
    Twister, E, Thank you both for good info.

I have seen so many posts I "swear" I had them latched and of course people think they did not. I even tug on mine a bit when I put them back on because I also thought maybe they did not check them good......

I will be checking my pins BEFORE I go to the track this weekend.

Thanks again.

Light em up Racin

vCash
    checked mine they werent to bad but they are good now!!!

J$ + M$ + W$ + B$ = The $'s

vCash
    One more thing to consider. Make sure they are not TOO tight because when the body flexs, one of the main absorption point is the roof. Of those metal mounts are too tight to the T-Top, you can shatter the glass...Leave a little space but make sure they are still securing the T-Top pins

StickItOnAndStickIt

vCash
    Great thread.

I checked mine yesterday.

Had pins inserted 1/4 inch. Was able to adjust to 3/8.

Thanks

vCash
    Never a problem, that is why we are a community. Everyone that benefitted from this thread needs to send me 50 dollars (think of how much money we saved you, 50 isn't a lot to ask!).... I will be waiting.

vCash
    Um... hold your breath and see if your face will match the color of the shirt in your avatar! The check is in the mail!

vCash
    Can I breathe now? I still haven't seen a check.....maybe the mail is running late!

Registered Member

vCash
    Great info. I'll have to check mine, I never knew this was such a big problem.

vCash
    You guys scared me. Checked mine as soon as I got home, they were both fine though. Great info though.

vCash
    Nice info.. Im going to check mine today, I would not want to lose a T-Top again

Nobody needs a catback...

vCash
    Great post, my ttops have always been a little loose, i will definately check them 2morow

Drinks more than Ted Kennedy

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gettinthere6
    E, perhaps we could copy this to the "How to/Methods and procedures" section?

vCash
    Thats funny, I have a vette in the shop now with the targa top scratched down to the white fibers. He said it blew out on the interstate. $1000.00 gone in the wind....