Thread: How long do coil springs last?

I POP BOTTLES LIKE HOBBIT DOES ZITS Dolemite's Avatar

Blog Entries
    vCash

How long do coil springs last?

Hpw lonmg do coil springs typicallt last on our cars?

My dad said that they last 'forever'

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sweet T Love
    probably longer than you will ever own a car.

You usually dont ever hear someone say "yeah my coil springs were worn out I had to get new ones"

I think it also has alot to do with the modulus of elasticity of the material used. As long as it doesnt ever reach it point of no return the material will always go back to its original shape.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Good.

I was looking into new shocks for my car.

The douche was telling me I 'NEED new springs', even if I was going with some stock deCarbons

I'm almost thinking about going withh some Blistiend

How much do you think I'l pay for installation?

Blog Entries
    vCash
    I was like "uhhh....are you SURE I need coils? I'm not lowering the car, or mouning high-performance shocks

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toothbrushtroll
    Originally posted by Dolemite
    Good.

I was looking into new shocks for my car.

The douche was telling me I 'NEED new springs', even if I was going with some stock deCarbons

I'm almost thinking about going withh some Blistiend

How much do you think I'l pay for installation?
    I'd do new coil springs anyway. You could get some nice springs for 200 or so. I paid 250 to have springs and shocks put on my ss.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Originally posted by stavman
    I'd do new coil springs anyway. You could get some nice springs for 200 or so. I paid 250 to have springs and shocks put on my ss.
    I think that the stock springs would be adequate even for a set of Blistien HD's

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toothbrushtroll
    I think that the stock springs would be adequate even for a set of Blistien HD's
    Yeah, I'm just satying the front coil overs have to come out anyway. It's just one of those things I would do just to have it done. If you wanted to not go any lower you could get the springs from SLP they keep the stock ride height.

vCash
    Go get some coil spring compressers and do it your self yoyu will save at least 100 dollars

vCash
    Originally posted by razortecshooter
    Go get some coil spring compressers and do it your self yoyu will save at least 100 dollars
    Meh...after doing it once, I'd rather pay the $100 if the fancy ever strikes me again. It's worth $100 just to not have to fight with that rusted nut again.

Blog Entries
    vCash
    Originally posted by razortecshooter
    My dad said not to, unless I want a spring through my head

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Satatic
    My dad said not to, unless I want a spring through my head
    I think I'm gonna e-mail mythbusters on this one. Ive compressed a spring and had the spring compressor fail(dont use an impact wrench to compress). Spring didnt launch. Compressor smacked my hand pretty good though. Besides, the f-body suspension isnt that tight where you even need spring compressors. Pickle fork to seperate the ball joins should be sufficient. Its easiest to just cut all the old hardware that holds the shock. Since the new shocks come with new hardware anyway. When possible I just cut the shock itself at the top to rather then trying to hold the shaft thing with a crescent wrench while trying to loosen the nut. Ummm also rub each bushing with grease to eliminate squeeks. I think thats about all the tips.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sweet T Love
    Originally posted by Satatic
    I think I'm gonna e-mail mythbusters on this one. Ive compressed a spring and had the spring compressor fail(dont use an impact wrench to compress). Spring didnt launch. Compressor smacked my hand pretty good though. Besides, the f-body suspension isnt that tight where you even need spring compressors. Pickle fork to seperate the ball joins should be sufficient. Its easiest to just cut all the old hardware that holds the shock. Since the new shocks come with new hardware anyway. When possible I just cut the shock itself at the top to rather then trying to hold the shaft thing with a crescent wrench while trying to loosen the nut. Ummm also rub each bushing with grease to eliminate squeeks. I think thats about all the tips.
    I was taking off a spring compressor when doing mine and all the sudden the end shot off of it and hit my foot pretty damn hard...I used a impact both times I have done it., otherwise it would take all day to tighten them down.