Thread: S2000 Ignition Button

vCash

S2000 Ignition Button

EDIT : pitre's original writeup (still contacts pics and wiring diagrams...

http://members.cox.net/pitre/s2000sw.htm

-------------------------------------------------------

This ones bound to get people in an uproar, as over the years some people just dont get the novelty of this one.

The ignition button is not "rice". Many race cars such as drag racers and track cars have ignition buttons. Exotic sports cars such as Ferarri's, Dodge Vipers, Bentleys, Porsches, etc have ignition buttons. Ignition buttons have been in place in cars for many years before any F-body ever had one.

The fact that this is a Honda part does not make it rice. It does not say anywhere on the button that its from a Honda. The only reason its being used is because of its cosmetic appeal, its ease of installation, and its price.

No, it has no benefit in improving starting the car.

Yes, you still need to use your key.

No, it does not make the car any harder to steal.

Yes, I realize not everyone will like it, but many people do, and from personal experience, of any single mod I have done to my car, the engine start button is the single thing that gets the most "oohs" from new passengers.

With that in mind, here are the instructions on how to wire it up. I did not write these instructions, but I did follow them and they're very well written.

http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/S2000.htm

Heres some pictures:

In this last picture you can see my Ichibahn A4 shift knob. It fits well, feels nice in your hand and works well.

I chose to install my button where the cigarette lighter used to be (since I dont use it), but you can really install it anywhere. Some people chose to put it in the convertible switch panel, and I think one person even tried putting it in the defroster vent on the A-pillar. The functionality of the button is the same.

vCash
    speaking of this mod...anyone ever done this on an LT1 car? i'm assuming the wiring is no different. i just got my s2000 switch in and its been sitting on my desk for about a week waiting to go in. any thoughts? btw constrictor, clean install that looks really good!

vCash
    Im sure the wiring is exactly the same. As a matter of fact, the wiring is probably the same on pretty much any car because most ignition and starter wires are usually the same color.

You should be able to follow that walkthrough to the T. Good luck!

vCash
    My buddy has this on his Cobra and I would love to do it, but I remote start the car too much to need it!!!

Super Moderator

vCash
    i did this mod also! thanks to pitre for all his electrical help. i also did the garage door opener mod when i did this.

the convertable top switch is wired to the garage door opener... and of course the starter button. i also have a hidden cutoff switch for the starter in the ashtray.... along with my power antenna switch

vCash
    hey smiley. do you happen to have the part # and/or price for that convertible switch plate or whatever its called?

Super Moderator

vCash
    this is what i had saved.....

Convertible Top Switch : (F-SW-CONV/T) 10402722
    Mounting Plate : (F-PLT-F/FLR) 10411285

the switch was pretty expensive.... find yourself a discount parts dealer like sal.

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Minty Fresh FTW PSN ID: M1NTY_FRESH_5
    That's pretty damn cool....I think I'm gonna do that!

Super Moderator

vCash
    ps - here's is pitre's oringal writeup. it has been copied on many sites.... the is the complete, real one.....

vCash
    Cool write up! I was thinking about doing it, but I suck @ wiring. I want my car to start every time I drive it!

vCash
    Originally posted by smiley
    ps - here's is pitre's oringal writeup. it has been copied on many sites.... the is the complete, real one.....

For what its worth, I have pitre's writeup mirrored on my site. The link I posted in the first thread is the exact same thing, archived for easy access.

But yes, I take no credit for the walkthrough, pitre did it first.

vCash
    hey Constrictor: Thanks for the idea and for your help last year. I think it came out quite nice. Now if there was only a way to get rid of the chrome trim that doesn't match anything else in the car.....

Super Moderator

vCash
    if i remember correctly.... it was just that plastic chrome stuff wasn't it? think you could paint it?

vCash
    Originally posted by Rotzy
    hey Constrictor: Thanks for the idea and for your help last year. I think it came out quite nice. Now if there was only a way to get rid of the chrome trim that doesn't match anything else in the car.....
    Take a piece of masking tape and tape over the button. Then get an Exacto-Knife or a modeling knife and cut around the edges of the actual button, so that the tape is a perfect circle over the button. Then spray paint the face of the button, and when its dry, peel off the tape, and voila. No more chrome trim.

vCash
    hmmmm, sounds like I have another "winter project." What kind of paint could I use? Model paint, automotive paint?

vCash
    this is what i had saved.....

Convertible Top Switch : (F-SW-CONV/T) 10402722
    Mounting Plate : (F-PLT-F/FLR) 10411285

the switch was pretty expensive.... find yourself a discount parts dealer like sal.
    so smiley, does the TCS switch and the mounting plate come as seperate peices? i always thought it was one complete assembly with the plate and switch together. so i could get the mounting plate without the tcs switch? but what would i put in the hole that would be left..."switchless".

Super Moderator

vCash
    they are seperate items. so you would have to buy a switch to "fill" the hole or make a custom panel. i think i saw a guy fill in the hole on that panel once....

also note - i used the convertable top switch because it is a momentary switch. i do not know the details on the tcs switch....

vCash
    TCS is also a momentary switch!!!

vCash
    what i'm thinking...i'll get the plate. no switch..dont need it dont have a garage. what i could do however is somehow fill part of that hole and put my slp fan switch in its place...hmm...ponder.. will post pics when i figure it out.

vCash
    Welcome to the S2000 club...many people don't know that this is the quickest way to add 10HP to any setup. I felt a HUGE SOTP gain from this mod...

vCash
    How do you get this thing to fit flush and stay in?

Me speed? Never :naughty: RedPhoenix1998's Avatar

vCash
    Should I do this?

vCash
    Originally posted by Chrisrokc
    I took electrical tape and wrapped the shaft of the switch a couple times and then shoved the whole thing into the hole, so that the electrical tape forms sort of a gasket between the switch and the plastic panel. The more tape you use, the tighter it gets and it wont pop back out.

There might be a more elegant way, but it works.

vCash
    Originally posted by Constrictor
    I took electrical tape and wrapped the shaft of the switch a couple times and then shoved the whole thing into the hole, so that the electrical tape forms sort of a gasket between the switch and the plastic panel. The more tape you use, the tighter it gets and it wont pop back out.

There might be a more elegant way, but it works.
    Well, it might not be elegant, but I used some silocone RTV sealant...hasn't budged an inch.

Space and Time

vCash
    Looks REAL nice guys

vCash
    JB Weld. It's not going anywhere!

He once called it the Diggity Dank Hash Brown's Avatar

vCash
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TBone528 PSN ID: HashBr0wn46
    Would I just order this button from a Honda dealership or where?

vCash
    I ordered mine from:
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/
    It cost me $39.25 shipped, but that was almost a year ago. I don't see it listed on their website anymore, but you could probably email/call them for a price. You can also check ebay where they're going for around $50.

vCash
    Search for honda parts on Yahoo. And use majestic honda.... I got mine to my door for 30 something bucks.

Super Moderator

vCash
    if you are very careful when cutting the hole - nothing is needed... look at this pic to see how i shaped my hole and the contours of the starter button.

vCash
    So will this still work for people with remote-start alarm systems?

vCash
    Originally posted by DJ Red Barron
    So will this still work for people with remote-start alarm systems?
    Sure. You tap into the start wire so anytime your key can start the car, the button can too. (Remember, you have to have the key on in order for this to work anyway)

I suppose if you already have a remote start you could wire the start button to the "start activation input." That's the wire that you would use to interface the remote starter with your existing keyless entry module. That way, when you push the start button, it will commence the remote start sequence and start the vehicle without keys.

J$ + M$ + W$ + B$ = The $'s

vCash
    Go to this link:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...searchpart.jsp

and part number 35881-S2A-911

$38 and change shipped.

vCash
    i did this mod also! thanks to pitre for all his electrical help. i also did the garage door opener mod when i did this.

the convertable top switch is wired to the garage door opener... and of course the starter button. i also have a hidden cutoff switch for the starter in the ashtray.... along with my power antenna switch

I'd like to know more about your starter cutoff, I've been looking for kits and such but found nothing but a battery kill. Also, have any pics? Thanks!

vCash
    Originally posted by skytower31
    Go to this link:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...searchpart.jsp

and part number 35881-S2A-911

$38 and change shipped.
    Thanks! That's alot better price than what I've seen them sell for on eBay.

Super Moderator

vCash
    Originally posted by pmpn
    I'd like to know more about your starter cutoff, I've been looking for kits and such but found nothing but a battery kill. Also, have any pics? Thanks!
    it's a cutoff for the starter button. they way i installed mine - the key does not start the car. you must push the button to start the car. i added a hidden switch that enables/disables the starter button. so to start my car, you must have the key in ignition and turned to ON, have the switch turned on, then push the starter button.

usually i leave the cutoff switch on so i don't have to mess with it. but if i leave the car some where i can turn it off. not that i'm worried about some one stealing my car.... but jsut for funnsies and i guess "just in case" .

the hidden switch also controls my power antenna (3 posistion switch).

vCash
    Where'd the pictures go?

What yo momma say, STOMP! 1badls1bird's Avatar

vCash

Re: S2000 Ignition Button

Originally posted by Constrictor
    This ones bound to get people in an uproar, as over the years some people just dont get the novelty of this one.

The ignition button is not "rice". Many race cars such as drag racers and track cars have ignition buttons. Exotic sports cars such as Ferarri's, Dodge Vipers, Bentleys, Porsches, etc have ignition buttons. Ignition buttons have been in place in cars for many years before any F-body ever had one.

The fact that this is a Honda part does not make it rice. It does not say anywhere on the button that its from a Honda. The only reason its being used is because of its cosmetic appeal, its ease of installation, and its price.

No, it has no benefit in improving starting the car.

Yes, you still need to use your key.

No, it does not make the car any harder to steal.

Yes, I realize not everyone will like it, but many people do, and from personal experience, of any single mod I have done to my car, the engine start button is the single thing that gets the most "oohs" from new passengers.

With that in mind, here are the instructions on how to wire it up. I did not write these instructions, but I did follow them and they're very well written.

http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/S2000.htm

Heres some pictures:

In this last picture you can see my Ichibahn A4 shift knob. It fits well, feels nice in your hand and works well.

I chose to install my button where the cigarette lighter used to be (since I dont use it), but you can really install it anywhere. Some people chose to put it in the convertible switch panel, and I think one person even tried putting it in the defroster vent on the A-pillar. The functionality of the button is the same.
    The pics aren't working. Nor is your website, haha. I want to see that shift knob.

Registered Member

vCash
    I was looking everywhere for this walkthrough! Now I find it and the link no longer works.

If anyone has it saved or anything please let me know.

vCash
    Originally posted by ProjectCamaro.com
    I was looking everywhere for this walkthrough! Now I find it and the link no longer works.

If anyone has it saved or anything please let me know.