Thread: Denso 02 sensor questions answered

Engine Lubrication Guru UnleashedBeast's Avatar

vCash

Denso 02 sensor questions answered

After many paragraphs of reading it is known that Denso 02 sensors are the best hands down. After this discovery and many people tesimonies about high octane and leaded fuels not damaging them I knew this was the sensor for me. A no worry part to replace the WEAK factory sensors in are cars now.

About a month ago I was given advice by Xtrooper for a part number on Densos 02 sensors. I wanted to buy a sensor that was ALREADY long enough to be used on LT headers I was about to install, but not have the expense of extentions (I have 70K on the car and was going to replace the sensors anyway. Why not kill 2 birds with one stone and save cash at the same time?). He advised me to buy rear C5 vette sensors which would have worked fine, but.....

Didn't want to spend 71.85 each for them. Why should I? After alot of research I have discovered that ALL sensors built by Denso for the LS1, LS6 front and rear / left and right are ALL THE SAME PART with the exception of the length of wire and the connector style on the end. So...where am I going with this?

Denso part #234-4000 is listed as the "universal" sensor for all LS1 and LS6 engines. It too is the same sensor as all the other part numbers to fit our cars with only one difference. They provide the sensor with 7.83" of wires out of it and crimp style connectors with heatshrink tubing to insulate your splices. You can custom make the length of wire needed and borrow the plug from the old factory 02 sensor your going to throw away anyhow. Those of you like me who solder all the time know how easy it is to do so and will solder instead of crimp. This insures the connection will never break. Now, what is my point in all of this?

You can buy the universal sensor part# 234-4000 for only 51.41 each. Now thats saving you 40.88 on your sensors and it's worth it for what little work has to be done while installing your LTs. Also, don't forget about the 50-70 bucks you will also save on the extentions you would have had to buy. Not to mention a 100% custom link that fits perfect with no extra cable to tie up or cutting corners to make up slack that isn't there. Save the money and buy the best sensor, delete the extra plug of the extention and the cost of it, and make life easier. The sensor even comes with complete wiring diagrams with detailed plug schemematics. Thought this would help others in my position. The pic below is the actual universal sensor. I took these pics with my webcam so the quality isn't the best.

Prices taken from www.sparkplugs.com
    Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 12-21-2004 at 09:02 PM.

vCash
    Almost forgot to give a pic of the diagram to give you an idea how well the instructions are.

vCash
    I agree this would be a good idea.

I use and recommend the Vette rear O2s often. being a avid user of a soldering iron this IS my choice of attachment.

vCash
    Now others can save money like I did and get the same effect.

vCash
    Great info...stickying and copying to archives!

vCash
    UPDATE:

I could not get the solder to bond to the wires used on the Densos. Don't know why, but I had to twist them together and solder them like that. I think that I would just recommend that people use crimp cap style connectors and don't worry with the hastle of soldering. Theses are easy to find at stereo shops in any town USA.