Thread: LM-1 install/HPtuner wiring help

Registered Member

vCash

Help with LM-1 install

I wired my cabling as below and am still having issues with the HPT 1.5 scanner not reporting the same numbers as the LM-1 handheld and software:

LM-1 analog Output 1 Red <-> EIO White (Pin 1)
    LM-1 analog Output 1 Shield <-> EIO Black (Pin 5)

Originally I just plugged it in and the scanner was saying the AFR was 10.x instead of 20.x on the LM-1. If I disconnected the analog cable from the LM-1, the the scanner would report ~12.63.

So I looked around and I saw some folks who said to scale 0:1V=10:20AFR in the Analog Output 1 in the LM-1 software and program the LM-1. I did that and since then all I get from the scanner is 12.63, but the LM-1 handheld & software still report 20.x, and if I blow on the sensor it drops to 19.x on the handheld but I see no change on the scanner.

I then tried using 0V:5V=10:20AFR, but no change on the scanner.

I've reseated all the cables. I verified I have continuity between the 3.5mm stereo tip and Pin 1 & Pin 5 on the pigtail. I've restarted the scanner software.

What da heck

Super Moderator

vCash
    hmmm... i think i remember a thread about hooking it up to atap (hpt wasn't around at the time)..... but i don't remember the specifics.....

Registered Member

vCash
    I fixed it...albeit too late to get the bung welded in today. The A/D inputs are on pre-defined table cells. Once I put it in the correct cell and setup the LM-1 analog output to use 0-5V=10-20AFR, all was good.

Super Moderator

vCash
    can you give us more details on the cell you used? (to help some one do this in the future)?

good work!

Registered Member

vCash
    Sure

LM-1 Analog output (AO) cable: Using shielded connectors, connect the AO's red wire (Output 1) to the white wire (Pin 1) of the EIO interface. Connect the AO's shielded wire to the black wire (Pin 5) of the EIO interface. Used a multimeter to confirm connectivity betweeen the 3.5mm stereo connectors and the appropriate pins in the molex connector. Then wrapped the two connectors in electrical tape.

LM-1 Programmer: Connect the LM-1 handheld to your PC via the serial connector provided. Install/run the LM-1 Programmer and Select the Analog Output 1 tab. Set mode to wideband (not lambda), and set 0V=10AFR and 5V=20AF. Select Program button and exit. Turn off the LM-1 power and disconnect the serial interface, and then turn it back on

EIO Interface: Remove the protective plug which ships installed by default by just pulling it out, and plug in the pigtail we just wired above. It's keyed to only allow installation in a certain manner. Plug the 3.5mm stereo connector into the handheld if not already done so.

VCM Scanner: Open the scanner, then open the table display. The very bottom two rows are Output 1 (Left) and Output 2 (Right). Directly above each of these Outputs are two of the A/D inputs (Input 3 (L) and Input 4 (R)). And the next row above that is the same except Input 1 (L) and 2 (R), respectively. So in this case, since I picked A/D channel 1, I needed to right-click on the field listed as Input 1; choose insert; expand AFR, double-click LM-1, and close that window.

With the LM-1 handheld connected to the sensor and to a 12V source, I was getting a free air reading of ~20.9. However, there is a buffer in the electronics and apparently they don't do well at the extremes of the 0-5V scale. So according to HPTuners, even though my Scanner was reading 19.8, it was working normally.

Logged about an hour of wideband data and filled up 75% of my VE cells. Now if only I could get help on the idle/stalling with the SD tune.

Super Moderator

vCash